NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Keyless keypad doorlocks w/alarms questions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Keyless keypad doorlocks w/alarms questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:  Keyless keypad doorlocks w/alarms questions Reply with quote

Just wondered if anyone is using a keyless entry door lock with alarm on thier houses?? Something like or close to the the Schlage Camelot units-

http://consumer.schlage.com/pr.....0619%20CAM

I'm changing two entry doors & want to go crazy on door locks Laughing Really though, I'm an expert at losing keys & the alarm feature is interesting. Does it work or is the alarm just a problem? Either way, I NEED the keyless entry function. Everyone I've talked with says to go with the Schlage brand vs all others.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I dont have it, but 2 of my brothers use them and it works great. Especially when someone needs to get in and he's not home. He can just give the code. Like if he forgets something at home and has a friend stop by to get it. Safer than leaving a key around

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cool! I'm just so bad with keys that I have to do something. I've had to break into my own house one too many times Embarassed The alarm thing is interesting, just not sure if it would be more of a hassle than its worth. I do have security cameras so the alarm is kind of pointless unless I'm actually home.

As far as brand, at the stores I checked (Lowes, Home Depot & Ace) both suggested Schlage since they are the king of this stuff. I wasnt too sure since they were twice the price of other brands (Kwickset, etc). Most of the reviews I've read say they are pretty much all equal. Not sure where they are made at, that will make a difference.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

as with anything, you get hat you pay for. All those companies have various versions of their items at different price / quality points.

I usually stick with Kwickset or Schlage but steer clear of their cheaper models.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.03

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
1969 Chevrolet Camaro
1990 Chevrolet Silverado
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looks cool, I'de love to have one. Since it's battery powered, I wonder how well it works on those really cold days when batteries respond slow. Anyone know? It likely has a 'backup' key for when the battery dies.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've got the same model on my house (previous owner had installed it). It works well enough, but I still carry a key with me since it will occasionally decide it doesn't want to work.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wound up with these & love them-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K.....BFHON6N5JF

I was unsure at first but they arrived & looked sturdy, plus no batteries to die! Played around with them & took them to a locksmith to get them keyed the same & get his opinion. He the told me they are Schlage parts, just not the name (hence the $59 price). You can code it for 3-10 digits and trust me, its pretty hard to get lucky & hit the right combination (I tried). They have different finishes & the handles can be changed, so they dont look too "commercial." I really have no complaints.

After thinking about it, a door lock with an alarm on it is cool, but not the best for my setup. I have two cameras that cover the majority of the exterior so by the time someone makes it to the door I've got them on camera Wink I'm away at work a lot so a regular monitored is probably a better idea.
Dazzle
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.42

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1988 Jaguar XJS
2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

QuickNick wrote:
I wound up with these & love them-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K.....BFHON6N5JF

I was unsure at first but they arrived & looked sturdy, plus no batteries to die! Played around with them & took them to a locksmith to get them keyed the same & get his opinion. He the told me they are Schlage parts, just not the name (hence the $59 price). You can code it for 3-10 digits and trust me, its pretty hard to get lucky & hit the right combination (I tried). They have different finishes & the handles can be changed, so they dont look too "commercial." I really have no complaints.

After thinking about it, a door lock with an alarm on it is cool, but not the best for my setup. I have two cameras that cover the majority of the exterior so by the time someone makes it to the door I've got them on camera Wink I'm away at work a lot so a regular monitored is probably a better idea.

Looks like a commercial model. Recently went out to Colorado and stayed with my aunt who had the keyless. Was a nice model and very handy.

helldorado wrote:
Don't look at me, I'm still allowed at Chuck-E-Cheese and on match.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: