NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2003 3.4L stalling, 2nd fan not coming on with A/C
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2003 3.4L stalling, 2nd fan not coming on with A/C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelbeck

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:  2003 3.4L stalling, 2nd fan not coming on with A/C Reply with quote

Ok I'm having 2 issues with my wife's 2003 3.4L.

First (and biggest problem) is every once in a while the car will just shut off while she's driving. It will start right back up, and it only seems to happen when it's at normal temperature. There are no trouble codes and the light isn't on.

Second, when the A/C is on the 2nd (passenger side) fan is supposed to be on. On this car it goes on for a few seconds then shuts off, when it gets up to speed it sounds like it's rattling, like it has a bad bearing or something. Would that cause it to shut off? Maybe it can't get up to full speed and the computer senses that? Anyway when the A/C is on the temperature keeps climbing since that fan's not on, I've told my wife to keep the A/C off until I figure out what's going on here.

Are these two issues related? Any ideas about either problem?

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject:  Re: 2003 3.4L stalling, 2nd fan not coming on with A/C Reply with quote

mikelbeck wrote:

First (and biggest problem) is every once in a while the car will just shut off while she's driving. It will start right back up, and it only seems to happen when it's at normal temperature. There are no trouble codes and the light isn't on.

Second, when the A/C is on the 2nd (passenger side) fan is supposed to be on. On this car it goes on for a few seconds then shuts off, when it gets up to speed it sounds like it's rattling, like it has a bad bearing or something. Would that cause it to shut off? Maybe it can't get up to full speed and the computer senses that? Anyway when the A/C is on the temperature keeps climbing since that fan's not on, I've told my wife to keep the A/C off until I figure out what's going on here.

could be off balance check and see if there is any broken fan blades
mikelbeck

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:  Re: 2003 3.4L stalling, 2nd fan not coming on with A/C Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
mikelbeck wrote:

could be off balance check and see if there is any broken fan blades

Would that cause the fan to stop altogether?

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So I think I fixed the stalling problem, I was poking around and saw that the big hose that goes from the MAF to the ait cleaner box wasn't on right, the bottom of the gasket was kind of folder under itself and wasn't sealing. I fixed that and ever since it hasn't stalled.

With the fan for the A/C... the other day I took it out for an hour long drive and had the A/C on. The fan kept coming on, running for a few seconds and then turning off again. The temp never got past half-way unless I was stopped at a light for a long time and then it was only a little bit past half-way but then dropped again once I started moving and the fan came on again. Is this fan supposed to stay on all the time or is this normal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: