NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Paint bumper trim? Or different bumpers?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Paint bumper trim? Or different bumpers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:  Paint bumper trim? Or different bumpers? Reply with quote

Do you all think it would be easier (cost effective) to have a body shop sand/prime/paint the textured bumper trim on the front/rear of my '01 LS.. or just easier to get different bumpers (smooth trim) and have them painted?

I ask because I was thinking of buying a rear bumper off an '05 LS (smooth trim) and the guy also has the front too but I can't decide if I should buy the rear, the rear and front, or none at all and just have a body shop do the bumper trim.

I'd rather have an SS front but I'm not quire sure where to acquire that. I see Rock Auto has 2 different versions of the front bumper... minus lower trim extensions though and I don't remember where I last came across the lower extension needed (new).

Thoughts/Comments? Anyone have pics of their textured trim converted tosmooth via body work?

Thanks

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.59

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I say cheaper to buy the bumpers, body shop labor is prob close to $100 per hour and there will be a few hours of sanding and body work to smooth them out.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I read an older thread where people were saying to paint the stock trim, but I thought it seemed labor intensive vs painting a different one and installing it. I didn't know if I should reply that thought in the old thread or not, so I thought I'd start a more current one. I have the side trim, just need bumpers. Guess I'll go buy the rear one off that guy for sure.

Anyone know where the best place is to get the front SS complete aftermarket?

Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:  Re: Paint bumper trim? Or different bumpers? Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
Do you all think it would be easier (cost effective) to have a body shop sand/prime/paint the textured bumper trim on the front/rear of my '01 LS.. or just easier to get different bumpers (smooth trim) and have them painted?

I ask because I was thinking of buying a rear bumper off an '05 LS (smooth trim) and the guy also has the front too but I can't decide if I should buy the rear, the rear and front, or none at all and just have a body shop do the bumper trim.

I'd rather have an SS front but I'm not quire sure where to acquire that. I see Rock Auto has 2 different versions of the front bumper... minus lower trim extensions though and I don't remember where I last came across the lower extension needed (new).

Thoughts/Comments? Anyone have pics of their textured trim converted tosmooth via body work?

Thanks
I would just paint it textured 2 coats is enough

Plastic primer and YOUR car color ... you can get Custom spray can mixes at car quest.

If you do it right it will not be textured.

be sure to use gooe off since your plastic is paint phobic from all the crap that has been going on it.
make it's warm too and No wind that day .

also use a respirator and eye goggles

be sure TO cove the whole car with with packaging paper (normally the cheapest option)
you will need 10-15 rolls(dollar each at the dollar store.) you do not want to get spray paint else where on the car..

it's a pain in the ass getting it off (trust me on that one) it will add about 2-3 hours to you work time

I Painted the center of the grille it looks so much better the plastic chrome color
also did the center emblem as well

My friend thought it was a ford crown vic police car with a Chevy logo lol
(he does smoke weed but medical weed though..)

how much you willing to spend for a SS front bumper?

I found a SS locally for 3500

there was some one here that would pay a grand for one

if every one chipped in we can get the parts we all want
Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: