NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - The Parts Have Arrived
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

The Parts Have Arrived

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Cool The Parts Have Arrived Reply with quote

Lower control arms

Steering rack bushings

Sway bar bushings

End links

Poly square upper front engine mounts
All parts are Moog, except the poly square are from Intense.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.81

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Those sway bar endlinks look kinda odd to me. They look nothing like the Moog ones I had on my Monte. Did they change designs or did you get the non poly one?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Those sway bar endlinks look kinda odd to me. They look nothing like the Moog ones I had on my Monte. Did they change designs or did you get the non poly one?

I got Poly, I installed all of the parts except the rack bushings, may need to replace the rack. I found other things that need replacing, just have to order the parts. Here's some pictures of the completed work;

The parts are original and nine years old. Here are some pics;

The end links weren't that bad, the front bushing on the control arms were separating from the metal sleeve and had cracks in the rubber.
I also found this;

See the rubber has cracks in it, no grease around it. I hope that means there's grease on the inside. I'll be ordering the tie rod ends tomorrow.
The only issue is you have to remove the cv axle to torque the lower ball joint nut. I didn't do it, I just tightened as much as I could with the wrench. Maybe I'll remove the axle and do it when I replace the tie rod end.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.81

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's amazing what you will find when you start tearing into the suspension. I replaced most of mine with the exception of the lower control arms. Most of the time it was because something broke or got stuck when I was trying to do something else... (mother f***ing tie rods.... Laughing )

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea, don't want them to break on me.

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.14

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looking good Cool
Might as well toss in some braided brake hoses while your in there-

I just did a total suspension/brake "everything" rebuild over the winter, just about the same thing your doing. The braided hoses did help pedal feel, plus they are going to last longer than the car. I think it was $75 for the front/rear set.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.11

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

QuickNick wrote:
Looking good Cool
Might as well toss in some braided brake hoses while your in there-

I just did a total suspension/brake "everything" rebuild over the winter, just about the same thing your doing. The braided hoses did help pedal feel, plus they are going to last longer than the car. I think it was $75 for the front/rear set.

I agree, I have steelbraided brake lines and love them!

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.52

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Very nice job on the suspension parts. Good choice on the brand also. By the way, those tie rod ends aren't really a big enough issue to worry about with the boot cracking unless it is leaking or the part is bad there's no reason to replace those. Once you put the wheel back on with the car jacked up in the air, grab the tire and shake back-and-forth. If you feel any clunking then there may be a tie rod end that needs to be replaced. also, if you were going to replace the steering rack you will get new inners with it and that would be a good time to replace the outers

Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
Very nice job on the suspension parts. Good choice on the brand also. By the way, those tie rod ends aren't really a big enough issue to worry about with the boot cracking unless it is leaking or the part is bad there's no reason to replace those. Once you put the wheel back on with the car jacked up in the air, grab the tire and shake back-and-forth. If you feel any clunking then there may be a tie rod end that needs to be replaced. also, if you were going to replace the steering rack you will get new inners with it and that would be a good time to replace the outers

I only ordered the outer tie rods, I'll keep them boxed until I really need them or figure out the status of the rack. There's oily residue on the rack, nothing dripping. I cleaned it, now just waiting to see where it's seeping from.

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:  Steering Rack Reply with quote

Other than stock, which steering rack is good to install. Ac Delco, Atsco, A1 Cardone, etc.

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Here's a video showing the condition of the tie-rod ends;

Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.81

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I thought this car was being sold...

Sold 28/10/11
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
I thought this car was being sold...

I never posted that it was for sale, gonna drive it till the wheels fall off. Burnout

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.14

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If those tie rods break, they may fall off Laughing Kidding!

You've already done just about everything else, why not just do the tie rods for "peace of mind." Your going to have to do it anyways, why not do it when YOU have time before it gets ugly & has to be done?

Besides shaking the wheel side to side, you can feel when they are going by doing a slow sharp turn. Like a tight 15mph curve in the road. If they are going youll feel a light "skipping" in the car. Our cars use pretty weak outers, same as Grand Prix's. My 96 GP ate tie rods Twisted Evil and these are interchangeable. Stay away from cheap store brands unless you like changing them once or twice a year! A lifetime warranty doesnt mean crap if you replace it over & over. Spend the extra for Moog. If your careful/creative you can get the alignment close enough in the garage. If it gets frustrating the worse thing is getting an alignment.

No help with the rack, sorry. Again, I'd stay away from "super cheap" remans with a lifetime warranty. Steering is one area that you really shouldnt try to save a buck. You have a nice car with good mods, cant go cheap where it really counts!

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: