NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Suspension delimma
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Suspension delimma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:  Suspension delimma Reply with quote

so on my trip to VA i thought i had a slack tire, cause my ass end was all over the place. got out to check and everything seamed fine, did the trip (4 hrs one way) got back home the problem was worse. so after working on some side jobs i went ahead and crawled under there and noticed my passengers side rear strut was leaking all over the place the drivers side just started.

so heres my delimma im ok with stock "SS" struts but it might take a lot of money, ill be doing the work myself no question there. but if im going to replace my struts then what about dropping it a little maybe a 1". i dont know anything about dropping, if i touch the suspension on anything (my trucks) it goes up. so i dont know any known good suspension company. and can it stay around the same price as replacing my old struts with OEM or like OEM.

Also i dont mind the firmness of the SS, and would like to keep the handling. but it is a family car and i dont think i want it too firm

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I like taller stiffer springs with a little more ground clearance, so when I replaced my springs I stuck with the 9C1 springs. I also used KYB GR-2 struts (I'm on my second set)...OEM may be a little nicer, but you really can't go wrong with the GR-2's.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm with Frank. The GR2s (or ExcelG's as I think they are called these days) and AGXs from KYB are the only respectable aftermarket strut for the W-body. I had Vogtland springs on AGXs and loved the way the car rode and enjoyed having the adjust-ability for long drives. If you are going to drop it and want to keep the car for a while, I'd go for the AGXs or you run the risk of doing the job again. If you don't want to drop it the GR2s/ExcelGs are a fine choice.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.24

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I replaced my front with Gr-2's and have no complaints at all.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
gwjturner

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I installed the Moog assemblies for the police/taxi (FE4) and they really firmed up the ride and performance over the factory FE2 struts. Not so firm that the family is uncomfortable but firm enough to stop the leaning!
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

first time really dealing with struts but how do you know and do you have to replace the top strut mounts?

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The front strut mounts will almost certainly need to be replaced on a ten year old car. Just go ahead and buy them. The rears are a little more forgiving and will likely be OK.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
The front strut mounts will almost certainly need to be replaced on a ten year old car. Just go ahead and buy them. The rears are a little more forgiving and will likely be OK.

I would still replace the rear mounts. I didn't and they started creaking a year or 2 after installing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: