NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - What's everyone like for tires?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

What's everyone like for tires?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:  What's everyone like for tires? Reply with quote

Just wondering about people's tire opinions for our cars. I just bought a set of Kuhmo Ecsta PA31's for my summer wheels off tirerack. They're one of the higher rated in consumer ratings (4/5 stars with plenty of reviews- including a bonnie ssei which helped me seal the deal), and a pretty good bargain. They ended up being 440 shipped, but they are running a $50 rebate special for this month. Anyway, just wondering what people like/dislike in tires.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have 2 sets, Blizzacks in the winter. For summer, I have a set of firestone 710's. For 300 bucks can't go wrong.
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
I have 2 sets, Blizzacks in the winter. For summer, I have a set of firestone 710's. For 300 bucks can't go wrong.

yeah firestone winterforces are my snows.
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've been using Uniroyal Tigerpaws...this last set are Michelins, not sure which ones. Anyone know of a RWL or OWL tire still manufactured for larger than 15" wheels?

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I ran BFGoodrich KDW2 on the SS for summer, they stuck like glue once you get a little heat in them. For winter I had some all seasons, dont remember which.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had several sets of Bridgestones after I finally got rid of the god awful RSAs that came on the car. I only ran all season tires, but I really liked the Potenza RE960ASs I put on the car initially until a shoddy alignment chewed out the rear tires early. I also ran Potenza GRID G009s with great results as well. Ill probably seek out something similar for my Malibu whenever the tires on there finally quit on me.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I had several sets of Bridgestones after I finally got rid of the god awful RSAs that came on the car. I only ran all season tires, but I really liked the Potenza RE960ASs I put on the car initially until a shoddy alignment chewed out the rear tires early. I also ran Potenza GRID G009s with great results as well. Ill probably seek out something similar for my Malibu whenever the tires on there finally quit on me.

What did you not like about the RSA's? That's what I'm running now. I am not particularly crazy about how they've done in the rain.

Looking at some Pirelli PZero Nero 235/50/18 and Falken ZE912 245/45 just because I can get each set for about $400.

It just seems to me,thru reviews and various opinions,that it depends a lot on how the car is set up/maintained,driving habits,and conditions. Tends to be very confusing IMHO.

Thanx

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've been using Michelin Harmony tires on my car for last 2 years or so. Pretty good I guess. No problems with them.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

patyson wrote:

What did you not like about the RSA's? That's what I'm running now. I am not particularly crazy about how they've done in the rain.

In the dry, I had no complaints about them. However in the rain or snow they became a nightmare. One of my favorite comments about the RSAs I've ever read was something to the effect of 'in the rain, it feels like some little elves came out and greased up the tires the night before'. I always knew they were crappy, but once I got some real tires on the car, it was clear they were subpar tires.

Dan wrote:

d
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
patyson wrote:

In the dry, I had no complaints about them. However in the rain or snow they became a nightmare. One of my favorite comments about the RSAs I've ever read was something to the effect of 'in the rain, it feels like some little elves came out and greased up the tires the night before'. I always knew they were crappy, but once I got some real tires on the car, it was clear they were subpar tires.

Any experience or feedback regarding the other two I mentioned?

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't have any first hand experience with either brand, so I can't weigh in on those particular tires.

Dan wrote:

d
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had the Pirelli PZero Nero on the SS for off season use. No problems with them. I always likes them

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So no one runs Kumho's?
labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ive tride a few diff sets of winter tires and nokian hakkas are my fav. Im on my 4th season on mine and finally pulled the studs. I abused them or they would have lasted me longer. Very good rubber and amazing stud quality. For summer tires I never really cared

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dan073eb wrote:
So no one runs Kumho's?

Second hand opinion, for what thats worth here Wink A friend has a G6 that likes to eat up tires. He went through 2 sets of BFG Traction T/A's (I think that was it). First set was replaced under warranty then the new set wore just as fast. He got pissed & ordered some Kumo's.

Around here Kumo's have always been "cheap throw away tires" that you dont expect much from. I ran them on the front of my drag car since mileage wasnt a concern & they were dirt cheap. Well, the Kumo's have been on my friends G6 for 2 years now & doing leap years better than the BFG Traction T/A's did. That G6 is not driven like a little old lady either, just saying Laughing I would not hesitate to buy the Kumo's, they have improved greatly from what they used to be. $110/final price each is not that bad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: