NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - The Gun Thread
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

The Gun Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.99

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:  The Gun Thread Reply with quote

Anybody else here into firearms?

This is my latest purchase/build. Got it a couple months ago. Shot it for the first time yesterday (finally warm enough to be outside lol).

Post what ya got in this thread!

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.06

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Real fun too shoot and ammo is real cheap. It's not bad for a 73 year old bolt action rifle. Sorry I've never taken any pics yet.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
gopedxr7
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.46

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1996 Chrysler Grand Voyager
2003 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1989 Suzuki Vitara
2012 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
A few weeks ago I purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Real fun too shoot and ammo is real cheap. It's not bad for a 73 year old bolt action rifle. Sorry I've never taken any pics yet.

mosin nagant is my latest want. ammo is so cheap. debating to get that or a SKS as my next riffle

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gopedxr7 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:

mosin nagant is my latest want. ammo is so cheap. debating to get that or a SKS as my next riffle

Mosins are pretty cheap. I got mine at a local gunstore for $150. Now I REALLY want an SKS. They been driving the price of those up lately.

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Five0two
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.12

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You guys who have/want Mosins better snap up ammo quick.
Some douchebags called Black Horse Arsenal plan on making what's basically a pistol chambered in 7.62x54R.
This will drive up the price of the ammunition considerably, if not get it outright banned from import.
Black Horse has said they understand what will happen, but plan to go ahead and make the gun anyway. Asshats.
Don't get me wrong, this looks awesome, but is it worth the fallout?

gopedxr7
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.46

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1996 Chrysler Grand Voyager
2003 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1989 Suzuki Vitara
2012 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Five0two wrote:
You guys who have/want Mosins better snap up ammo quick.
Some douchebags called Black Horse Arsenal plan on making what's basically a pistol chambered in 7.62x54R.
This will drive up the price of the ammunition considerably, if not get it outright banned from import.
Black Horse has said they understand what will happen, but plan to go ahead and make the gun anyway. Asshats.
Don't get me wrong, this looks awesome, but is it worth the fallout?

what a bunch of @$$h0L3s!!!!!!

not worth it for the 5 people that may actually buy it.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Better buy a 880 round spam can. Very Happy

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.09

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just be careful with the canned ammo in the 7.62 54R...they like to corrode the barrel. If I remember correctly, its the powder used in the primer has a salt base to it... All I know is that I'll shoot a few rounds through the mosin then spend a couple hours trying to clean it... Now the Ruger 10/22 Takedown I got for christmas last year is a lot of fun Very Happy

Five0two
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.12

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Corrosive ammo isn't anything bad. The salt in the primer just makes it last longer Smile

This is from 7.62x54r.net
Hoppes #9 is your best bet.

Quote:
After shooting corrosive ammunition some special considerations are necessary. All surplus 7.62x54r ammunition is “corrosive” which simply means that the chemical compound of the primer contains salts which are left behind in the bore and will attract moisture eventually causing rust. The ammunition is not corrosive in the sense that it is acidic and will cause immediate damage to the firearm and with proper cleaning corrosive ammunition will do no more harm than non-corrosive ammunition. Corrosive primers have a much longer shelf life than non-corrosive primers and this is the reason they were used in the Eastern Bloc long after Western militaries switched to non-corrosive primers. The benefit to shooters is cheap surplus ammunition that is still reliable after fifty years or more, with more meticulous cleaning being the trade off. When corrosive ammunition is used the firearm should be cleaned as soon as practical with higher humidity necessitating faster action than lower humidity. It is best to take basic cleaning supplies to the range and clean immediately after the end of the shooting session with a more thorough follow up later. Many shooters have strong opinions on the cleaning solutions and steps to take after using corrosive ammunition. A mixture of water and ammonia or glass cleaner (Windex) with ammonia is popular, but requires a thorough drying and cleaning with solvents followed by application of oil to prevent rust from the water based solutions themselves. Ammonia can discolor stock finishes and should be used with care, preferably removing the stock completely. Boiling water poured down the bore is a method dating back to the days of blackpowder muzzle loaders. While it is effective and the heat transferred to the metal will usually be enough to evaporate any remaining water it requires preparation time and equipment. An accidental spill of boiling water can also be dangerous and there is a chance that water will find its way into the barrel/receiver threads where it can’t be removed. The stock should also be removed to keep it dry and a thorough application of oil is required. At this point many have probably sworn off corrosive ammunition for life, but cleaning after its use doesn’t have to be as complicated as some shooters make it. The old stand by of Hoppe’s #9 was created when corrosive primers were the norm and is formulated to remove the salts which can cause damage. All that is necessary is standard cleaning using Hoppe’s #9, or any other solvent formulated specifically for corrosive ammunition, but paying particular attention to any areas possibly contacted by gases from powder ignition. Other than the bore this would include the bayonet if fixed, the end of the barrel, and even the front sight due to the large fireball produced by some surplus ammunition, especially in carbines. The bolt head and firing pin should also receive particular attention as there is a chance of gas leakage between the primer and its pocket. If surplus ammunition is used regularly the shooter will eventually experience a pierced primer, evident by a puff of gas in the face, which can be due to a soft primer cup or a firing pin with too much protrusion. In this case the bolt should be fully disassembled, except for the extractor, and thoroughly cleaned and lubricated and extra attention should be given to the inside of the receiver and magazine. This applies even if the ammunition is non-corrosive as the hot gases will evaporate any oil leaving no protection or lubrication. Occasionally the idea is proposed that shooting non-corrosive primed ammunition after shooting corrosive primed ammunition will physically remove the salts in the bore. This seems like a waste of expensive ammunition and it is questionable whether it would do any good for areas like the bolt face, firing pin, exterior muzzle, and bayonet. Regardless the firearm should still be cleaned and if a solvent formulated for corrosive primers is used there is no extra work or expense involved.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looks like the OP has a Romanian Wasr accessorized to look like an AR-15. My 1st career was being a GM parts guy at several dealers in South Florida. I retired, but got bored, so now I work at a gun store selling all the neat toys. Here in Florida, unlike northern states, or Canada, you can walk in the store, pay cash, & wait 2 minutes while I call NICS to do a background check. Now you're on your way home with your new best friend. Personally, I've owned just about everything there is to have. I'm big into AK's, FAL's, HK's, UZI, MAC 10, & others. I recently picked up a compact 1911 to carry, but I used to carry a Beretta. Working in the business I handle all the new guns, & the newest must have is the Israeli Tavor. On weekends I help the owner at local gun shows, where we sell 50-60 guns. Funny, my other hobby is ham radio, & many of my radio pals are my gun pals. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.75

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't own any guns myself, but I'll go out shooting with a coworker that has a small armory every few months. First time we went out, he brought out 2 revolvers (a 22 and a 38), 2 pistols (a 9 mm and 45) plus 2 ARs (a 223 and a 308).

Had a hell of fun witj the hand guns, but I was really into the ARs. My buddy thought it would be fun to tell me the 308 wasn't gonna kick much more than the 223. I put about 80 rounds through the 223 and figured I'd be fine with the 308. Damn thing kicked like a mule and I had to cry uncle after putting 4 rounds through it. Ended up with a bruised shoulder because I didn't properly brace myself while shooting that one.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Damn I wish I could afford a 1911. A 308? You pansy. Razz

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.75

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
A 308? You pansy. Razz

When you are expecting the same general force as a 223, it's certainly a surprise. Laughing

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
A 308? You pansy. Razz

When you are expecting the same general force as a 223, it's certainly a surprise. Laughing

Yeah, it's a pretty decent step up. Still pretty fun though once you get used to them.

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yipeeee! Just got my 1st tax stamp today. Won't be my last. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: