NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Speedo motor about dead
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Speedo motor about dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.49

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:  Speedo motor about dead Reply with quote

My speedometer motor basically just about died last night. Turned off the car and it stuck at 20mph but will move upon acceleration. Right when it happened i though i would just pull it out and send it to BBE, but then i remembered he no longer is doing anything like that anymore.

How hard is it to replace the motor? I thought of doing a cluster upgrade but dont want to spend the money because i dont know how much longer i am gonna keep the car. Just ticked 80k on the clock and my tranny feels sluggish as hell, wont grab 1st all the time, have the notorius driver side front window problem so it wont go up, and my climate control lights are on the way out.

Maybe i just need to get down to Hotsauce this summer Cool

EDIT; how easy is it to do? ive read some other forums and some how tos and it seems easy but im scared of the soldering part. I have only soldering a few speakers into a couple cars but i know this is much more sensitive to heat. I dont want to try and do this myself for a cheaper fix then have to go drop 500-700 bucks at the dealer for a new cluster because i messed the circuit board up

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just recently picked up an extra 6 gage cluster at the local U-Pick for $25. That's got to be cheaper, & easier than repairing your cluster. Check out a yard in your area. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It shouldn't be too bad to replace on your own as long as you have a high quality adjustable soldering iron, The cheap ones will burn up the board much easier than a good one.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Chamber

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It is not very difficult (I replaced all 6 of mine several years ago). It is helpful to have or get a "desoldering tool", like this one: http://www.radioshack.com/prod.....soldering. This makes it easy to remove the old stepper motors without melting the board.

You should be able to pick up a set of 6 steppers (if one went, it is likely the others aren't far behind so you may as well replace them all) on Amazon or Ebay for under $20.
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My needle has been sticky for awhile upon acceleration. Weird thing is i let the car sit for a night and the needle went from being stuck at 25 back to 0 and it works normal now. Well, besides it being a little sticky and not smooth movement. Im gonna keep it as it is until it stops working again.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor

Posts per day: 1.5

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gg05impala wrote:
My needle has been sticky for awhile upon acceleration. Weird thing is i let the car sit for a night and the needle went from being stuck at 25 back to 0 and it works normal now. Well, besides it being a little sticky and not smooth movement. Im gonna keep it as it is until it stops working again.

Had the same thing happen to me.
Replaced the motor and im good to go.
I can replace it if you want. Or come down one Saturday and we can do them together. Im only an hour and a half from you, if that.

I wrote a how to on replacing it. Check it out.

gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

HotSauce6226 wrote:
gg05impala wrote:

Had the same thing happen to me.
Replaced the motor and im good to go.
I can replace it if you want. Or come down one Saturday and we can do them together. Im only an hour and a half from you, if that.

I wrote a how to on replacing it. Check it out.

I am gonna check it out and i will keep that in mind.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Don't be tricked into buying cheap steppers from some 3rd world country. Buy the OEM Switec/Juken #X27168 OEM motors. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: