NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Radiator, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump replacement easy?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Radiator, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump replacement easy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:  Radiator, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump replacement easy? Reply with quote

Took my car to the shop due to some whining and a sloshing sound. DexCool III strikes again! Radiator is toast, and so is the water pump. Plus, my Power Steering pump is dead. And for an extra bonus, they said the thermostat is bad, and the supercharger pulley is in pieces. So new pulley and belts all around.

I know I can do the thermostat, supercharger pulley, and belts, since I did them when I bought the car.

And since I'm removing belts anyway, how hard is it to change the power steering and water pumps? I saw that the power steering pump requires moving the pulley. Is a pulley puller I get from Advance or AutoZone going to work to remove the supercharger pulley as well?

Finally, the big one. How about the radiator? I looked through the Haynes manual, and it doesn't LOOK hard since it's in the front. And since I have to drain coolant, I figure I can drain the coolant, and then just take out the coolant reservoir to make the belts and pumps easier.

I know this isn't a one day job; best case I spend half the first day just removing things.

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. K&N Air filter. Can't do much else on a hybrid.

Totaled 9/19/2016 - 2004 Impala SS, Performance Car - ZZP ECM 1.0, 3.4" Pulley, K&N Cold Air Intake, TOG Headers, Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat, SLP Power-Flo Cat-Back Exhaust, Autolite 104s, PRJ Performance Ignition wires, GMPP Handling Kit
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

imo this "garage" seam to be guessing at whats bad. hows your pulley in pieces and still intact?

i can see the rad getting gummed up even the heater core but for them to say the water pump is bad and so is the t state sounds like they see it running a little hot and want to replace everything they can.
A. get the most money out of you
B. make sure they "fix" the problem, so you wont come in complaining they ripped you off.
before you start replacing parts i would get the system flushed. if i can recall right the hardest part of everything is trying to get the water pump off in one piece cause if it breaks you will have a nipple stick in the block held in by a o ring

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I"ve only had Dexcool III in the car, so I'm not surprised that it's all gummed up. And the power steering pump whine is something I also noticed in my Grand Prix years ago. Replaced it, whine gone. Water pump? I'll take a look myself, but yeah, I would think if the car was constantly overheating it's bad, but it hasn't overheated since I've owned it.

Thermo, I have one so I'll do that myself as well. And I'll see for myself the condition of the pulley and belts. I think they just threw the replacement belts on there just because they have to come off anyway. The main drive belt has never been changed, so I'll take a look at that. And the supercharger belt was swapped 70K miles ago, so it might be due.

Not saying their 100% right, nor you are, but everything SEEMS plausible due to the issues I've had with the car recently, except for the pulley stuff.

Totaled 9/19/2016 - 2004 Impala SS, Performance Car - ZZP ECM 1.0, 3.4" Pulley, K&N Cold Air Intake, TOG Headers, Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat, SLP Power-Flo Cat-Back Exhaust, Autolite 104s, PRJ Performance Ignition wires, GMPP Handling Kit
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.6

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know there is a specialized puller for the SC pulley. I screws into the end of the post that the pulley is pressed onto.

Ive never heard of a pulley going bad, the coupler / bearings go over time, but the pulley is just a chunk of metal.

Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Water pump isn't bad but it's worse than the power steering pump...you have to clean the mating surfaces and ideally seal up the flange on the new water pump with RTV unless you get a rubber gasket (they usually come with paper gaskets and I don't trust them so I RTV the snot out of them). The power steering pump has to come out to be able to get to the water pump anyway (turn the PS pulley to be able to access the two mounting bolts through it) and the power steering pulley pullers are fairly cheap - you could probably get one as a loaner tool at your local parts store.

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I found which pulley it was. I never noticed it because it's always been like it is. For those with a supercharger, it's a 3" grooved idler pulley, to the front of the engine. Tthe first one after the S/C pulley. It looks like two grooves are missing. $10 on RockAuto for 89009.

Luckily I have another vehicle, so I can take my time doing this.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The tech's at work usually use 3M 8001 which is that yellow glue for paper water pump gaskets, or for problematic leaky valve cover gaskets. They come to the counter & ask for a tube of "gorilla snot". Guaranteed to never leak. GARY

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
The tech's at work usually use 3M 8001 which is that yellow glue for paper water pump gaskets, or for problematic leaky valve cover gaskets. They come to the counter & ask for a tube of "gorilla snot". Guaranteed to never leak. GARY

never used the stuff before as a gasket, so i had to look it up. "A strong, flexible, rubbery adhesive that can withstand vibration and extreme temperature variations. It can be used to bond automotive weatherstripping and is a great adhesive for holding paper, cork, or rubber gaskets in place during installation."

now why not use water pump gasket or the right stuff to hold a gasket in place. if your saying they use it as a gasket "guaranteed never to leak" then they just made a nice little mess for the next guy who has to work on it and try to separate the surfaces in one peice

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Any recommendations for which parts to buy? I don't need anything special for the radiator. My Imp is currently my daily driver, so I need reliability above all else. Same for the water pump and power steering pump.

Rock Auto has AC Delco parts for everything, but I don't think I need them. I don't want to go cheap though, either. I just don't know which brands for those parts are the good ones and which are cheap.

Vista Pro? Cardone? Any other brand?

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

why the hell do people want to replace parts that they dont know if they are bad? you just said the car hasnt overheated, so those parts are still good. and your power steering might be low or might try some lucas power steering fluid just to try a cheap fix. and flush both systems see if that helps

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:

never used the stuff before as a gasket, so i had to look it up. "A strong, flexible, rubbery adhesive that can withstand vibration and extreme temperature variations. It can be used to bond automotive weatherstripping and is a great adhesive for holding paper, cork, or rubber gaskets in place during installation."

now why not use water pump gasket or the right stuff to hold a gasket in place. if your saying they use it as a gasket "guaranteed never to leak" then they just made a nice little mess for the next guy who has to work on it and try to separate the surfaces in one peice
The tech's come to the parts counter for a water pump, & coolant. They take the pump back to their bench, & glue [3M 8001] the paper gasket to the pump. They then remove the old pump, & apply glue to the new gasket to mate with the engine. By the time the car is back together, the stuff is dry, & leak proof. Tech's don't care about the next guy. Only that they don't want to see that car again to do a recheck to fix the leak, & not be paid for labor the 2nd time around. The other guys who work at dealers. Your guys use 8001 also? GARY

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
if your saying they use it as a gasket "guaranteed never to leak" then they just made a nice little mess for the next guy who has to work on it and try to separate the surfaces in one peice

Rubber mallet. Residue can be taken off the engine side quickly with a fine sandpaper disc, a scotchbrite pad, or a razor blade. Valve covers would be a little more tricky due to the channel, but a scotchbrite pad and a little brake cleaner would still do the trick (if it didn't come off all in one piece). Not any worse than having and old disintegrated gasket on there anyway.

Deezul_AwT wrote:
Any recommendations for which parts to buy? I don't need anything special for the radiator. My Imp is currently my daily driver, so I need reliability above all else. Same for the water pump and power steering pump.

Rock Auto has AC Delco parts for everything, but I don't think I need them. I don't want to go cheap though, either. I just don't know which brands for those parts are the good ones and which are cheap.

Vista Pro? Cardone? Any other brand?

I bought an oversize radiator (thicker core) for my Impala for roughly the same price. I believe it was for a 96 Monte Carlo. I believe the only fitting I will end up having to do is to on the cooling fan shroud to get it to mount up with the radiator since there is more material on the radiator. I haven't installed it yet so I am not sure. I think it is has a 1 5/8" rather than a 1" or 1 1/4" core.

I think it was a Spectra. It's been a while since I bought it. Google part numbers; I think I picked it up for about $130. It's still sitting in a box in the garage.

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Might have figured out the leak by the water pump that the shop reported. That's what was the reason to replace it. I took the engine cowling off to try to get a better look at the power steering reservoir. I took the car for a drive, and when I returned home to look, the upper coolant elbow below the super charger was shooting out steam. That's why there's a puddle of water under the car, and probably why it looks like the water pump was leaking. It's probably also why the shop thought the supercharger was leaking. That steam was hitting the charger and then collecting on anything it could.

Now a good flush and new coolant elbows might have knocked my problems down to a bad power steering pump.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

now your thinking, lol. but rubber mallet, on our water pumps? havnt had the pleasure of working on outs but i did on a Pontiac and if i remember right there's a coolant elbow right off the water pump. so a rubber mallet if you could get to it would break this off, would it not?

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Flush completed. I collected 5 gallons of liquid. Two plain water flushes, then ran it with cleaner, then another plain water run. Changed the bad pulley and thermostat. Disconnected the power steering pump, but upset that the Haynes manual doesn't tell you to remove the tensioner to make it easier to get out. Glad there is this forum!

UPDATE:
I need a new shop for sure. Got the tensioner out, and took a good look at the P/S pump. It rotates fine, no noises. So I checked the fluid level. Didn't even register on the dipstick! I put a screw driver in the reservoir just to make sure there was something in there. Less than half an inch from the button of the reservoir.

I have a new P/S pump being delivered to the parts store tomorrow. But I may just go and tell them I don't need it. I got some Lucas fluid and conditioner in case I bought a new one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: