NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2003 3.4L with a P0341 (cam position sensor)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2003 3.4L with a P0341 (cam position sensor)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelbeck

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:  2003 3.4L with a P0341 (cam position sensor) Reply with quote

Hey all, newbie here.

My wife has a 2003 with the 3.4L. We recently had the LIM replaced, after that was done found that the radiator had sprung a leak so replaced that and a bunch of hoses too. We got the car back Thursday night, today (Saturday) she takes it out to run some errands and comes right back, the check engine light is on. I checked the code with my trusty code reader and it comes back as P0341, the cam position sensor.

So... before I go swapping more parts does this code mean that the sensor is actually bad or could it be something else? It looks like I need to move the power steering pump out of the way to get to it, before I start digging in I want to make sure I'm not gonna wind up chasing this problem around and around...

Thanks!

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Buick Regal
2004 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It sounds like you would have to replace the sensor.

WANNA INTERNET FIGHT! ill meet you at 6pm outside the 2000-2005 general impala discuusion Very Happy

98 Buick Regal GS: New DD
04 Escalade ESV: Daily driver (wife's DD)
mikelbeck

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I replaced the sensor today, had to drain & remove the power steering pump, move the radiator overflow out of the way. It looked like a 10 minute job and turned into a 3 hour job.

Anyway... Changed the sensor, took the car for a ride around to get it up to temperature then parked it in the driveway. Shut it off, started it back up and the check engine light was on. Checked the code and it's P0341 again.

So now what else could be causing this?

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You could make sure your all of your wiring harnesses are far enough away from the ignition coils. Sometimes they can cause interference.

Also,... there are two crank sensor on the 3.4L engine. The one you replaced, and the other one I believe is on the front engine cover.

Other than that, it may be an internal problem like the reluctor wheel or a faulty pcm. Although that may be unlikely at this point.

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
You could make sure your all of your wiring harnesses are far enough away from the ignition coils. Sometimes they can cause interference.

I'll check that.

ZSPOT wrote:
Also,... there are two crank sensor on the 3.4L engine. The one you replaced, and the other one I believe is on the front engine cover.

Other than that, it may be an internal problem like the reluctor wheel or a faulty pcm. Although that may be unlikely at this point.

I replaced the cam sensor, not the crank sensor.

I was looking through my Chilton's book today reading up on the cam sensor and I noticed that the cam sensor connector had 3 wires, I'm pretty sure the one on this car only has 2. So maybe one broke? Would the car still run if it was missing one of the wires on this sensor? I just had the LIM replaced so the mechanic was in that area, I'm wondering if maybe he hit the connector or the wire broke off some other way. I tried to look in there with a light earlier but it's hard to tell as the connector is sideways looking at it from the front. I'm gonna have to take it apart again to be sure I guess.

It doesn't throw the code immediately, it will run for a while and it seems like once it gets up to temperature it will throw the code. Does that make any sort of sense or point to anything I should check?

Nice wheels on the pic in your sig BTW!

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you haven't figured it out yet....

You're fine on the cam sensor being a two prong. The connector "is" a three way, but only because it's used on multiple cars. Some which have a three prong cam sensor.

When you had the cam sensor out, did you happen to look down and see if there was any possible debris down on the reluctor wheel? When your intake was off, some crap may have gotten in there and that can cause an issue with the sensor reading properly.

Also, what brand of cam sensor did you use?

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
If you haven't figured it out yet....

You're fine on the cam sensor being a two prong. The connector "is" a three way, but only because it's used on multiple cars. Some which have a three prong cam sensor.

Now you've got me confused. My book (Haynes, not Chilton like I said earlier) shows 3 wires in all of the diagrams and shows what each is for. When you said "some which have a three prong cam sensor" do you mean that some were wired with 2 and some with 3, even the same year & model? If that's the case maybe I got the wrong sensor? BTW I think that my connector was missing the middle wire, but I won't know for sure until I take it apart again.

ZSPOT wrote:
When you had the cam sensor out, did you happen to look down and see if there was any possible debris down on the reluctor wheel? When your intake was off, some crap may have gotten in there and that can cause an issue with the sensor reading properly.

Also, what brand of cam sensor did you use?

I did not look down there to see if there was anything there, but I'm going to take it apart again and will have a look. The sensor I got is a Duralast from Auto Zone.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ha,.. sorry. I misread your post,.. again. I thought you wrote the cam sensor itself was only a two prong. Sometimes, GM will use a multi terminal connector that may only need one or two prongs connected to work. Like a radio connector for instance. Only half are used sometimes. I would double check for you, but I don't have a cam sensor, or the connector in stock ATM.

Well, the Auto Zone sensor may be part of your problem also. We replace A LOT of faulty sensors that customers "just put in" themselves. It's kind of a pain, but do you have a test light you could test the sensor?

Of course I recommend AC Delco if you need another new one. Very Happy

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Ha,.. sorry. I misread your post,.. again. I thought you wrote the cam sensor itself was only a two prong. Sometimes, GM will use a multi terminal connector that may only need one or two prongs connected to work. Like a radio connector for instance. Only half are used sometimes. I would double check for you, but I don't have a cam sensor, or the connector in stock ATM.

Ah, got it. I know for sure that the cam sensor had 3 terminals on it, and the connector did two but I only remember seeing two wires actually connected to it. I didn't think anything of it at the time...

Quote:
Well, the Auto Zone sensor may be part of your problem also. We replace A LOT of faulty sensors that customers "just put in" themselves. It's kind of a pain, but do you have a test light you could test the sensor?

Of course I recommend AC Delco if you need another new one. Very Happy

I don't have a test light but I do have a multimeter. Can I test it with that?

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So.... think maybe this could be the problem?

In the first pic I pulled the wires apart to show how damaged they are, originally they were all touching.

I replaced it today with a brand new AC Delco connector and it hasn't thrown a code since.

The guy who did the LIM a couple of weeks ago is a GM tech, I'm surprised he didn't see this and say something to me about it.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.04

2009 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1977 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Oh yes ! Wiring Reply with quote

Looks like that harness has been a little warm.

PT
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

YUK. That's seen better days.

Agreed though. Looks like it got hot...

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1997 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
YUK. That's seen better days.

Agreed though. Looks like it got hot...

Yep.

I've been driving the car since I replaced the connector on Saturday and haven't had any issues at all, so that was the problem. It looks like the old one was laying right up against the intake, I moved the new one bit so it's a little further away. Maybe that's all it was.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That didn't look too bad. Nothing that a little electrical tape wouldn't fix. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
That didn't look too bad. Nothing that a little electrical tape wouldn't fix. Laughing

Ok haloevo..., that's enough of that. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: