NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - security light blinking!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

security light blinking!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.52

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:  security light blinking! Reply with quote

Tried to search for the passlock/security relearn process no luck. Can someone help me out quick on how to do it? Car accesories turn on security light blinks...wont crank.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That is a VATs passlock issue, do you have another key? Try that first, but the problem is that the passlock sensor isn't recognizing the key. The key you are using could be worn out, but if that doesn't work the passlock sensor needs to be replaced. It is like 73 bucks from rockauto, and after it is installed you will have to do the relearn procedure that you described above.
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I tried the other key already both kinda worn....the kicker is i just drove the car fine. i went inside came out 15 minutes later and bam wont crank....that means the passlock sensor just bam stopped working? thats crazy.....could i try the security relearn first? do you know how to do it if it doesnt work I could find a sensor.....where is the sensor located what does it look like?

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Leave the key in the on position w/o removing until the security light stays on steadily (10 minutes)
Turn the key to off and wait a few seconds before attempting to start it again.

You can go to a competent locksmith and have them cut a new key for you (rather than making a copy) or go to the parts department at a dealer with your vehicle registration and they will cut new keys for you as well. We just had a thread on here a few days ago about having new keys cut to alleviate passlock issues. There is no chip in our keys (at least for 2000-2005).

If you still have issues after having new keys cut, you can take the lock cylinder out of the dash, clean it really well with electrical parts cleaner and relube it with graphite and see if the issue goes away. It takes some time but it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new lock cylinder.

habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Leave the key in the on position w/o removing until the security light stays on steadily (10 minutes)
Turn the key to off and wait a few seconds before attempting to start it again.

You can go to a competent locksmith and have them cut a new key for you (rather than making a copy) or go to the parts department at a dealer with your vehicle registration and they will cut new keys for you as well. We just had a thread on here a few days ago about having new keys cut to alleviate passlock issues. There is no chip in our keys (at least for 2000-2005).

If you still have issues after having new keys cut, you can take the lock cylinder out of the dash, clean it really well with electrical parts cleaner and relube it with graphite and see if the issue goes away. It takes some time but it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new lock cylinder.

Awesome thank you... I will try the new key thing to see what happens. i tried the 10 minute deal a couple times never worked.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

habermehl wrote:
i tried the 10 minute deal a couple times never worked.

Then your keys and/or cylinder are probably really screwed up. Wink

habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
habermehl wrote:

got new key made to vin…opens doors and turns everything on but no start. Did relearn twice no go. Has anyone had this problem on here and fixed it. What was it and what did it cost ya?

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had to do the relearn 2-4 times a day it gkt so bad,I got a tune from overkill and told bim to shut that off and never had a issue since been like 3 years, and you get all the other benefits

If you want to try relearm put your old key in, turn it to the on position and leave it for 10 minutes, the security light other goes solid or shuts off o can't remember, but when it does 1 of the 2 tirn the key to the off position the try starting it.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

habermehl wrote:
Frank wrote:
habermehl wrote:

got new key made to vin…opens doors and turns everything on but no start. Did relearn twice no go. Has anyone had this problem on here and fixed it. What was it and what did it cost ya?

That's not the relearn, that's just waiting for the passlock timer to run out. The relearn process is what I said above, but wait for 11 minutes rather than ten (to be safe) and do it 3 times in a row.

Your keys must have been really screwed up since I have only had to do the full relearn twice and I have owned my car for ten years...once when I replaced the BCM and the other time was when I replaced the engine in my car and had a completely different PCM installed.

habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
habermehl wrote:
Frank wrote:
habermehl wrote:

That's not the relearn, that's just waiting for the passlock timer to run out. The relearn process is what I said above, but wait for 11 minutes rather than ten (to be safe) and do it 3 times in a row.

Your keys must have been really screwed up since I have only had to do the full relearn twice and I have owned my car for ten years...once when I replaced the BCM and the other time was when I replaced the engine in my car and had a completely different PCM installed.

Wait 3 times in a row? Ive only tried a couple times in a row.....ill try that got a hold of will so that might be cheaper the new ignition and passlock sensor at dealer....

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

some stuff that may help
http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/pt%2077-0011.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njAVpk47_c

and yes a tune should be the cheaper then buying all the stuff, + the other benefits

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Update for anyone else that might have this issue in the future. The place i brought it to used to be a GM dealer was cut when they went down....they reflashed the Bcm and it started right up. They think it might be the BCM failing.... but they asked to keep it for a couple days at no cost to see if it happens again. the flash was only $80....

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject:  Re: security light blinking! Reply with quote

habermehl wrote:
Tried to search for the passlock/security relearn process no luck. Can someone help me out quick on how to do it? Car accesories turn on security light blinks...wont crank.
if you start the car a few times in a short period the system locks you out.. i had this happen to me once has not happen since though
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would be curious to see the actual wording on the invoice since the BCM cannot be reflashed. They can flash the PCM but not the BCM. They can also do a ten minute learn procedure rather than a 30 minute relearn with the Tech 2 hooked up to a techline terminal.

habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
I would be curious to see the actual wording on the invoice since the BCM cannot be reflashed. They can flash the PCM but not the BCM. They can also do a ten minute learn procedure rather than a 30 minute relearn with the Tech 2 hooked up to a techline terminal.

Your wish is my command:

"Comp: Check no start - security light on/flashing

Computer diagnostic scan test for multiple driveability concerns, document codes & related specs & readings.

Cause: Checked over system - found possible issue with BCM but vehicle starting fine at this time // re-tested several times and ok.

Corr: Re-flashed modules and pinned connections - all good at this time // may need BCM if problem persist.

$90.34"

Ya starts and drives without security light at all now….even with me using automatic start.

Thanks for the suggestions and help from all as usual.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Tow Truck?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: