NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Do I need an alternator now or later? (2004/3.4)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Do I need an alternator now or later? (2004/3.4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:  Do I need an alternator now or later? (2004/3.4) Reply with quote

My alternator is HOT, and not in a good way DOH! Really though...

It hasnt been started in about 2 months-winter storage & upgrades. I ran it last week & took a test drive around the block, checked it out & the alternator was hot, very hot. I thought maybe it was just working hard charging since its been so long, but it was seriously friggin hot. Its been parked for almost 4 months now for winter, before this I started it & warmed it up maybe every other week. Battery was new just before I parked it, I forget the specs but its got more than enough oomph for the car (825 CCA). There was nothing wrong with the old battery, I just stole the Impala's battery for another project. I replaced the Impalas battery with something "more than enough."

Today I warmed it up & tested stuff. Heres the results, tested off the alternator hot wire-

14.2V, (cold) Idle, all accessories on
14.8V (cold) holding at 1,000 rpm
14.45V idle, waming, all accessories off
14.55V same as above, 1000rpm

Temps using cheap scanner-
170* alternator case, cold engine
192* copper windings in back of alternator case-thru vent holes
140* for reference, valve cover, engine at operating temp (185ish by the temp gauge)

The voltage doesnt seem out of whack BUT the physical temp of the alternator seems insane. Put your hand on it & youll get a burn in 2 seconds flat. For reference, I took my big ugly Dodge Ram out snow bashing & the alternator was just "cozy warm" after a good beating.

Should I just toss in a new alternator & be happy or is this normal? I didnt really notice any charging problems months ago when I parked it. Just dont want to blow $150 if its not needed, but rather do it now than being left somewhere with a dealt alt! Thanks for any help!
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If the car hasn't been started in a few months the battery is low. So the alternator has to work harder to charge it up. Those temps aren't out of the normal operating temp of the engine. I would be inclined to do nothing.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The alternator on my 05 3.4 is always super hot after I drive it. I've never checked the surface temp on it. I do have a dimming issue with my car lights. I don't know if this is related though.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
The alternator on my 05 3.4 is always super hot after I drive it. I've never checked the surface temp on it. I do have a dimming issue with my car lights. I don't know if this is related though.

Clean the ground directly behind the battery under the fuse boxes.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:

Clean the ground directly behind the battery under the fuse boxes.

Okay. I'll try this.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks all. I read somewhere here about the ground under the fuses being trouble, will check that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: