NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Another p420 code
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Another p420 code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:  Another p420 code Reply with quote

So I was checking the rear o2 sensor by inducing a lean condition, meaning I disconnected one of the vacuum hoses on the throttle body and...the readout on my scanner went to 0V. So I think that means that the rear o2 sensor is toast. Can someone confirm operation voltages for o2 sensors are from 0.1V to 0.9V.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.38

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:  Re: Another p420 code Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
So I was checking the rear o2 sensor by inducing a lean condition, meaning I disconnected one of the vacuum hoses on the throttle body and...the readout on my scanner went to 0V. So I think that means that the rear o2 sensor is toast. Can someone confirm operation voltages for o2 sensors are from 0.1V to 0.9V.

how many miles on the sensors

if you think it still has the original ones i'd replace both..........

you will need wrench with a pivoting head for the rear sensor (might have to go on a lift though..)
since it was designed in such a way *you have to* take it to a shop (should cost no more then $45 to get it installed)

fuel economy jumped from 17mpg back to 35mpg (highway) (and 27.5mpg combined.)for me (still has the p0420 code though).

summer fuel rocks with a whopping 38-40MPG Very Happy

this is what I was getting before both sensors failed at the same time anyways
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.66

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:  Re: Another p420 code Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
since it was designed in such a way *you have to* take it to a shop (should cost no more then $45 to get it installed)

was designed in such a way so the O2 sensor stays dry from the moisture in the exhaust and stays out of harms way.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.14

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was playing with my new Torque app Cool and think I ran across this. I'd almost swear your right on with the .1-.9V from what I saw. I'm sneaking the car into work tomorrow, will post what I get here if its any help.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject:  Re: Another p420 code Reply with quote

i have 115k miles original sensors. only replace something if you know its bad. even "new" stuff from the parts stores can sometimes have a 1 moth life on a car. if its not broke why spend the money on it?

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.14

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

OK, heres what I got for reference. Car warmed up, numbers taken during a 20 mile drive. Upstream O2 was constantly adjusting between .2-.8V. The downstream was a very solid .6V.
Hope thats some help!
98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Took 5 minutes to replace the sensor. No change, looks like the gm replacement cat is only good for 80k miles. Thanks for the reference voltage.

I did change both sensors with denso sensors.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.08

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
Took 5 minutes to replace the sensor. No change, looks like the gm replacement cat is only good for 80k miles. Thanks for the reference voltage.

For a reference if you plan on getting a catalytic convertor in the future, I had to get one and it cost about $500 for a Magnaflow universal.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

say what? you replaced both oe sensors and it didnt change anything. when you had no hard evidence of it being bad. but someone who likes to replaces parts because they have millage on them said to. i tell you some people with money makes me think it sure dont buy brains.

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
say what? you replaced both oe sensors and it didnt change anything. when you had no hard evidence of it being bad. but someone who likes to replaces parts because they have millage on them said to. i tell you some people with money makes me think it sure dont buy brains.

The code would come on only at a light and the voltage would drop to 0V. Usually the 02 sensors get lazy after 80k. The 0V kind of made me think that the sensor was messing up. So I took a shot in the dark that after 160K the sensors could be fragged. So I spent 60 bucks, but I kept both sensors. 30 bucks a pop is sure way better than 200 bucks on a cat, but I agree to change a part prematue is silly. On the other hand, I picked up 2 mpg from changing the front sensor, so I figure it will pay for itself quickly since I put about 700 miles per week on the car.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.38

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
98ss wrote:

For a reference if you plan on getting a catalytic convertor in the future, I had to get one and it cost about $500 for a Magnaflow universal.

Wow you get burned on that purchase.
for 500 more you could have gotten a OEM too...

correct aftermarket that meets California standards is only $99..

minus -$120 rebate from selling the "scrap" since no core is required

98ss wrote:
Irish_alley wrote:

The code would come on only at a light and the voltage would drop to 0V. Usually the 02 sensors get lazy after 80k. The 0V kind of made me think that the sensor was messing up. So I took a shot in the dark that after 160K the sensors could be fragged. So I spent 60 bucks, but I kept both sensors. 30 bucks a pop is sure way better than 200 bucks on a cat, but I agree to change a part prematue is silly. On the other hand, I picked up 2 mpg from changing the front sensor, so I figure it will pay for itself quickly since I put about 700 miles per week on the car.

my went from 17City 23 highway (20mpg combined) to 27MPG combined 35-37HWY city 24-25mpg..
city miles sucks since some stop lights are 2 to 5 min HUGE killer of MPG if you get stuck in to what I call the "RED light Loop"

these sensors do have significant effect to gas mileage

but both my sensors were dead..
tedy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's funny. I just replaced both o2 sensors and the coolant temp sensor on my 05 L's and the p0420 still pops up. I can't even get the car inspected and its really frustrating . Has anyone thought about putting a spacer on the rear o2 sensor? The car still has great gas mileage.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.78

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

tedy wrote:
That's funny. I just replaced both o2 sensors and the coolant temp sensor on my 05 L's and the p0420 still pops up.

Did you use an AC Delco (or possibly Denso) O2 sensor? If not, that's your problem. These cars have issues with aftermarket oxygen sensors.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
tedy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Both sensors are denso. I don't mess with the Bosch parts any more waste of money.

98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So I have a bit of an update. I found that my rear manifold had a 3 inch crack in it. The crack was on cylinder #2 on the bottom, so the only way to see it was to take it off. I bought a dorman from rockauto and I put the old cat back on to see if it would clear it up. Light is back on. I will change over to the new cat when I get new gaskets. I still average 25-26 mpg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: