NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Coolant smell
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Coolant smell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:  Coolant smell Reply with quote

Last few days I've been smelling what I think is coolant in the car. The overflow bottle is at the normal level, the hoses are all new, there is no fluid under the car, & all the carpets are dry. Is the heater core leaking? There is no smell under the hood when the car is running. I have never used the heater in 2 years, as you don't need it in Florida, so I can just bypass it if that's the problem? Any Ideas? GARY

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject:  Re: Coolant smell Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
I have never used the heater in 2 years, as you don't need it in Florida, so I can just bypass it if that's the problem? Any Ideas? GARY

Your just bragging now arent ya Wink

I have an idea FWTW. Couldn't you take out the cabin air filter & be able to see if theres any trace of coolant in there? Or if you want to lay upside down on your head, take out the blower motor & take a peek? Doesnt take much coolant to make a big smell. Do you have the "slime/grease" on the windshield?

I've had luck doing a leakdown test using a pressure gauge on the cooling system with other cars. You can actually make one with an old radiator cap & a Mityvac - plenty of youtube videos showing this. Just dont go past the cap rating.

Havent done an Impala heater core yet so I'm no help there. Personally, I dont see why you couldnt bypass the core for now but its still going to need one sooner or later.

Just some ideas, hope that helps!
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would bypass it for awhile, flush out the heater core in place, and see if the smell goes away.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

lostwrench wrote:
I would bypass it for awhile, flush out the heater core in place, and see if the smell goes away.
If it stops raining, I plan to do this tomorrow. Down here a heater isn't really necessary. I can't remember the last time I needed heat in the car. GARY

Last edited by 9C3 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:  Re: Coolant smell Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Last few days I've been smelling what I think is coolant in the car. The overflow bottle is at the normal level, the hoses are all new, there is no fluid under the car, & all the carpets are dry. Is the heater core leaking? There is no smell under the hood when the car is running. I have never used the heater in 2 years, as you don't need it in Florida, so I can just bypass it if that's the problem? Any Ideas? GARY
intake manifold
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The intake was replaced barely a year ago with the coolant hose fittings & are all factory GM parts. There is no coolant smell under the hood with the engine running. Just in the car. GARY

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well my GF was too busy to take me to the parts store, so I took the car. The carpet was dry before I left, but on the road I heard a gurgling noise, & coolant spilled on the pass side carpet. I dried it with a towel, & bypassed the heater core. I put my hand under the carpet, & the floor was dry. [thick padding] Should I drench the carpet with water, or just let the carpet dry to get rid if the smell. In my whole 30 year GM parts career, I only ever sold 1 GM heater core, & it was for a Buick Skyhawk. [J body] Around here when a heater core goes, we just bypass it, but the owner of the Skyhawk had to drive back to Canada, & it was wintertime. 10 years ago we had a contract with the city, & were replacing heater cores on Crown Vic cop cars on 2 year old cars. Then the replacement cores wouldn't even last a year. So what do I do with my carpet? GARY

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Shop vac first to get as much coolant out as you can. Spray it down with water but do not "soak" it-dont want to cause mold, then shop vac again. Then break out the 409 carpet cleaner & go crazy. I have used Tide laundry detergent,water & a scrub brush before to get out bad stains. You just want to make sure you dont over-soak it & get the padding wet.

Mold is the big thing you want to stay away from, especially in your area. That smell wont go away!
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

QuickNick wrote:
Shop vac first to get as much coolant out as you can. Spray it down with water but do not "soak" it-dont want to cause mold, then shop vac again. Then break out the 409 carpet cleaner & go crazy. I have used Tide laundry detergent,water & a scrub brush before to get out bad stains. You just want to make sure you dont over-soak it & get the padding wet.

Mold is the big thing you want to stay away from, especially in your area. That smell wont go away!
That's what I did. Neighbor had a shop vac, sucked out all the coolant I could, then sprayed about 8 oz of water & vac'd it up. Left the door open for sun to shine on carpet. Carpet is clean, & the coolant smell is gone. I just wish I got the parts yesterday, before the leak got serious. 1 more day of sun on the carpet & all will be perfect. Thanks for the help. GARY

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2 days of Florida sun baking the carpets with the doors open, & all is perfect. No smell, & the carpet looks better than ever. Thanks for the help. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: