NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Diagnose my dimming problem
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Diagnose my dimming problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:  Diagnose my dimming problem Reply with quote

Ok so this winter my car has had some issues with the battery/alternator (at least I think it has to be one of them). The first time I had the issue pop up was driving the car to work. I almost had the car die on me in mid-drive coming to a stop sign. Had multiple instrument failures (ABS, traction control), my dash lit up like a christmas tree but dimmed at the same time. Like I had lost half of my controls. The issues seem to come up when I turn on my rear window defroster first. That same day when I got to work I took the car over to a garage in the same plaza I work in to have the battery and alternator checked. They said the battery was the issue, so now I have a brand new interstate battery in the car. However the issues haven't completely stopped. Although I haven't had the car almost die now, I still have my dash dim when I have the rear window defroster on. Also, if I have the rear window defroster on, and also turn my wipers on, they wipe REAL slow. I'm getting tired of dealing with this, but at the same time I don't want to just keep throwing $ at it if I'm not sure what the issue is. I mean to me it sounds alternator related, but the garage said it was ok. I don't know anymore...
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check the other ends of the battery cables. They should be clean and make good contact.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like there is a ground that needs to be cleaned up
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So the grounds that you want to look at are the body ground and engine ground. The body ground is right behind the battery, that's probably the one that is giving you the issue. Pull it off and clean it up. Then follow the other negative cable coming off of the battery and follow that one to where it attaches on the motor. Same thing. Pull it off clean off the corrosion and see if that helps.
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
So the grounds that you want to look at are the body ground and engine ground. The body ground is right behind the battery, that's probably the one that is giving you the issue. Pull it off and clean it up. Then follow the other negative cable coming off of the battery and follow that one to where it attaches on the motor. Same thing. Pull it off clean off the corrosion and see if that helps.
Cool. Will do. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. I'll let you know if it helps when I take a look at it when the weather decides to cooperate here in western NY again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: