NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Funny things noticed at the junk yard.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Funny things noticed at the junk yard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:  Funny things noticed at the junk yard. Reply with quote

So I was at the local U-Pick for my weekly quest. My 05 3800 Impala plastic engine cover is all grey. But I noticed a 3800 Buick Century has the exact same cover, but the letters "3800" & "series 2" are silver in color. While some people don't like the cover, & discard it, I preferred the silver accent, & paid $5. So why does Chevy & Buick have different covers.
I recently changed my cabin air filter, so I'm familiar with removing the trim at the bottom of the windshield. However, on some Pontiacs, I noticed they have a small trap door on the trim, so removing the trim is not necessary, like on the Impala. Simply open the small door, R&R the filter, & you're done. So why do different divisions of GM do things differently? Wouldn't it be more cost effective if the different divisions worked together saving money by designing things together? GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.6

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

was more of a change in the years than models, I did a write up for ImpalaHQ years ago before I bought my sign equipment and you can see the engine cover in the pics from my 02 Impala LS

Same thing with the cabin filter, they changed the design over the years.

There are many changes within the Impala line from year to year also, things like the shift indicator decal on the console, was there for a couple years and it went away. Map pockets behind seats appeared and disappeared all the time, etc.

Here is the link to the write up....

http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowT.....ngine.html

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I see. The engine cover came from a 99 Buick Century, & I believe the cabin air filter trap door was on a 99 Pontiac. So I guess the deletion of the silver lettering, & trap door in newer models was to cut costs. GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

here are some changes, read through the posts to see whats what

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....ht=changes

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks. I have noticed the many times I go to the U-Pick, that only 2000-2003 cars have factory installed STB's. I haven't seen a single one on a 04-05 car. GARY

dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I noticed that recently too, when my buddy picked up a 03 base. When I was looking it over, I noticed the STB. I have an 04 SS without one. Found that kinda weird, was wondering if it is a beneficial add on or no because the SS has a better suspension?
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My 05 has the cop car suspension which I consider the most rugged. After I added front, & rear bars, I noticed a big improvement. GARY

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject:  Re: Funny things noticed at the junk yard. Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
So I was at the local U-Pick for my weekly quest. My 05 3800 Impala plastic engine cover is all grey. But I noticed a 3800 Buick Century has the exact same cover, but the letters "3800" & "series 2" are silver in color. While some people don't like the cover, & discard it, I preferred the silver accent, & paid $5.
I painted my black....
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
My 05 has the cop car suspension which I consider the most rugged. After I added front, & rear bars, I noticed a big improvement. GARY

Most SS models have the "cop car" suspension. Look for FE4 on the build sticker in the trunk.

Adding the STB braces does make an improvement, rear more than front. You can either get the GM ones and drill holes to mount, buy brackets for them to mount or buy aftermarket STBs

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The local U-Pick only charges $9 for the bar with all the mounting hardware. GARY

patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:  Re: Funny things noticed at the junk yard. Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
9C3 wrote:
So I was at the local U-Pick for my weekly quest. My 05 3800 Impala plastic engine cover is all grey. But I noticed a 3800 Buick Century has the exact same cover, but the letters "3800" & "series 2" are silver in color. While some people don't like the cover, & discard it, I preferred the silver accent, & paid $5.
I painted my black....

A lil' dusty right now,but here's mine;

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:

Most SS models have the "cop car" suspension. Look for FE4 on the build sticker in the trunk.
My decal says 7B3. Do you know the difference between FE4, & 7B3? And my decal is on the door, not trunk. Another difference in years I guess. GARY

patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Pitch Black SS wrote:

My decal says 7B3. Do you know the difference between FE4, & 7B3? And my decal is on the door, not trunk. Another difference in years I guess. GARY

Did find this,probably not exactly what you're looking for but...anyway;

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....p;p=494281

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If I remember form earlier discussions, FE4 & 7B3 share all the same parts (sways, arms, etc), but the 7B3 runs a different spring. But I could be wrong

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
If I remember form earlier discussions, FE4 & 7B3 share all the same parts (sways, arms, etc), but the 7B3 runs a different spring. But I could be wrong
I think you are right, as my car sits about 1 1/2" higher than non 9C cars. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: