NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - message "engine hot a/c off"
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

message "engine hot a/c off"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.17

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject:  message "engine hot a/c off" Reply with quote

While going to doctor appt. today, I got message in message center saying "engine hot A/C off" and temp guage dropped all the way to "C". I stopped and checked nothing hot, hoses fine, no leaks, coolant level good, heater blowing hot (glad because in teens today) and car seemed to run fine. I stopped at my mechanic on the way and he thinks either thermostat or head gasket. So my car is in shop being checked. Anyone else experience this. message says engine hot temp guage went down to C is was like once the message came on the temp guage shut down. Just when i started getting the kinks out of this car. Rolling Eyes

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When was the last time you had the coolant freeze point checked ?
The radiator can freeze up and you'll still have heat as the water pump could still circulate the coolant in the block through the heater core and the core isn't enough to keep the car from overheating.
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

05imp wrote:
When was the last time you had the coolant freeze point checked ?
The radiator can freeze up and you'll still have heat as the water pump could still circulate the coolant in the block through the heater core and the core isn't enough to keep the car from overheating.

Good point but I'm going electrical with a faulty temperature gauge sending unit / engine coolant temperature sensor.
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Coolant is good to -20F and doesn't appear to be too dirty but it seems right now everything is pointing to thermostat is bad so, since I need new thermostat and i don't know when the previous owner did it i will have the coolant flushed and filled with new. Very Happy And mechanic says just fixing the problem won't get rid of message it needs scanned out. But I knew that. And he said he will check for any other codes at same time. Very Happy

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

sounds like a temp sensor to me. If the sensor fails, the gauge will not work correctly and the computer will turn off the AC and trip the "Engine Hot" message as a precaution. It doesnt know the real temp, so it prepares for the worst case scenario as if the engine is overheating.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Pitch, thermostat was replaced and now 2 weeks later it came on again. Took it to mechanic he scanned and said everything seems fine. So he scanned code out and said see if it does it again. I mentioned sensor and he said it is strong possibly but he said see how this goes by clearing it the second time. But i have a feeling it will come back. But i have heat and car runs perfect while light is on. But little scary to see message saying "Engine Hot"

But i will say this since he changed thermostat and flushed cooling system. And cleared all codes (some codes were old) But the car ran better than it ever ran since i had it. Very Happy Shocked

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Personally, Id find a new mechanic. If he cant be bothered to diagnose a problem other than plugging in the scanner, hes not good enough for me. There is obviously an issue and he is just too lazy to properly diagnose the issue.

Not everything throws a code.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yep, Pitch you are right. message is back and he cleared code and said bring it back next week right because now he has some big jobs to get done first. I think he's doing it the easy way because my Dad was with me and didn't want to have Dad sitting around waiting room. My Dad's friend said his mechanic (only a mile from house, i could drop off and walk home )will diagnose it, and his mechanic actually said he has came across this same problem.. Maybe I'll give him a chance or just swap sensor myself. I just hate throwing parts at problem.

At least he isn't charging me to clear code. Dealership wants $80 a pop.

MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Finally fixed, took it to my other mechanic and they took the time and check the sensor and it turned out sensor was not reading right at all. Exactly what my first thought i had when it first came on and no overheating condition was evident. Replaced sensor and they replaced the corroded terminals on the plug. and so far everything fine. Very Happy I should have took it to this mechanic first. Could of saved a lot of hassle. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: