NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Got bored and.....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Got bored and.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject:  Got bored and..... Reply with quote

The Impala was put away for the winter & I just cant leave anything alone sooo...

New ceramic pads
Rotors
Calipers
Speed bleeders
Braided brake hoses
Tie rods
New lower control arms
Sway bar links
Painted calipers "hot rod red" for fun Laughing

I put the stuts on a few miles ago (Monroe Quick Struts-I know!) and the hubs/CV joints were replaced <6000 miles ago. Probably swap out the sway bar bushings since I'm in there, just havent done it yet. I have the same parts for the rear, still need to pick up a larger sway bar but have everything else.

Strut tower braces are on the "to do" list also. She isnt fast with the 3.4 but I want to make it handle/stop like it is fast! Am I missing anything else? I kept the stock size front sway bar since I didnt think it would make that much of a difference. The rear bar, thats going in the trash. Does anyone have a link to the rear bar & strut braces? I tried to place an order with wbodystore a couple weeks ago but it didnt go through so I'm leery of buying from them. GM Parts Direct? I havent even looked at wheel/tire combos yet but she will get them.

Thanks for any help!!
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Where did you get the Brake Hoses from, if you don't mind me asking?

Dave-C
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.04

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nice job there, i believe your right , GM Parts Direct , probably few other places cant think @ the moment. someone else will know lol.
did put on top strut brace also? what else ya lined up for it.

i got alot of work to do when the weather breaks. i also need to do strut/shocks on mine. (on the ALOT to do list lol).

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks, it gets boring in the winter time so I always go crazy on whatever is sitting in the garage!

I got the lines from Amazon, $85 with free Prime shipping. They are Edelbrock / Russell 692220 if your looking for the part number.
http://www.amazon.com/Edelbroc.....ell+692220

Wbody store has them in longer lengths if your doing the larger brake upgrade-
http://www.wbodystore.com/brak.....lines.html

Summit/Jegs both have them for $85ish also. You could also make them with Summit/Jegs parts but all the parts together were more $$ than the assembled kit, sooo. I have used the Edelbrock/Russell kits before and have zero complaints, plus it takes all the "sponge" out of the pedal.

I'm doing the junkyard search tomorrow to see if I get lucky finding a strut brace, but I'll probably just come home & order it from GM Parts Direct or WBody store (need a rear sway bar anyways).

The Monroe Quick Struts are ok if your in a pinch & you need them. I used Advance Auto discount codes & got all 4 cheap. At the time the car "just needed struts" so they worked. No problems with them, but I've only driven on them a few months. It seriously takes 10 minutes per unit to change (5 bolts per strut) so its a fast/easy/cheap swap. They are pretty much a cheap replacement part from what everyone says. No long term test here so I cant say.

I need to fiinsh up the rear (brakes/swaybar/STB) then I get to look for some wheels/tires-finally!
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Scored a new looking strut brace for $15 at the junkyard Cool Actually found 3 of them, all GM style. Probably should go grab another fro the rear.....
Dave-C
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.04

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nice, good price ...
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Rear trailing arms too.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I did swap out the rear trailing arms for the Doorman ones (square tubing vs stamped stockers) and that was worth every penny.

Yanked off all the rear brakes & found the parking brake was dragging, pretty bad on the drivers side. Had to adjust them out to get both rotors off Shocked The parking brake pads are shot but I'm not replacing them, cant really see a reason to. Always thought this car should get better gas mileage(about 22), think I found out why!

I started all of this because the car handled very strange on the highway & the brakes were "mushy." I think that parking brake was the cause-I hope. If I find any more goodies I'll post them up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: