NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Exhaust leak/Cat converter replacement question
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Exhaust leak/Cat converter replacement question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
douellette88

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject:  Exhaust leak/Cat converter replacement question Reply with quote

So i have a 02 impala LS with about 129k. I have owned the car for about 6 months. Ever since I have owned it it has had an exhaust leak. The leak is on the tube that goes from the egr valve to the exhaust manifold. I believe the Cat is bad because when I go up hills I've got no power at all. I'm not sure if that exhaust leak has possibly caused the Cat to go bad or not? Now occasionally the CEL will come on. I scanned it and it came up with P0137 and P0141, both of these refer to the rear o2 sensor. Could it be throwing the code because of the exhaust leak? or because of a bad Cat? Any advice at all would be great! =)
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject:  Re: Exhaust leak/Cat converter replacement question Reply with quote

douellette88 wrote:
So i have a 02 impala LS with about 129k. I have owned the car for about 6 months. Ever since I have owned it it has had an exhaust leak. The leak is on the tube that goes from the egr valve to the exhaust manifold. I believe the Cat is bad because when I go up hills I've got no power at all. I'm not sure if that exhaust leak has possibly caused the Cat to go bad or not? Now occasionally the CEL will come on. I scanned it and it came up with P0137 and P0141, both of these refer to the rear o2 sensor. Could it be throwing the code because of the exhaust leak? or because of a bad Cat? Any advice at all would be great! =)

If the Cat is bad you would get stoner code p0420 this would indicate leak or bad cat

that is why I suspect it's just a leaking pipe somewhere before the cat since there is a lot of air movement under the hood and it stinks like exhaust..

probably the sensor

suggest replacement of both sensors 63$ for both sensors both OEM ACDelco

do not use after market since it may not work correctly

front sensor
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-.....automotive

rear sensor

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-.....automotive
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The p0141 shows that the heater circuit is toast on the rear 02 sensor. However, the egr tube that is leaking should be replaced.
douellette88

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Okay. yeah i'd rather not replace the cat if I dont have to since its so expensive. If I had to replace it I would go with the magnaflow direct replacement piece. But i have seen on here you guys said it might throw a code for putting a high flow cat.

I do have the part for the egr tube, just havn't replace it yet cause you gotta put the car on a lift to get to the lower bolt for it. I was thinking about replacing the sensors and I may just do that now.

What about the issue of having no power up hills? That is really the only time I notice that it acts like that.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would check out rockauto.com and grab denso 02 sensors from there, but the egr tube leaking could be causing the front 02 sensor code. If you need to get under the car, just drive one side of the car up on a curb, wait for it to cool and crawl under.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: