NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - winter and summer fuel "learning" process?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

winter and summer fuel "learning" process?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject:  winter and summer fuel "learning" process? Reply with quote

My area has Winter and summer fuels

is there anyway to speed up the "learning" process?

took about 2 months for the computer to learn about the winter fuel mileage drop to about 15-16mpg city & highway no matter what I did.

it's about 32-mpg 100% highway currently 1/2 tank gets me about 260-275 miles before I was getting 130 miles for the same amount of winter fuel.
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't believe a learning process takes place but most cars experience a decrease in mpg on winter blend.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impalafirst wrote:
I don't believe a learning process takes place but most cars experience a decrease in mpg on winter blend.
sure? mileage drop to 15.9mpg for 2 months straight after it switch to winter blend.

it was taking 15.7 gallons of fuel for a trip that normally used 8 to 8.5 gallons of fuel
prices for gas was only 3.419 to 3.479 at the time

250 miles round trip
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That is a big drop. My 04 impala had a 75 mile per tank loss on winter blend and that was Exxon with 10% ethanol. My 2010 Impala was worst than that. Ethanol gives half the mpg as 100% gasoline so figure a car gets 20 miles to a gallon but on 10% ethanol you get 18 mpg. For a 18 gallon tank that is 36 miles less per tank. What is your preferred brand?
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impalafirst wrote:
That is a big drop. My 04 impala had a 75 mile per tank loss on winter blend and that was Exxon with 10% ethanol. My 2010 Impala was worst than that. Ethanol gives half the mpg as 100% gasoline so figure a car gets 20 miles to a gallon but on 10% ethanol you get 18 mpg. For a 18 gallon tank that is 36 miles less per tank. What is your preferred brand?

Was using mobil gas since it was the closest gas station at the time

currently using USA gas station

AKA: wal-mart gas station

closest gas station to were I currently live.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It could be the station that you are using. The mpg's will decrease in the winter time. For example, I have a friend who owns a Sonoco, I get 100 miles more per tank when I buy gas there vs the circle K station by my house. There could be other factors taking place such as a borderline sensor or something like that, but try a different station. Also, if the tank gets below a quarter, it never hurts to throw a bottle of dry gas in.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It is interesting that I'm reading this. About two weeks ago I noticed my Impala (3.4 V6) started idling rough. I have new plug wires and cat so you'd think it would be running fine... Anyway I've never thought of winter blend fuels could make your car run differently. For the record I have no CEL and I haven't checked fuel mileage in ages.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
It could be the station that you are using. The mpg's will decrease in the winter time. For example, I have a friend who owns a Sonoco, I get 100 miles more per tank when I buy gas there vs the circle K station by my house. There could be other factors taking place such as a borderline sensor or something like that, but try a different station. Also, if the tank gets below a quarter, it never hurts to throw a bottle of dry gas in.
I used the same mobil gas station tell it recovered
Lonney

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I use Fred Meyer gas, over winter here in Fairbanks fuel economy halves - I put it down to the low temperatures = stiff wheel bearings, higher rolling resistance of snow tires + driving on snow/ice covered roads, and having to let the car run for 15-20 mins from cold before driving it (so its not an iceblock to get into).

I have always wondered exactly what effect the cold air going into the engine has, by cold I mean 0 to -40F Smile

Didn't realize they changed the blend for gasoline over winter, I do know they change it somewhat for diesel.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lonney wrote:
I use Fred Meyer gas, over winter here in Fairbanks fuel economy halves - I put it down to the low temperatures = stiff wheel bearings, higher rolling resistance of snow tires + driving on snow/ice covered roads, and having to let the car run for 15-20 mins from cold before driving it (so its not an iceblock to get into).

I have always wondered exactly what effect the cold air going into the engine has, by cold I mean 0 to -40F Smile

Didn't realize they changed the blend for gasoline over winter, I do know they change it somewhat for diesel.
this state has "winter fuel"

Cold air is denser so it provides better combustion of the fuel. but it's more of a placebo effect on the car. any gains are very minimal at best.

It would be better to just use a super charger

also known as a air compressor
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Interestingly in my Malibu's manual it says to be sure to use the proper blend during seasons.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
98ss wrote:

Is it an independent owned station or a corporate owned. Independent can choose what you are getting, basically it can translate into a lower grade of fuel. But think of the other factors like its cold so your engine spends more energy trying to keep itself warm ect. Denser air requires more fuel to keep the ratio correct ect.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:
98ss wrote:

Is it an independent owned station or a corporate owned. Independent can choose what you are getting, basically it can translate into a lower grade of fuel. But think of the other factors like its cold so your engine spends more energy trying to keep itself warm ect. Denser air requires more fuel to keep the ratio correct ect.

I don't know but it might be independent owned

all fuel sold still has to be a minimum rating of 87 octane (85 octane is not sold here at all) last winter I stayed on summer fuel by using 91 octane which is the lest sold type
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Here is some info to consider.

http://articles.mcall.com/2013.....s-stations
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impalafirst wrote:
Here is some info to consider.

http://articles.mcall.com/2013.....s-stations

well in the un-United States of America each state has it's own laws regarding winter and summer blends.

so if I go to Nevada I'll better getting a HIGHER quality 87 octane fuel compared to California winter blend 87octane not to mention it cost significantly less.. 50 to 90 cents less per gallon in Nevada

it is not on the federal level.

current price in NV is 2.79
while I have to pay 3.59 for s**t gas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: