NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - every year my heat breaks.... i'm exhausted
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

every year my heat breaks.... i'm exhausted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saliva2002

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject:  every year my heat breaks.... i'm exhausted Reply with quote

So today, for the 2nd or third year in a row, my heat is taking a s**t. Usually, when it works correctly, the air slowly heats up as the car gets warmer. Now, it stays ICE cold until the temp guage is at full heat. Then that lasts about 2 minutes until the temp guage decides to fall 5 lines, then its ice cold again. That lasts about 3 minutes, then 1 minute of heat as the needle climbs to the top, and back down again.

When this first happened, i replaced the thermostat. Fixed for about a week, nothing. I took to the Chevy stealer and they said there was an antifreeze leak but they couldn't find it, so it had to be the intake gaskets. I called the mechanic that changed the intake gaskets two years earlier and he said they were idiots and to bring to him. He tested as well and found a bad o-ring which he replaced.

I smell anti freeze every now and then, am i leaking again? Am i the only one with this issue. If i didn't have a 2 year old kid to drive with i could deal with the hot and cold hot and cold but they can't.......

Can someone also run me through how to check my antifreeze level CORRECTLY? thanks

05 base model 3.4L
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check the overflow bottle first. Then when the car is cold, open the radiator cap and see if the radiator is full. It should come up most of the way up the neck of the opening. If it doesn't, top it off, bleed it and check the levels again when cold.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The car definitely has an air bubble in it. If you smell coolant than there is an external leak. After you top it up, see if you can see the leak. Because the car has little to no heat, there should be a bunch of coolant missing. One place to look is the front left of the motor, so passenger side closest to the headlights, and see if it is wet.
saliva2002

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i waited overnight and added about 1/2 inch or less of coolant to the tank to get it to the cold fill line. when i took off the radiator cap I couldn't see any liquid (i could see it on the parts, but no pooling) so i filled it up, no clue on how much. I'll ride it out for a week and check it again, i didn't see any apparent leaks but i'll check again. thanks guys.

(and by bleeding, i take it you mean unscrew the two breather screws and fill the radiator till they leak without bubbles?) or am i completely wrong?

edit:

Found this...

With the engine running and the heater on high.
Open the bleeder valves on top of the thermostat housing, you might have one over on the heater by-pass pipe next to the passenger side motor mount, but I've seen a few cars without them so maybe you don't have one.....be very gentle, they're made of brass and twist off very easily.

Arrow so does that mean while the engine is cold, or wait til it gets warm and sucks in all the coolant?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When the fans cycle on, I believe the cooling system is in an open(flowing) loop, which is when you want to open the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing.

You'll want to have the car up to running temperature (roughly from 11-12 oclock position on the gauge) to get the fans cycling.

I bled mine three times, two days apart to make sure the air was all out of my system.

Remember to put the proper mixture of coolant and water into your system. If you're using Dexcool it needs to be mixed with water. If the mix is wrong, the coolant could freeze and damage the car.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: