NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - '01 9C1 no crank
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

'01 9C1 no crank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kthelen

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject:  '01 9C1 no crank Reply with quote

Hello all!

Just picked up a 2001 Impala (9C1) that was DOA after a fuel line leak and subsequent fire atop the intake. Fortunately there was little damage; only the the fuel lines, fuel rail, spark plug wires, and a few other odds and ends were harmed.

The car had sat for better than a year in this state, so I also had to remove and charge the battery. It took a charge fine and passed a quick load test.

Having fixed all that, I made my first attempt to crank it. I received one key with the car, an obvious replacement (no rubber head).

Put the key in, turn to Run; fuel pump runs (yay, no leaks, holds pressure!) and DIC alternates between Battery and Security. Turn to Start, all lights go black except for the MIL - does not attempt to crank. Return to Run, DIC shows Battery only (no more Security). I can do this as many times as I want with the same result.

Tried the 10-minute Passkey relearn, no dice. Tried the 30-minute Passkey relearn, no luck there either.

Hooked up the scantool. PCM hadn't set any codes, but the BCM sure had (total of 9 history codes). There were several regarding the door locks and DRLs, as well as a couple that seemed more relevant:

B2964 - Key-In Ignition Circuit High
U1016 - Loss of communication with PCM

From reading various things, it seems the two most likely culprits would be failure of the BCM and/or associated wiring, or that the car is in need of the famous Passkey resistor bypass. (I'm leaning towards the latter, but since this car isn't behaving quite the same as described elsewhere I'm not positive.)

Before I begin extracting the ignition switch, would anyone else be willing to weigh in on this?

--Keith
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is the security light flashing several times before it switches to the battery light, or is it alternating steady between security and battery? Have you checked the crank relay and checked to see if the starter is getting power? If it is, you might just have a bad starter.

kthelen

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Is the security light flashing several times before it switches to the battery light, or is it alternating steady between security and battery?

Steadily alternating.

Frank wrote:
Have you checked the crank relay and checked to see if the starter is getting power? If it is, you might just have a bad starter.

Not yet. Will check that next.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Since it's steady (and not flashing), it's probably not a passlock issue unless the battery has been dead for so long that you need to do the full 30 minute relearn.

I would make it a 33 minute relearn (3 x 11 mins each) just to be on the safe side. Wink

kthelen

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just checked, and I do have power at the crank relay. Shame on me for assuming the worst, and skipping the obvious!

Onward now to the (most likely) straightforward fix. Thanks for the help!
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Burnout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: