NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Failed emissions. FML!!!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Failed emissions. FML!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mykillmo

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Snif ! Failed emissions. FML!!! Reply with quote

Well this happens today. I moved to Denver a little over a year ago. I have to get my car registered by thanksgiving. I went to emissions testing today, and failed miserably today. I have a ZZP 3" downpipe with a highflier cat. I kinda figured I would fail but I had to go for it. Yep. Totally failed. Their NOx levels allow 1500. My catr registered 3200. Does anybody know how I can fix this without losing my go fast goodies and my mind? I'm willing to cheat if I must. I was wondering if I could bolt on another cat after my highf flow cat as a buffer and pass. Just a thought. I don't know s**t about emissions.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pull the downpipe out of the car and throw in a stock DP with cat and run it until your check engine light goes away then go back in and get tested, then swap your aftermarket back in after you pass.

Problem is junkyards will not sell used cats. Your best bet may be to find someone that is parting a junked car out on Craigslist if you don't want to buy new.

I have ported exhaust manifolds, cold air intake, colder plugs, smaller supercharger pulley, and a downpipe with the u-bend delete and aftermarket high-flow cat. I have passed roadside emissions for the past two times (every other year) even though I have a check engine light constantly on for the P0420...so you may actually have an issue if you are reading that far out of spec. I don't know what mine reads since Air Care Colorado doesn't send me anything in the mail - when I get my registration renewal card from the county it either says roadside emissions passed or emissions not required depending on what year it is.

If you drive exclusively highway miles for several trips for decently long distances and your high-flow cat is functioning properly your P0420 code should ideally disappear for the next engine start or two. Provided everything is functioning properly, that is your other option (which is what I did when I had to go in for emissions testing in MA and before I had mine checked when I moved to CO as well). I don't know if CO will fail specifically for an emissions-related CEL or a not-ready system (codes recently cleared) but MA would.

Mykillmo

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't have The stock stuff. The previous owner did a hack job on the exhaust. My buddy at ZZP put the new down pipe in and welded it in because there was no way to bolt it on anymore. Also I have no rear O2 sensor and no check engine light. It has been deleted from the computer. . Don't know if any of this was a good idea anymore. If I can somehow make this a bolt in application, I would be willing to throw you a little $$$ if I could borrow yours Smile.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't have the factory cat and DP anymore...I have an aftermarket drop in. I forget who made it but they stopped making them about ten years ago. I can't lend you mine since I need my car.

As far as welding something in, once you get a factory drop-out you could pick up flanges from an exhaust shop and I could weld them in for you, but we would have to drop the exhaust off the car once we cut the pipe and tack weld the new one since it's an arc welder. I could also help you cut the cat out and just weld a new high flow one in without any flanges if you think yours is toast, but we'd still have to tack it and drop it out to weld it all the way around.

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.3

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just register it in KS. LOL

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is a magnaflow highflow cat that you can order that will pass emissions
Here you go
http://www.magnaflow.com/02cat.....rsal=45009

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What kind of mods are you dealing with? Given you said the car had some hack job work done to it, it makes me wonder if the EGR system is still there. If that is missing, that might explain your high NOx levels.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
There is a magnaflow highflow cat that you can order that will pass emissions
Here you go
http://www.magnaflow.com/02cat.....rsal=45009

I hope these work on our cars. Although I got a universal cat installed on my car 8 days ago with no problems...so far.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the other site i visit regularly(oqcgp.com) uses that cat when zzp's cat fails the ontario sniff test.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
timpala11
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I got the fake O2 sensor from ZZP and that worked out real nice for me. That was years ago of course, I'm a little fuzzy on the details. It was easy though.

Casey Lee is the greatest girl in the world!!!
<3 <3 <3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: