NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Mileage on cluster question
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mileage on cluster question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staran68
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject:  Mileage on cluster question Reply with quote

At around 80k miles, i removed the cluster from my LS, and replaced it with the monte SS one. I recently sold the 80k cluster to someone, who put it into his car which he says had about 110k on the car. When he plugged it in, the mileage came up as 170k or so.

Has anyone else run into this before? Shouldnt it have shown up at the 80k? Im pretty certain (although i could be wrong) that the mileage is stored on the cluster, because i recall having to have it programmed into the monte SS one i put into my car way back.

Thanks for any advice on this
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's not stored in the cluster. It's stored in the computer. So to get an accurate reading, you'll have to take it to a Chevy dealer and have them program the cluster.

Check around to see if you can have it programmed by some other place. I'm not sure how much a dealer would charge.
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mileage is stored in the cluster. Is it set to miles or kilometers?
staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

was miles, when it was in my car. is it possible to change it between miles/kilometors by accident?

Also, this is the part that i was confused about.. If mileage is stored in the computer, why would you need to have the cluster programmed? Shouldnt it display what the computer reads?

All i know for fact, is when i bought my monte SS cluster from BBEngineer way back, i had to have him program it to my current mileage. Based on that, i would have assumed the cluster i removed from my car with 80k miles, should have still showed 80k miles when it was reinstalled into someone elses car.. wierd..
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

staran68 wrote:
Based on that, i would have assumed the cluster i removed from my car with 80k miles, should have still showed 80k miles when it was reinstalled into someone elses car.. wierd..
It should. I bought a used cluster from a member here. The mileage showing on the cluster when he pulled it out of his car, was exactly the same when I put it in my car. The dealer can't change the mileage. They send the cluster to repair centers that repair/replace clusters, & radios. In Florida, they use Technicar, in Oldsmar Florida. GARY

Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know first hand it's not stored in the cluster. I had my temp gauge go bad so I purchased one from ebay. Factory one had 126,000 miles. The new one I purchased had 85,000 miles. It did not adjust. I had to program it
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sorry, but it is. For many years, I was the parts guy at the back counter of the Chevy dealer. When a customer would come in with a bad cluster, we'd have to get a replacement from Technicar. Rather than send the customer's cluster out to be repaired, & lose 2 days of shipping & another day to be repaired, we'd call Technicar, tell them what cluster the customer had, & give them the current mileage. They'd program that mileage to a cluster they had in stock, & we'd have it the next day. That cluster would go in the customer's car, & the mileage would be correct for the car. We'd then send the original back to Technicar, they'd repair it, & some time later it would go into another customer's car. They kept on hand many clusters they repaired to be used as "exchange units". But they always had to program the customer's current mileage into the cluster before they sent it to us. This is the procedure we used at least 10 times a week for years. GARY

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2000-2005 is stored in the cluster for sure.

I was under the impression from an earlier post that the mileage was not stored in the cluster in the 2006+ model, but in one of the computers in the car (http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=43112). Apparently it is stored in the cluster only.

Last edited by Frank on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 am; edited 3 times in total
Bill58
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
2000-2005 is stored in the cluster. 2006+ is stored in one of the computers in the car.

It's been over 18 months since my '06 got OverKill ecm/tcm but, I only remember giving vin and mods info. Mileage didn't change after install. Did need a case learn however as they weren't my oe computers.
staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

a little bit late, but i forgot to mention that the car/part in question is a 2001
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Fearless2005 wrote:
I know first hand it's not stored in the cluster. I had my temp gauge go bad so I purchased one from ebay. Factory one had 126,000 miles. The new one I purchased had 85,000 miles. It did not adjust. I had to program it

That would indicate mileage is stored in the cluster. If it was stored elsewhere, you'd have gotten an accurate number when you swapped the cluster.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Frank on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm sure there are a few members here who work for a GM dealer who can confirm that when a 2000-2005 cluster is ordered from the "exchange center" they ask for the mileage on the car so they can program it into the replacement cluster. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
I'm sure there are a few members here who work for a GM dealer who can confirm that when a 2000-2005 cluster is ordered from the "exchange center" they ask for the mileage so they can program it into the cluster. GARY

And BBEngineer made you sign a form verifying your mileage before he would program his LED clusters.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Per GM on the 2001-2005....
Quote:
The IPC displays the vehicle mileage and trip mileage as determined by the IPC. The IPC calculates the mileage based on the class  2 vehicle speed message from the PCM. The IPC calculates mileage based on the class  2 wheel speed message from the EBCM if a loss of communication or malfunction occurs with the PCM. The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected. The odometer displays either miles or kilometers as requested by the activation of the English/metric button on the driver information center (DIC). The associated indicator km illuminates in metric mode.

Quote:
To change the display to a metric or English reading, press the RESET and MODE buttons at the same time. Hold them down for three seconds, and the display will change. A chime will be heard to confirm the new selection. The DIC will send a class 2 message to the IPC to change the units displayed in the odometer

Last edited by ZSPOT on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: