NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - "Traction Active" started popping up...but why?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

"Traction Active" started popping up...but why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject:  "Traction Active" started popping up...but why? Reply with quote

Its happened 3 times in the last few weeks. Twice after backing out of my driveway and once today when I left work and backed out of my parking spot. Conditions were dry and driving was normal. The light goes out after a few seconds.

Is this a sign of bad things to come? Any ideas whats causing it?

EDIT: I dont get any other lights or DTCs...

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like the start of a bad wheel speed sensor to me. You might be lucky and find out its just a worn pigtail. I know my Intrigue used to trigger the TCS nearly all the time backing up until I fixed a pigtail that was rubbing on the knuckle.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yep, check the harnesses on each corner.

Mine was intermittent for a few years before completely crapping out, now I just drive with the traction and abs lights on.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject:  Re: "Traction Active" started popping up...but why Reply with quote

rc10mike wrote:
Its happened 3 times in the last few weeks. Twice after backing out of my driveway and once today when I left work and backed out of my parking spot. Conditions were dry and driving was normal. The light goes out after a few seconds.

leaves, dirt & small rocks on the drive way can cause your wheel to slip which activates the electronic differential. which is the funny noise you hear when is activates .
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject:  Re: "Traction Active" started popping up...but why Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:

leaves, dirt & small rocks on the drive way can cause your wheel to slip which activates the electronic differential. which is the funny noise you hear when is activates .

True, but you really have to try to get the wheels to slip under normal conditions.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
snoggle

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject:  probably wheel hub/ sensor assy Reply with quote

"Traction Active" when backing up was my first sign of problems.
Be aware that it takes an ABS capable scan tool to see codes for that system.
As mentioned earlier, a physical inspection of the ABS harnesses and connections for damage is a good idea.

My problem progressed to a "Service traction soon" indication. Eventually the computer can tell that a sensor is bad. It's just hard for the computer to tell loss of pulses from the wheel sensor is because the wheel is stopped versus the sensor has lost connection or is bad, so you may not see an ABS code at first.

I eventually had to replace both front hub assy. First the computer flagged the drivers side bad, then I replaced it. Later the passenger side went bad and I replaced it too.

I've gone about 50k miles now without a problem. Look for good quality replacements, there are cheap ones available that aren't very good. The Timkens I used cost about $100 each.
Bill58
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject:  Re: "Traction Active" started popping up...but why Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:

I don't think the 4t65e has eLSD. The noise you hear is the abs pump.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject:  Re: "Traction Active" started popping up...but why Reply with quote

Bill58 wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:

are you sure it's the abs pump as I never hear it in normal braking also what about the cars without ABS and hub sensors??

so I would assume it's electronically controlled somehow by the transmission

This transmission is electronically controlled, including an electronically controlled lockup torque converter - See more at: http://etereman.com/blog/uncat.....x4xov.dpuf
Bill58
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject:  Re: "Traction Active" started popping up...but why Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
Bill58 wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:

are you sure it's the abs pump as I never hear it in normal braking also what about the cars without ABS and hub sensors??

so I would assume it's electronically controlled somehow by the transmission

This transmission is electronically controlled, including an electronically controlled lockup torque converter - See more at: http://etereman.com/blog/uncat.....x4xov.dpuf

Normal braking doesn't activate abs so it makes no sound.
Cars without ABS and hub sensors don't have abs.
4t65-e is electronically controlled but doesn't have eLSD. Your link lists trans electrical functions, no electronic diff function listed. eLSD is in high-end cars, think 2014 Corvette Stingray.
Do some research on traction control and abs, there's plenty of info out there.
ImpalaMan04

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject:  Re: "Traction Active" started popping up...but why Reply with quote

rc10mike wrote:

EDIT: I dont get any other lights or DTCs...

I was having the same issue, the Traction Active light would sporadically come on after backing out of my parking spot. It turned out to be a bad wheel speed sensor. I had to have the hub replaced since the wheel speed sensor is built in, but that fixed the issue.

- Frank

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject:  Re: "Traction Active" started popping up...but why Reply with quote

Traction control cheap fix drive threw water.

seem my ABS has stopped acting up after driving in 5 inches of water .

Has not came on once at all today Shocked and I was driving around for a while. not even in the drive way.

as of today 12/1/2013 it still works great..[/b]
GeneH

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Oh yes !  Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I drove around for months with the "traction" lights on. I ignored it until my wife threatened to take it to a dealer to get it fixed. I used a multi-meter to test the ohms of each wheel bearing sensor. I found the driver side rear was dead. 0 ohms. I replaced that wheel bearing and problem solved. Plus I saved the $$$ the dealer would have charged. Smile Very Happy
jwalker

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Had the same issue with mine which became worse over time until it never worked. I did some digging around in the pig tails as i had recently replaced the hubs and found the shielding around the wires (on both driver fwd and passenger fwd) had cracked and the wiring rusted through. I easily replaced both and that fixed the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: