NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - '01 LS Low beams won't come on
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

'01 LS Low beams won't come on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Snif ! '01 LS Low beams won't come on Reply with quote

I have an odd issue that has popped up on me - My low-beams are randomly not working. My high-beams come on and stay on. My parking lights come on and stay on. No low-beams though. Soon as I start the car, parking lights only. Doesn't matter if I try using the switch manually or not, no change. My fogs work, of course they're separate anyway. Only thing I did prior to this happening was I pulled both headlights like 2 or 3 weeks back because I was buffing the bumper. Once I re-installed the lights, this started happening. I managed to get them back on that very first night by toggling back and fourth from high beams to low (which is real good for the MFS), then they popped back on and stayed on after like 4-6 times back and fourth. I had to do this procedure one more time again in the last couple weeks because they wouldn't come in right away, worked that way again too. Now tonight though I hopped in and no lows again, but this time toggling back and fourth from high to low wouldn't 'jump start' the low beams. What gives?

I haven't checked the low-beam bulbs yet - no. What are the odds BOTH bulbs went at the same exact time, and if even, why did they both come back on eventually previously? I'm kind of stuck now not being able to safely drive at night. I can use the fogs and highs, but I won't get too far w/out being flashed by everyone (with good reason), and I don't really care to run across the one LEO that doesn't like the fact I'm driving around w/highs on and me having to explain why that is. Any ideas? Is there a fuse just for low-beams?
Thanks

Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I believe their is a fuse for just the low beams, but it sounds like your MFS has gone t*ts up. I had the same symptoms when mine went - I would be driving down the road and suddenly have no headlights. Sometimes they would come back by toggling the high beams but they would only come back on for a little while and then go out again.

If you don't want to drop the cash on a new one, give Morad Parts a call...just make sure you specify that it needs to have the cruise control on/off switch on the MFS stalk if you have cruise.

REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The MFS is a year old at the most (I'd have to look), got it from Rock Auto, installed it myself. I'd be upset if that's the case.

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Id pull the headlights and reinstall.

If this is when you "created" the issue, maybe they werent installed correctly. Maybe a plug isnt fully seated.

IIRC, the headlights arent wired like you'd think and 1 plug could cause both to crap out.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looking at files.. the MFS I installed just over 13 months ago. It's an OE Pro brand. I can't see that being the issue, at least I sure as hell hope not because that job sucked a bit Evil or Very Mad. I'll look for a headlight fuse and I guess go from there removing and re-installing the headlights. Can't see how they could be put in wrong though.. maybe a pin tweaked when one went back in or something, or like you said maybe one didn't really fully seat in there.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.26

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty solid case of a fried turn signal switch to me.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Sounds like a pretty solid case of a fried turn signal switch to me.
Bite your tongue!! Evil or Very Mad

Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: