NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Best headlights
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Best headlights
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mykillmo

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Idea Best headlights Reply with quote

Seriously guys. Im living in Denver, have no problems seeing while driving in the city, but as soon as I get in the mountains I can't see s**t. I'm having problems seeing at night with my stock headlights with some really nice bulbs. My stock headlights are clear. They might be misaligned but I'm pretty sure they are fine. I'm just wondering if any of these eBay lights help light up the road more than stockers. Any suggestions would be great. I've done multiple searches that are usually filled with arguments. I don't care to argue. Just want some hints. I almost went off the road on the Vail pass. If any of you know the area, that could have lead to my death.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was up Vail Pass last winter and the lines on the side of the road are s**t to non-existent and the rumble strips don't match the lane markings. To make a long story short, I wouldn't want to drive through there at night. The DDM Tuning HID kids are pretty nice, if you want to see mine sometime send me a PM.

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Idea Re: Best headlights Reply with quote

Mykillmo wrote:
Seriously guys. Im living in Denver, have no problems seeing while driving in the city, but as soon as I get in the mountains I can't see s**t. I'm having problems seeing at night with my stock headlights with some really nice bulbs. My stock headlights are clear. They might be misaligned but I'm pretty sure they are fine. I'm just wondering if any of these eBay lights help light up the road more than stockers. Any suggestions would be great. I've done multiple searches that are usually filled with arguments. I don't care to argue. Just want some hints. I almost went off the road on the Vail pass. If any of you know the area, that could have lead to my death.

if you have the fog light option you can USE 885 bulb
50 watt bulbs and aim them a little higher.

50 watt bulbs do in fact work safely in the OEM housing without melting the housing
IMO the fog lights GIVE me better light then the headlights.
I use 50 watt HIGH beam fog light bulbs I suggest low beam 50watts if your foglights are not discolored.

don't worry about amperage fog lights have 10amp fuse
@13.8v (assuming your alternator is working correctly) you will only be drawing 7.24 amps or 3.62 amps per fog light +- 0.2amps

any 800 series bulb will work just look for the low beam type that is 50 watts the low beam will have a coated tip.

You can adjust them you self I did it trial by error. it's better then paying $50-80

just be gentle with the headlights I used vice grips for the headlights and Phillips screwdriver for the fog lights.

the adjustment has save me from running over several Mexicans on bicycles some how they think they are exempt from US laws or state laws & traffic laws
Rolling Eyes

mostly these bicyclist think they are exempt from stopping at stop signs.
my uncle got caught running a stop sign on a bicycle got a hefty fine for doing it.

Mykillmo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The mounting tab is broken on one of my headlight housings. That's why I was considering picking up some of those fancy looking headlights of the ole eBay. Thank you for the advice. Also, I have picked up one of those tickets as well here in Denver on my bike. I got waived on by two cars at a stop sign and didn't realize there was a cop behind me.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I can 2nd the 885 bulb upgrade, as I did this as well and it's quite a nice difference. Of course I also had installed 1 new and 1 very near-new fog light lense (both same brand) at the same time. Combined together it resulted in some nice light throw now from them.

On the headlights though, not much input for ya'. I replaced my weather-checked/cracked stock Autosystems maybe a year or year and a half ago now? And the replacements were also stock used Autosystems, just in better shape than mine were. They're already starting to weather check and get moisture inside just like my other ones . Not sure what I'll go with next. There was registered member here who had bought new TYC stock replacements and 1 was getting the moisture/fogging right away. Had it replaced I guess, and the replacement did the same thing! So if wanting a stock-appearing headlight IDK the answer at the moment. I'd like to go HID myself though.. eventually.

Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mykillmo wrote:
The mounting tab is broken on one of my headlight housings. That's why I was considering picking up some of those fancy looking headlights of the ole eBay. Thank you for the advice. Also, I have picked up one of those tickets as well here in Denver on my bike. I got waived on by two cars at a stop sign and didn't realize there was a cop behind me.
you can manually adjust it by taking off the dust cover and pushing the thing in the middle down a little.
be careful has headlight as bulbs are expensive. So you will need the correct gloves for it.
Just remember little movement is a lot of light location change..

REDLINE wrote:
I can 2nd the 885 bulb upgrade, as I did this as well and it's quite a nice difference. Of course I also had installed 1 new and 1 very near-new fog light lense (both same brand) at the same time. Combined together it resulted in some nice light throw now from them.

On the headlights though, not much input for ya'. I replaced my weather-checked/cracked stock Autosystems maybe a year or year and a half ago now? And the replacements were also stock used Autosystems, just in better shape than mine were. They're already starting to weather check and get moisture inside just like my other ones . Not sure what I'll go with next. There was registered member here who had bought new TYC stock replacements and 1 was getting the moisture/fogging right away. Had it replaced I guess, and the replacement did the same thing! So if wanting a stock-appearing headlight IDK the answer at the moment. I'd like to go HID myself though.. eventually.
More then likely it's not installed correctly best time is to install them on a COLD dry day (between 0% and 10% below 45F-55F )and make sure the area were the seal is clean before install the bulb . Also make sure the rubber seal is not damaged or dried out. I water tested my fog lights and had no leak on the seals the issue was it was just installed on a humid day .

typically when the temperature drops the moisture clings to the lens. That is how you get condensation on the lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS1RIyR6uW8
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

after my hids i put in the silver star headlights at first only low. and i loved how bright they where. so i got the highs and even with lows adjusted right i still get flashed

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
after my hids i put in the silver star headlights at first only low. and i loved how bright they where. so i got the highs and even with lows adjusted right i still get flashed

That is because it is going into traffic and the lens sucks HID is a arc like one used for welding.

are you using the correct projector lens or using the stock reflector??

I always flash people that have poorly aimed headlights .

.it can be quite painful to the eyes, illegal HIDs are the worst offenders not to mention it could cause a accident or a pedestrian getting ran over since it cuts down on the viewing distance for the other driver in the oncoming lanes.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mykillmo wrote:

Did you come to a complete stop? If so, I would appeal it...

The aftermarket projector headlights for the Impala are not nearly the same quality as factory lights, and for a while the harnesses were actually pinned wrong. I would get a used set from Morad Parts or call around to some of the junkyards here in town.

REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
More then likely it's not installed correctly best time is to install them on a COLD dry day (between 0% and 10% below 45F-55F )and make sure the area were the seal is clean before install the bulb . Also make sure the rubber seal is not damaged or dried out. I water tested my fog lights and had no leak on the seals the issue was it was just installed on a humid day .

typically when the temperature drops the moisture clings to the lens. That is how you get condensation on the lens.

There were installed and fine for over a year. They just get to a point where they allow moisture to gather in them over time. Same happened to my stock fogs that I swapped out. Be it seals drying or whatnot, it happens. Otherwise, you're not informing me of anything I'm not aware of Wink

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
Irish_alley wrote:

That is because it is going into traffic and the lens sucks HID is a arc like one used for welding.

are you using the correct projector lens or using the stock reflector??

I always flash people that have poorly aimed headlights .

.it can be quite painful to the eyes, illegal HIDs are the worst offenders not to mention it could cause a accident or a pedestrian getting ran over since it cuts down on the viewing distance for the other driver in the oncoming lanes.

stock reflectors for both Laughing i also flash a**holes with poorly aimed headlights. my hids where 6k (lows). not bad but when you switch from highs to lows cause of a oncoming car they wouldnt be bright enough to counter the other headlights and you could only see the silhouette of things, not good.

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have HIDs in my low beams and have them aimed a little lower than usual to prevent people from being blinded. They comply with state law as far as beam center height at a given distance go, and I have the bulb shroud reflectors in my low beams since I have the older headlight housings. If it's really dark I just through on my HID driving lights which are also aimed properly as well and actually have housings designed for HIDs. I get more spill light but less visibility where I need it when I use my high beams so I don't use them very often.

It might not help that they are probably the original bulbs that came in the car and the car is almost 13 years old, so I am sure that bulb performance has diminished somewhat.

Mykillmo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What do you guys think about these? http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe00chima1.html
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i have sylvania silverstar zxe's for my highs and lows and vision x fogs. i like the way the zxe's give the lights a very slight different look than regular bulbs, and the fogs have a nice light output.
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.09

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What DDM Tuning kit would be recommended for the fog housings? I've seen where at least one person has used the 55W, but I seem to recall someone saying to use only the 35W. And to make sure, it would be the 880 bulb type? And what is an "error eliminator"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: