NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Slow coolant leak, what to check for?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Slow coolant leak, what to check for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject:  Slow coolant leak, what to check for? Reply with quote

I have a 04 SS, and have noticed that I still don't seem to have my slow coolant problem solved. Maybe about 6 months ago I had the coolant elbows replaced, my mechanic claimed that was the problem and they were cracked and leaking. Now maybe a couple months ago I took a quick peak in the reservoir tank and low and behold it was just about bone dry. Added some to bring it back up to cold level and now today rechecked it and it's low yet again. What should I be checking for? I wouldn't think that those elbows are cracked again already, would they? Of course I do have the stainless ones ready to go in if that is the problem ( I bought them with the intention of using them but the mechanic used the plastic ones before I knew what the problem was). Anyway let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is the exhaust white at all when running? Give it a quick sniff. If it's sweet smelling, the coolant is being burned which means internal leaks in the engine.

A visual inspection of the passenger side of the motor will tell you wether the coolant is leaking out and burning/evaporating/dripping on the block.

You may also want to look all the way around the engine where the upper intake manifold, lower intake manifold, and block meet. Any wetness would indicate a manifold gasket leak, which is really common on 2000-2003 ( maybe even 2004) 3.8L motors.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Also, check the coolant level in the radiator. Not just the overflow tank. When you're there, take a good look at the cap itself. Is it covered in some type of gunk? If yes, you probably have an intake leak.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yeah so i took a closer look today, bad news, it seems like i have all the symptoms:

how much would something like this cost at a decent garage? i've looked into doing it myself, but I don't think it's something I want to try and tackle just because of how labor intensive it is with how many steps/things you have to remember to do, and also THE RISK of messing something up permanently in the engine. I definitely think it's something I want to leave to a professional. I love doing stuff with my car, but if it is a gasket leak, I don't think this is something I wanna try.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I can't tell where the leak is from the picture BUT the gasket between the throttle body and the supercharger/upper intake manifold on the L67 is basically made out of paper and can go bad really easily. After mine blew, I scraped it off and replaced it with RTV silicone and haven't had any problems since.

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, it can be kind of labor intensive and nerve racking if you've never torn into your motor before. With parts and labor, to include a good coolant flush, expect to pay around $600. Never hurts to call around though.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If your lived around Milwaukee Wisconsin and brought the parts and beer I would do it for free Very Happy

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Although you seem to have confirmed you have a problem, you can also send your oil to a laboratory for testing to see if a lot of coolant is in the oil. Of course, any coolant is no good. I send mine to Blackstone Labs. They will send you a free sample kit (plastic bottle and mailer package). I think it's about $25 per sample now.

dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok so my girlfriend's dad might be doing the intake manifold job this weekend. he's done the job on a lesabre (3800) but never on a SC 3800. Any knowledge or advice would be helpful. Or if anyone has a good website or writeup/walkthrough for the job on the SC 3800 that would be good too. I've seen a few videos but to have it on paper would be better i think.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.92

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The only difference between the NA and SC motor, as far as replacing the gaskets, is the supercharger.

Its the exact same steps, its just a supercharger instead of an upper intake.

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

coolant elbow from alternator bracket to intake it went on mine...
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Snif !  Reply with quote

hey guess what, i still haven't solved the problem... i think i picked a dud...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: