NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - dump car or fix?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

dump car or fix?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Impala_03
Resident
Resident


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 603
Posts per day: 0.35


2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject:  dump car or fix? Reply with quote

so my impala needs $1500-3500 worth of repairs
current issues

Catalytic converter or exhaust manifold leak?
damaged rear passenger side door panel (inside door panel)
Leaking intake manifold(leaking coolant)
leaking head gasket
bad Air conditioner (losing freon)
possibly alternator need replacement soon since its weak?
spark plugs need replacement assuming original ones
plug cables replacement assuming original ones
Front rotors warped need replacement pads and rotors
Paint chipping off /pilling off
Wipers need replacement (squeaky)
Windshield 2 chips
headlights/fog lights are garbage







so should I dump it and get a working one or fix it.

surely I could find a 2004-05 impala for 3000-4000




Locally i found a Indy limited SS for 5,300
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 18, 2009
Posts: 1039
Posts per day: 0.35
Location: MN

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang


PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Depending on which pic in your garage is the most current... looks like it could also use a buffing? Wink Sorry, didn't mean to add to the list. Speaking of 'list'... sounds like overall maintenance on the car was left by the wayside.

I personally wouldn't have paint chipping and wipers in there on the list. Paint chipping isn't going to effect anything but appearance. Other things listed are more 'must-fixes'. Wipers are, or can be at least, cheap and not a big deal. If you're really tight on money they can be swapped onto another replacement Impala, I guess, lol. But getting back to maintenance... It's not gonna be any less/cheaper with an SS. Food for thought Wink

When/if you part that thing out.. dibs on all 3 tail lights! Smile

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Impala_03
Resident
Resident


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 603
Posts per day: 0.35


2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
Depending on which pic in your garage is the most current... looks like it could also use a buffing? Wink Sorry, didn't mean to add to the list. Speaking of 'list'... sounds like overall maintenance on the car was left by the wayside.

I personally wouldn't have paint chipping and wipers in there on the list. Paint chipping isn't going to effect anything but appearance. Other things listed are more 'must-fixes'. Wipers are, or can be at least, cheap and not a big deal. If you're really tight on money they can be swapped onto another replacement Impala, I guess, lol. But getting back to maintenance... It's not gonna be any less/cheaper with an SS. Food for thought Wink

When/if you part that thing out.. dibs on all 3 tail lights! Smile

I going to go look at the Chevy Impala SS Indy 500 Limited Edition:

I'm sure it was maintained better then my car.


ether i trade it in or give it to my brother...

forgot to add the traction control is acting up again too Rolling Eyes damn front differential
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor


Joined: Mar 01, 2007
Posts: 5744
Posts per day: 1.47
Location: Louisville, KY

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I might sell my Indy.... Cool

_________________
2004 Chevy Impala SS Indy Edition - 3800 Supercharged - Alot of Mods
Contact me for LED interior conversions

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.58
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Buying another cheap Impala isn't going to solve your issues, you will just be trading on set of problems for another set of problems.

How many miles are on yours? If it's past 120k, I'd say it's time to put it out to pasture and find something more reliable.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 18, 2009
Posts: 1039
Posts per day: 0.35
Location: MN

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:

I going to go look at the Chevy Impala SS Indy 500 Limited Edition:

I'm sure it was maintained better then my car.


ether i trade it in or give it to my brother...

forgot to add the traction control is acting up again too Rolling Eyes damn front differential


My point is/was that your impala seems to have been lacking in maintenance, either by yourself or someone else. Owning the Indy wouldn't get you into a car needing any less maintenance, it's still going to need various things that W-body Impalas need at various points in their life. If you don't plan on fixing those as they arise and let the problems stack up, you'll just wind up in this situation all over again at some point with the SS, whether it's sooner or later who knows, I'd wager sooner though. You won't get piss for a trade in on yours with it needing said work. If it's worth nothing or not much to you though, then I guess trading it is an option because you'll get something, on paper at least. Giving it to your brother is an option I guess.. is he capable of fixing it or will it just continue to be driven with the problems and more?
HotSauce6226 wrote:
I might sell my Indy.... Cool

How come? Bored with it?

IffyG wrote:
Buying another cheap Impala isn't going to solve your issues, you will just be trading on set of problems for another set of problems.

Pretty much.
IffyG wrote:
How many miles are on yours? If it's past 120k, I'd say it's time to put it out to pasture and find something more reliable.

Lol, why's that? Should have an easy 100k left in the motor.. assuming at LEAST oil changes were done on time.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.58
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:

IffyG wrote:
How many miles are on yours? If it's past 120k, I'd say it's time to put it out to pasture and find something more reliable.

Lol, why's that? Should have an easy 100k left in the motor.. assuming at LEAST oil changes were done on time.


Between my father and myself, we have owned half a dozen 3800 powered W-bodies. They do great up until about 100k and then it's all down hill from there. I kept my Monte way longer than I should have and ended up flushing nearly 5 grand down the drain on transmission and fueling issues that could have been a down payment on a car I actually wanted...

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 12756
Posts per day: 2.55
Location: Tullahoma, TN

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

also, remember the SS will require 91+ octane. If you live on a tight budget, that may not work for you.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 18, 2009
Posts: 1039
Posts per day: 0.35
Location: MN

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Between my father and myself, we have owned half a dozen 3800 powered W-bodies. They do great up until about 100k and then it's all down hill from there. I kept my Monte way longer than I should have and ended up flushing nearly 5 grand down the drain on transmission and fueling issues that could have been a down payment on a car I actually wanted...

Were the issues more non-motor related though? Just general W-body common issues (unsure of your fueling issues)? Just curious because I've so far only had one 3800 give me grief after 100k and it was more around 150k I believe where the motor started burning oil. The car itself was a Pontiac, so of course there were various other issues with it... Bonneville though, not a W-body.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.58
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Most of the cars were non motor related (with the exception of failed LIM gaskets on every one of them). The Monte Carlo was the problem child of the bunch with all sorts of transmission issues, leaking gaskets, failing sensors, etc.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 18, 2009
Posts: 1039
Posts per day: 0.35
Location: MN

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well of course the LIM. I think I also have this issue with my 4.3 S10 Blazer, which is just fantastic Rolling Eyes. That's a cheap job
Otherwise, moms has an old Regal with around 120k on it and the motor is seemingly in great shape. Doesn't burn oil, doesn't appear to currently need LIM replacement (although I'm no expert in recognizing when they do), and it's pretty zippy. In fact I think it would take my Impala.. which is odd since it's the same motor. But otherwise, knock on wood, no major issues since she's owned it... which has been a couple/few years I think?

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.58
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Part of me has always wondered how many people that say there are no problems with their W-body happened to pick it up used after someone else dealt with the issues. I think I'm one of the few (at least on this forum) that picked it up new and stuck with it for a full decade and 135k miles...

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Impala_03
Resident
Resident


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 603
Posts per day: 0.35


2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
also, remember the SS will require 91+ octane. If you live on a tight budget, that may not work for you.
I use 91 in the winter other wise i lose a lot of MPG with regular in the winter fuel

91 is still on summer gas normally tell the spring time

i only get about 17MPG-22MPG on winter fuel 87

so paying the extra 30 cents for 21/30 is worth it for summer fuel..


the difference is only 3$ per 10 gallons of fuel
as long as I can get a minimum of 25-30 highway which more then likely is achievable based on how I drive .


I could provably get 35MPG by hypermiling.


REDLINE wrote:


My point is/was that your impala seems to have been lacking in maintenance, either by yourself or someone else. Owning the Indy wouldn't get you into a car needing any less maintenance, it's still going to need various things that W-body Impalas need at various points in their life. If you don't plan on fixing those as they arise and let the problems stack up, you'll just wind up in this situation all over again at some point with the SS, whether it's sooner or later who knows, I'd wager sooner though. You won't get piss for a trade in on yours with it needing said work. If it's worth nothing or not much to you though, then I guess trading it is an option because you'll get something, on paper at least. Giving it to your brother is an option I guess.. is he capable of fixing it or will it just continue to be driven with the problems and more?

I do not think my brother will get it fixed because he will end up wreaking it before then. he is not a very experienced driver.

I had several close calls my self (I had right of way)

1: red light runner
2: big rig red light runner(stopped in middle of street.)
3. near side swipe (person did not check before entering into traffic)
4. person making left turn fail to Yeld (this was extremely close by mire inches he was in the passing lane on my side of the street while i was passing by his car was in motion) I was going 50-55mph and had to FLOOR it, and swerve around to avoid that crash.





it had 5 owners before me.


Last edited by Impala_03 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 18, 2009
Posts: 1039
Posts per day: 0.35
Location: MN

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On the flip side of that thought, Iffy.. I wonder how many have picked one up used that has been cheaply fixed when problems arose. $15 rotors, $12 pads, $29 hub assemblies, cheap plugs/wires etc... then dump it. Then the new owner gets to deal with a growing list of maintenance a year or so later after their new purchase and wonder why their car seems to be falling apart all of a sudden.

Impala_03 wrote:

I do not think my brother will get it fixed because he will end up wreaking it before then. he is not a very experienced driver.

Okay.. Well is this car potentially going to leave him stranded somewhere/time? lol
Impala_03 wrote:

it had 5 owners before me.
Shocked

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.58
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
On the flip side of that thought, Iffy.. I wonder how many have picked one up used that has been cheaply fixed when problems arose. $15 rotors, $12 pads, $29 hub assemblies, cheap plugs/wires etc... then dump it. Then the new owner gets to deal with a growing list of maintenance a year or so later after their new purchase and wonder why their car seems to be falling apart all of a sudden.


You make an excellent point. I'm sure both cases happen far more often than anyone would think.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: November 18, 2017, 11:00:19 pm
Page Generation: 0.13 Seconds ( SQL 45:160 in 0.01 Seconds )