NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Car feels like its going over rumble strips when warming up
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Car feels like its going over rumble strips when warming up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordJezo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject:  Car feels like its going over rumble strips when warming up Reply with quote

2003 Impala LS.
285,000 miles.

It only happens during the first few minutes of driving the car then I wont feel it again until I leave work in the evening or use it again the next day.

During the first few minutes of driving I always no feel a rumble when getting up to around 45 - 55 degrees. It will be smooth then --rumble strip--- smooth ---rumble strip--- smooth then maybe again 30 seconds later, then nothing at all but smooth driving for the rest of the trip.

Struts/shocks were replaced last summer.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

sounds like something thats only working when first start when in the open loop phase

Id look into the EGR valve, MAF & IAC

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Inspect your tires. Tread separation could be causing the rumble which disappears when the faulty tire becomes warm from driving.
LordJezo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
sounds like something thats only working when first start when in the open loop phase

Id look into the EGR valve, MAF & IAC

Is that something I can even do or do I need to take it in?

lostwrench wrote:
Inspect your tires. Tread separation could be causing the rumble which disappears when the faulty tire becomes warm from driving.

What would I be looking for? I plan on replacing the tires next year if I make it through the winter, I will have to check the age on them.. I do have three types on there now due to blow outs and nails, but this wasnt always happening, just the past few months.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can clean the parts, look online for a turorial

As for the tires, look for a deformation in the sidewall or tread, may need to take wheel off car to inspect all surfaces.

Examples below...

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject:  Re: Car feels like its going over rumble strips when warming Reply with quote

LordJezo wrote:
2003 Impala LS.
285,000 miles.

It only happens during the first few minutes of driving the car then I wont feel it again until I leave work in the evening or use it again the next day.

During the first few minutes of driving I always no feel a rumble when getting up to around 45 - 55 degrees. It will be smooth then --rumble strip--- smooth ---rumble strip--- smooth then maybe again 30 seconds later, then nothing at all but smooth driving for the rest of the trip.

Struts/shocks were replaced last summer.

I use falken tires on my car .

stay away from Firestone/bridgestone all they make is faulty tires.

I had a death-stone tire and it had tire separation issues that tire was manufactured in 2011.

good thing I noticed the thumping it before it had catastrophic failure i.e blow out..
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great post Pitch! Pretty much says it all.

Jezo, you have 3 different tires, thats a screaming clue. Even though they may look decent, thats just not good enough. Thats three different tread patterns, three different reactions to temperature (it is getting cooler now), three times the trouble really.

A quick "poor guys cure" would be to put the two matching tires on the front reguardless of tread. A bad tire is better to have on the rear if you have to have one-if its in the front you'll feel it & it causes more damage (tie rods, struts, ect).

MAF, EGR, IAC are all issues you would have in park. You have a "moving" problem Wink
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

QuickNick wrote:
Great post Pitch! Pretty much says it all.

Jezo, you have 3 different tires, thats a screaming clue. Even though they may look decent, thats just not good enough. Thats three different tread patterns, three different reactions to temperature (it is getting cooler now), three times the trouble really.

A quick "poor guys cure" would be to put the two matching tires on the front reguardless of tread. A bad tire is better to have on the rear if you have to have one-if its in the front you'll feel it & it causes more damage (tie rods, struts, ect).

MAF, EGR, IAC are all issues you would have in park. You have a "moving" problem Wink

I seen a tire blow out before on the freeway the person was going 75-80mph when it happened too.

it was a rear tire . we did pull over to see if it damaged the car since it was raining chunks of tire & rim all over our car..
we allowed him the right of way to pull over. . the driver was able to maintain going straight with out losing control.

also blew out a tire on a rental car before (avoiding a accident that happened in the oncoming lanes car was pushed into our lanes ) that was a Chevy Aveo

rental place did not charge for the blown out tire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: