NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Keying a Blank to my car...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Keying a Blank to my car...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject:  Keying a Blank to my car... Reply with quote

Ok...I bought a blank key & fob from "gopedxr7" here a couple of weeks ago.I had not got the new one/blank cut when low & behold I threw my existing keychain into the garage from out in my driveway...(don't ask)...and the only ignition key I had broke off the keychain and disappeared somewhere in my garage/abyss.My garage has so much s**t in it,I haven't found it yet after a couple of days of searching/cleaning. Sad

Anyway,my question is...what exactly should I expect to have a locksmith need to do to get the blank cut? Does it need to be programmed? Basically,I need some info from you guys w/o hearing a bunch of BS from a locksmith about what I need to do,and paying more than need be.

I plan on calling the dealership as well...???

EDIT ; Dealership will key and program any/all keys or fobs I may have for $45 bucks. The rub is that I'll have to get the car towed there.

I have not given up the search as of yet,but I need to be able to drive this car soon.

Thanx for any feedback

Smile

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You take a bus, or get a ride from a friend to any GM dealer with proof of ownership for the car. Title, insurance card, etc. Give them the VIN, & they will cut a key for a few bucks. Now you can drive the car to the dealer to program the transmitter, although it's pretty easy to program by looking on the internet. I do know my 05 did not need the key programmed when I made copies at Home Depot for $2.25 each. "14R2" was the part number for the blank at Home Depot. GARY

patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
You take a bus, or get a ride from a friend to any GM dealer with proof of ownership for the car. Title, insurance card, etc. Give them the VIN, & they will cut a key for a few bucks. Now you can drive the car to the dealer to program the transmitter, although it's pretty easy to program by looking on the internet. I do know my 05 did not need the key programmed when I made copies at Home Depot for $2.25 each. "14R2" was the part number for the blank at Home Depot. GARY

Getting there isn't a problem...been driving my better-half's X-Terra this week...luckily I work nights as she works days. I had been looking at Fob-Programming just prior to this on the web...and,although we have a recent thread about it,(via fellow user ChiTown,I believe) with seemingly no success,that is not my biggest concern. But,I will call the dealership and inquire about the option/approach you mentioned.

Will update...if anyone else cares to chime in,after you're done laughing or shaking your head at me,please do. Embarassed

EDIT ; Dealership says they will,in fact,do what you have suggested. I'll probably go that route since it won't cost me a fortune.

Thanx...hopefully my next post will be the final chapter.

Dealer cut the key at no charge...but,it doesn't work. Rolling Eyes

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Going back this morning...they say they'll cut one for $9. He did ask if the key/blank I brought them yesterday had the Chevy emblem,blah,blah,blah...which it does. Regardless of whether it's "GM" or not,they won't cover it since they didn't sell it to me.
Not a big deal if it only costs me $9 a key to get it done. Just a lil' FYI,as if most of you didn't already know.

The moral of my story (to myself) is that procrastination sucks,even at a minimal level.That's when it ALWAYS seems to bite me,anyway. Shocked

Will update.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Having an extra set or two comes in handy. Razz Even though I lost my others. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

patyson wrote:
Going back this morning...they say they'll cut one for $9. He did ask if the key/blank I brought them yesterday had the Chevy emblem,blah,blah,blah...which it does. Regardless of whether it's "GM" or not,they won't cover it since they didn't sell it to me.
Some dealers where I worked did carry original GM blanks purchased from GM, while others carried Curtis blanks purchased from the guy who sold us our key machine. Also, some dealers used cheap hand cutters that required referencing key codes from charts & those keys we cut were successful about 75% of the time. The last dealer where I worked had a computer run machine that cut the key from the code with no chance for human error. I still have a pocket of factory original ign & trunk keys from pre 69 cars that had the key cylinder in the dash, not steering column. They are marked GM/Briggs & Stratton, & "YOUR KEY TO GREATER VALUE". GARY

patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well,I'm going to appear to be a complete idiot...but,here goes;

After talkin' to Matt / ZSPOT on the phone,I was informed of something I was not aware of. That being that there is only one key necessary for ignition/doors/trunk. The fact that the ignition key I had was twice as big as the other two I had,which I have never used,got me thinking...scary,huh?...and after a couple more hours of searching for the "bigger" key,I said what the hell and tried one of the smaller keys I had and BINGO!!! Key turned,car started. I had no idea that key would be/is an ignition key. Obviously the dealership guys didn't either as I had showed them that smaller key. The other thing is that somehow/somewhere something was changed on this car...which I find hard to believe,but is seemingly the case.

Anyway,I'm back on the road after a stupid nightmare that seemed to be not easily resolved. WTF

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Embarassed Rolling Eyes

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Which goes to prove its not the size of the key but if you'll use it Wink
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When I went to Home Depot to get a copy of my key, they actually had 4 different key blanks for my car. The part that gets cut was the same on all of them, but the head, the part that actually has the hole for the key ring, came in 4 different sizes, & w/wo rubber. While they would all work, anyone quickly looking at them would think they were all different from each other. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: