NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New garage finished except for driveway apron
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New garage finished except for driveway apron
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.22

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject:  New garage finished except for driveway apron Reply with quote

Here is the new garage. Still keeping old garage as a workshop and tool storage. And new 30' x 24' garage will be for truck and car And will make it easier to detail cars. just waiting on metal roofing and vinyl siding to be delivered friday. And we will be adding a breezeway or lean-to off back of house and concrete pad so Dad won't have to worry about snow and rain and especially ice. And we will tie both metal roofs from garage and breezeway together. It's coming along. where new garage joins the old garage there are 6"x6" posts and the rest are all 4"x6" posts which will make it nice later on when i insulate it. and where the lumber pile is now will be the new apron for the other overhead door.

Last edited by MyDvd7MD on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.26

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Theres nothing better than more room to tinker..

MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That is right. Right now it has an "L" configuration but i can always add another pay to back if need be in future. The present garage was ok for parking the car. But cramped at 16 x 24. And trying to do any work on a car is a experience in tripping over junk. And I actually fit the 2007 silverado in there but mirrors just cleared the 9wx7 hdoor and once in there you could close the garage door with a spacious 2 inches to spare. Laughing This garage will have two 10w x 8 h doors. Plus 10ft ceiling makes it nice. The old garage with only 8ft ceiling made it miserable.
And will give me plenty of room to move around plus if need to i can pull my car all the way to the back of old garage and still get g/f's toyota tacoma in there if she needs work done. Two separate doors give Dad some buffer room when parking because the silverado is big. It's the new body style and when parked next to neighbors classic silverado looks even bigger.
Our neighbors were saying to go with one door 16 x 7. I don't like that idea because you are trying to fit 2 vehicles in a tight area and still will have trouble opening doors of vehicles. that configurations does leave room for work area to the side if it was to be the only space. But That is what old garage is for. Tool boxes, air compressor. Miter saw, table saw, cabinets, shelves, work bench. PLus i will put a 50 ft retractable air hose reel right about where the old and new garage meets so i will be able to reach about any part of the garage.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.39

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Two doors is better in my opinion, provides better space for pulling in and opening car/truck doors - just sucks having to buy additional openers (or dealing with manual overhead doors for occasional use).

I was going to comment about not seeing footings for a lift, but the ceiling is 10 feet.

Coming together nicely, it'll be a good workspace when it's done!

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.63

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you can get wider than 16' door if you want. I know a local garage door company by me has them up to 24' wide.

I have a garage project going on now too, but wont post pics since I can fit my garage inside yours...lol

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

24 ft wide single door sounds cool but do they have problem with sag with that width. My Dad's friend has a 16 ft wide single door and he even put an extra wide piece of reinforcement bar across it and it still sags after time. But 24 ft. wide door would have been nice but sounds pricey. LOL.

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.63

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MyDvd7MD wrote:
24 ft wide single door sounds cool but do they have problem with sag with that width. My Dad's friend has a 16 ft wide single door and he even put an extra wide piece of reinforcement bar across it and it still sags after time. But 24 ft. wide door would have been nice but sounds pricey. LOL.

Have to go commercial rated. My friend has two 20' doors and a 16' door on the front of his garage (45x77 overall size). Its like 10 years an no issues yet. But he went heavy duty commercial quality

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
MyDvd7MD wrote:

Have to go commercial rated. My friend has two 20' doors and a 16' door on the front of his garage (45x77 overall size). Its like 10 years an no issues yet. But he went heavy duty commercial quality

Yes, depends on how much you're willing to spend on the doors. If you want to stick with a cheaper setup, I'd suggest two doors. If you want the Cadillac of garages, a huge single door has a more industrial appearance to it (which is nicer, in my opinion). But a heavier duty automatic opener may be pricey, or you'll be dealing with a pulley system to raise and lower the door, which is a little less convenient.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looking more and more like a garage. It's just the lumber yard is holding up everything they sent walk in door that needed swing the other way. which will be on the same side as the other walkin door only farther forward on new garage to be in line with awning so DAD can stay dry and not worry about ice and snow. Lumber yard also sent ridge material used with shingles instead of metal. never sent the firring strips for the metal to go over shingles on old garage. Sent half metal roof suppose to be forest green and the metal company sent half red and half green. I like decorating for Christmas but not that much. Laughing But everything moving now. Siding and roof and walkin door will be in tomorrow and then awning will go up and contractors expect to be doing concrete later this week. He adds fiberglass to his concrete.

timpala11
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.67

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

looking great buddy!

Casey Lee is the greatest girl in the world!!!
<3 <3 <3
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nice sized Garage with a connection to the old Garage.
I am sure you are going to enjoy such a nice place.

I find construction differences interesting from place to place.
Here you would have had to have an 18 inch Deep concrete foundation footer poured all the way around and at least a 1 foot high concrete foundation wall for the posts and walls to sit on.
Nothing wood is allowed to touch earth.
Exceptions are garden sheds or farm out buildings.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VictoryRed09 wrote:
Nice sized Garage with a connection to the old Garage.
I am sure you are going to enjoy such a nice place.

I find construction differences interesting from place to place.
Here you would have had to have an 18 inch Deep concrete foundation footer poured all the way around and at least a 1 foot high concrete foundation wall for the posts and walls to sit on.
Nothing wood is allowed to touch earth.
Exceptions are garden sheds or farm out buildings.

Same rules for wood here in Southern Ontario, but frost depth is 48 inches. Pipes have to be buried at least 48 inches for sanitary or storm and roughly 80 inches for water.

jumpman23_ss
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Soo you have a garage in side your garage?? GARAGECEPTION. Shocked
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Finally it's almost done and I just want everyone to know Dad is doing great since his stroke, and he has had one catarac removed and waiting on the other one. And Yes i have my other garage 15 x 24 and the new garage 30 x 24 connected so it is now 30' W x 48' L I now have room. Laughing Plus old garage makes nice workshop. Just waiting on the driveway apron to get done which i hope is soon but weather crappy. But until then i have to clean up mess extra lumber and metal roofing panels. And straighten up my "workshop" Check all the pics of before with crappy deck and check out new lean too and garage. And as you can see The apron is formed just waiting for weather. And the garage floor has fiberglass in the concrete for durability and to make it last. Cost a little more but worth it. But ice guards for metal roof and gutters were the final things.
BEFORE

AFTER

Tizzle625
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.07

2008 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nice!! Now can I come over to grill work on my car? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: