NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - GM Coolant Question
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

GM Coolant Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.07

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject:  GM Coolant Question Reply with quote

So my father had his water pump replaced on his '06 Impala LT. I noticed the mechanic put in Peak Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant to replace the lost coolant from replacing the water pump. It was the 50/50 mix. Question I asked why as GM vehicles required Dex Cool. The answer I got was, "This will work with almost any car. You will be fine. We actually don't even have any more Dex Cool in stock at the moment." It was also pointed out that roughly a quarter of a gallon was used instead of a full gallon/full system. Confused

My father apparently didn't seem to mind. If it was my car, I would have done an immediate coolant flush. Question is, is it alright to mix the two as it was only "a quarter of a gallon?" I've researched and found it's not exactly good to mix the two but it wouldn't cause any immediate issues. Should the coolant be flushed and replaced with proper coolant?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not familiar with Peak, but look into it and check it's compatibility. My father in law thought he was doing me a favor by throwing in "compatible" coolant and I ended up getting a flush, thermostat and all new Dexcool within a month, because the mix gunked everything up.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A lot of the 50/50 premix is compatible with most. I'd do like lingenfelter said and check on its compatibility.

Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.07

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This is all done after the fact so the Peak coolant is already in his system. Compatible or not, I told my father to let me do the flush just to be safe. We'll see if he listens. Razz

But I was asking for curiosity sake.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When in Walmart, I see 2 different Prestone coolants. One says Dexcool, & the other says it will mix with any coolant. When I flushed my coolant, this is what I used, but according to the jug, it mixes with anything. At another parts store, I found a coolant which said "original green coolant" but I forget which brand. To answwer the OP, it was only a quart that was added. I wouldn't worry, unless it was the original coolant in which case, it's time for a flush. But if the coolant was recently changed, I wouldn't worry about it. GARY

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.29

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

To answer your main question,... you should be fine. I wouldn't worry much about it. However, I flush my Dexcool every 30K regardless, so nothing stays in there too long. Smile

http://www.peakauto.com/produc.....utomotive/

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i thought everyone was flushing their dex because of the problems with it and gaskets? and because if this most people where switching to the green stuff

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
i thought everyone was flushing their dex because of the problems with it and gaskets? and because if this most people where switching to the green stuff

Needless, Dex is fine as long as your system doesn't have air in it (which it shouldn't).

The problem is owners taking inadequate care of their vehicles or failing to recognize issues.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Like transmission flushing, there are different views on this topic. At work, the heavy line mechanic whose only job was to rebuild, & replace engines took his brand new S10, drained the Dexcool, & replaced it with green coolant. When I asked him why, he replied "If you've seen what I've seen, you'd do it too". This is a guy who takes engines apart every day, so I trust him. But, when my gal's 06 Monte Carlo hit 85,000 miles, & 7 years old, I decided to flush the Dexcool, & replace it with green coolant. I was surprised the Dexcool came out looking clean, & pink. So it goes both ways, but I will still use green coolant for future flushes. GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

it was mainly the crap gaskets used by GM and the combo of aluminum, iron & plastic parts. They all expand and contact at different rates and the OEM gaskets couldnt make up the difference when the parts warped slightly. This allows air into the system causing the coolant to fail.

Dex just reacts to the air differently than the green coolant. If your particular car is prone to gasket failure, they will fail no matter what coolant you use. If you maintain your car and periodically check the fluids, you would see the Dex changing and can immediately fix the problem. If you dont check things out and you have a gasket issue and dont know about it, you will have problems.

In other words, Dex gets blamed for bad gaskets and engineering.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

makes sense. the thought of "dex is so bad, flush and use the green stuff" kind of seamed odd since they still sell dex and use it lol

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: