NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - tune up.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

tune up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcal_impala

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject:  tune up. Reply with quote

believe it or not im at 145k miles on my 3800 impala and I think its time for a tune up.lol.I purchased the car at a used car lot with 98k miles so I thought it would of had fresh tune up and I won't have to worry about it,but I checked my car out of curiosity and it had the stock plugs from the factory with the stock delphi wires.(I will post pics soon)... now im going to replace the plugs with the ac delco 41-101 from factory but what about the wires?should i go ac delco or delphi?
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Where your wires plug into the coils, are your wires numbered to match the cylinder numbers on the coils? GARY

norcal_impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I dont think so there just wires but there not numberd.I might be wrong though why you ask?
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

norcal_impala wrote:
I dont think so there just wires but there not numberd.I might be wrong though why you ask?
I ask because in my 30 years of GM dealership parts guy experience, the wires that come on a new car from the factory are numbered to help the guys on the assembly line quickly connect them to the correct place. Also I have never seen Delphi wires come on a car from the factory, only AC Delco wires with the numbers. While some parts we sold at the dealer were Delphi, wires never were. I'm just saying it's very possible your car had a tune up before you bought it. My 05 Impala still has the original numbered spark wires to match the numbers on the coils. The replacement Delco wires we sold at the dealer did not have numbered wires. Of course, it's possible Delphi wires might have been used if the Delco wires were not available when the car was built, but I have never seen that. GARY

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well the plot thickens. I popped the hood on my car, & looked at the wires. While the plug wires themselves say AC Delco, & are numbered for each cylinder, the rubber boots that plug into the terminals on the coils say Delphi. But they are the originals that came with the car, so I wonder who actually made them? AC Delco, or Delphi. I've never seen this before. GARY

TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Well the plot thickens. I popped the hood on my car, & looked at the wires. While the plug wires themselves say AC Delco, & are numbered for each cylinder, the rubber boots that plug into the terminals on the coils say Delphi. But they are the originals that came with the car, so I wonder who actually made them? AC Delco, or Delphi. I've never seen this before. GARY

Shhhh... It's a conspiracy!!! Razz

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I looked on my wires the actual wires have the cyl numbers that they belong to. the thing is that there a/c delco wires with Delphi boots too.lol
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great, then they are factory wires. Time for a change I guess. I was just trying to save you $ if they had already been changed. My car has 150,000 miles, & the factory wires. I'll change them too when I can get down to Ft. Lauderdale to see my mechanic friend. He's done this hundreds of times. Usually a 6 pack will take care of the labor. GARY

dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

same as with mine. delphi boots, ac delco wires.
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

all i know is, the rear 3 are a PITA! lol I can change all 16 in my hemi faster than the 6 in a 3.8 lol

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: