NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Importing stuff tax/duty question
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Importing stuff tax/duty question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject:  Importing stuff tax/duty question Reply with quote

I need tires for the SS. Being 18" that's gonna be pretty expensive. Looks like tires are considerably cheaper in the US, provided I don't use the most expensive places. I have learned there's no duty on tires made within the NAFTA region, but I would be charged HST when I return to Canada. Maybe that only refers to a short day trip just for tires, because if I spend more than a week in the US I get $750 of merchandise per person duty free and they never charge HST either, so why would they do so on tires? I would be getting the tires while on a 2 week vacation in the US. Assuming I go the legal route and fess up on the tires, that is, just for argument's sake. Anyway, If I pay HST, that would mean I paid sales tax in the state PLUS HST. You never have to pay BOTH, but the states never refund sales tax. Does anybody know the route one takes so one does not pay both, while going the legal route? Illegal route would be not telling them about the tires but they(Canada Customs) do check and they do know that people dirty and scuff them to fool them. Maybe for a 2 week trip they don't care?

Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.76

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Living in the border city to Detroit, I cross into the USA almost once a week. I also purchase items online quite frequently and either ship them over or kick them up. My last purchase was a set of wheels for my Corvette. The shipping charges across the border can be ridiculous sometimes so what I did was ship my items to the place called "The Detroit Mailbox" (www.detroitmailbox.com) You ship your items with your name and their address for only $5ea (under 70 lbs) then pick them up whenever is convenient for you. I also got lucky with the officer and she did not have me pull in to pay taxes. This is what Ill be doing when I buy the tires.

From my understanding, you cannot pay both duty AND taxes. One or the other. If the item is built in North America, you do not pay duty and only taxes. If the item is built outside of North America, expect to pay duty. Also, they usually go by how long you have been outside the country. I do not know the exact amount per day, but when I was in Disney World in May for a week, I brought back just shy of $1000 and was fine. Other times, I've gone shopping in Michigan for a few hours and brought back $300 worth of merchandise and have had to pull in.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

-Frank

Sold 28/10/11
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've known people who go and buy the tires, hit a few backroads to kick up some dirt, then come back across the border.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
I've known people who go and buy the tires, hit a few backroads to kick up some dirt, then come back across the border.

Yeah but as I said, they're wise to that.

There's no duty on tires made within NAFTA. It's the tax I am curious about. States never refund sales tax. I don't want to pay both the state sales tax and the HST in Ontario. But this being a 2 week holiday it would fall under my exemption so they probably won't ask for it. But what if I only spent an hour in Buffalo? They'll charge HST and I should get my NY sales tax refunded. But they don't do that.

Frank: yes you do pay both tax and duty on things. You do it when you buy something in a store. The duty is in the price. Whenever I order something shipped from the USA, I have no exemption because I didn't spend any time there, and I pay the duty and I pay the HST since I didn't pay the sales tax in the state from which it came, and I even pay HST on the duty!

blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No way around paying both the state tax and the HST.
You "could" buy the tires in BUF and have them mounted there. Wash the car and shine up the tires ( so you dont have clean tires with dirty rims and a dirty car ) then try to cross. If you can hit up a could gravel roads so there is an even coat of dirt on the whole vehicle then it will make it less obvious.
I know guys who just buy tires and parts on-line and have them shipped to a warehouse for pickup on the US Side. Then they show the invoice and pay the HST when crossing back into canada. Still cheaper than shipping and customs fees shipped to Canada. If you will be ther for 2 weeks then buy and mount the tires the first day. 2 weeks of road grime and it wont be new tires anymore Smile
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

blacknome wrote:
If you will be ther for 2 weeks then buy and mount the tires the first day. 2 weeks of road grime and it wont be new tires anymore Smile
This.

madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah but I mentioned that in the first post and then somewhere down the middle I mentioned that they are wise to that. Do you guys just read the title and the first line or something?

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No, I base my comment on 17 years experience living in Montreal, & going to Plattsburgh NY, & playing the cat & mouse game with Canadian Customs. Even had an engine put in, drove the car home, They never looked under the hood. I came home with all kinds of crap & never declared anything, but I made sure I had my story straight. I once came through with a car loaded with 74 Plymouth Road runner doors, & bumpers, from a Florida junkyard, tried to declare them because they were too large to conceal, & the guy still waved me through as he was too lazy to care. So yes, I would just have them mounted, make sure they are available in Canada too, & drive. GARY

Last edited by 9C3 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

madbrad wrote:
Yeah but I mentioned that in the first post and then somewhere down the middle I mentioned that they are wise to that. Do you guys just read the title and the first line or something?

May just depend which crossing you use. I know people who've mounted tires and hit a dirt road less than 6 months ago.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

madbrad wrote:

LOL you sound a little paranoid. Unless you show up at the border with a dirty car, with dirty wheels covered in the tire techs finger prints and clean spanking brand new tires with the stickers still on them then its not going to be obvious to the customs inspector. They are more concerned with guns and illegals than a new set of tires or a trunk full of groceries. If you are that concerned about it and don't want to get caught in a lie then just save yourself the stress and pay the tax. Yes they will suspect a "day tripper" of an illegal import moreso than someone who has been there a couple days / weeks so be convincing Smile
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not paranoid, it's just that everyone is out to get me!

I think the 2 weeks will mean I get exempt as it would fall under the general merchandise exemption. I think a better tactic would be to wash and wax the car and tire shine the tires. Make it look like you're trying to make them look new. It's like drinking beer after the cop shows up to your car wreck, so he can't tell if you drank anything prior.

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wasn't going to say, but what the heck. A couple of months ago one of my large cars made a trip to New Hampshire. While there, it had 18 tires installed(no tax in NH) So I guess the point I'm trying to make is, it's really up to you, to take the chance or not Smile

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

not knowing much/anything on the boarder, i have to ask. but why cant you just say you had them on the car for a while. get them put on as soon as you cross then drive around for a week or two how ever long your staying. even with the tread depth being "new" how can they tell how you drive and how long you been driving on them?

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This reminds me of a joke I heard years ago. A guy lives on a border town, & every day he crosses with a 10 pound sack of sand on his back. The customs guard inspects the bag every day, & finds nothing but sand. It's a small crossing, so the cyclist has the same guard every day, Finally, the guard tells the cyclist, he's retiring after 20 years, it's his last day, & for peace of mind, he needs to know what the cyclist is smuggling. Even though he inspected the bag of sand every day, he knows he's smuggling something. He pleads with him, & tells him he will not press charges. OK the cyclist tells him, as I've seen you every day for years. I've been smuggling bicycles. GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

do they actually take note of EVERY part on a car to know if it was changed? Because I cant see them knowing if you had new tires on the car when you crossed the first time. I've gone through those crossings in the past, never remember them taking note of the age or even the model of tire on my car. And when I return, dont remember seeing them pull out a "file" for my car to see if things matched. It would take hours for each car to make it through the crossing. It would be backed up to Mexico.

^^^sarcasm filled statement^^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: