NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - How to clean chrome exhaust tips, also works on Rims.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How to clean chrome exhaust tips, also works on Rims.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject:  How to clean chrome exhaust tips, also works on Rims. Reply with quote

So ever since I got rid of my cat my tips go yellow FAST, in about a week they are completly yellow and its very hard to scrub off. untill my wife handed me these.

I laughed, but thought wth, to my surprise they work wonders! even works on rims, takes off brake dust and pretty much anything like butter.

I took a video just to show you.(click on pic for video)

some of you may already know this but i thought i would share.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The commercial has long told me it's suitable for car wheels. Ha! It's abrasive. There's no way that thing is ever going to touch my wheels. It's great for getting hand prints off the walls, as long as the paint is not flat.

grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have used the pads on my wheels for a few months now and they havent put any marks on them yet

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You won't see marks, it is abrasive and it scratches the finish. It's very fine and might not be too noticeable. It will remove the shine. Even if you can't see anything, you have done damage to the coating. It's like paint there. Never use anything abrasive on any thing glossy. Not even a fine abrasive like a Magic eraser. On some wheels it might never be evident or even be a problem if evident, but on my SS wheels which have a high shine, NFW! Several uses of magic eraser on them will dull it. Also the less then shiny surface will then hold dirt and be harder to clean. Magic eraser's abrasive is suspended and washes out with use, so that it becomes a plain sponge, eventually. The abrasive is as far as I can tell(and I could be wrong) is the only thing in it that does any cleaning. It does so by scratching. It's a milder version of Ajax for the kitchen sink. I wouldn't even use a magic eraser on a bathtub, because I wouldn't want micro scratches present in it that will hold dirt.
On the factory SS tail pipes, I don't see a problem with it because it's a harder surface. It isn't a clearcoat, and it looks to have a bit of a brushed finish anyway, even if it wasn't that way in the showroom. The tailpipes get a lot of abuse in traffic and you can 't revive the factory shine without actual polishing anyway, so I'm OK with a magic eraser on them. Even if I did cause a more brushed look on the tips with a magic eraser, that would be OK with me. I would know I didn't remove any coat of anything anyway. I would even dare go a bit more abrasive than a magic eraser on the tips if needed, if there were some tough mark that it didn't work on. Maybe even Ajax. I would play that by ear.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Abrasive product. Try rubbing a wet mr clean sponge on your cheek or forearm, you'll see what we're talking about.

There are a few good products if you want to really shine things up, but I wouldn't put this product on the list.

Also, you're uncatted? Are you outside of the emissions testing zone? If so, I'm jealous. If not, I don't know why you'd bother taking the cat out between emissions checks, doesn't seem worth the trouble.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

buy clamp on tips, put in dishwasher with some jetdry.

I used to do this with my tips and my hubcaps from my 64 Impala before getting rims. Wash them first to get most of the crud off.

Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
Abrasive product. Try rubbing a wet mr clean sponge on your cheek or forearm, you'll see what we're talking about.

There are a few good products if you want to really shine things up, but I wouldn't put this product on the list.

Also, you're uncatted? Are you outside of the emissions testing zone? If so, I'm jealous. If not, I don't know why you'd bother taking the cat out between emissions checks, doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I am uncatted and inside the etest zone. The new etest is all threw the obII port and as long as everything shows ready,which my car does, it passes. My brother all ready did it in his 05 mustang gt

3.69 gears soon!!
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
Lingenfelter wrote:

I am uncatted and inside the etest zone. The new etest is all threw the obII port and as long as everything shows ready,which my car does, it passes. My brother all ready did it in his 05 mustang gt

Didn't know the OBDII was how they did the new etest. I had my etest done in December, right before the changeover - but the Canadian Tire guys said they didn't know how the new system was going to work Rolling Eyes .

I guess as long as they don't do a visual inspection, you're all good. Doesn't your exhaust smell worse now though?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
I guess as long as they don't do a visual inspection, you're all good. Doesn't your exhaust smell worse now though?

Worse??!! That's the smell of sexiness Wink

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

TeenBeach wrote:
Lingenfelter wrote:

Worse??!! That's the smell of sexiness Wink

As a fan of classic cars, I agree. But to an average person the smell is worse. Laughing

grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
grimsin wrote:
Lingenfelter wrote:

Didn't know the OBDII was how they did the new etest. I had my etest done in December, right before the changeover - but the Canadian Tire guys said they didn't know how the new system was going to work Rolling Eyes .

first start of the day you smell it, but smells like racekar Laughing and I go to crappy tire for etest, they never do visual inspection, worse came to worse i would just buy a highflow cat. or gut my stock one.

3.69 gears soon!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: