NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - '02 Impala 3.4L, 170.3k: Sudden NO-START yesterday morning
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

'02 Impala 3.4L, 170.3k: Sudden NO-START yesterday morning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColtHero
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject:  '02 Impala 3.4L, 170.3k: Sudden NO-START yesterday morning Reply with quote

'02 Impala 3.4L, 170.3k: Sudden NO-START yesterday morning

Bought this car brand new in 2002. All original parts except battery, intake gaskets (of course), plugs, wires, radiator and hoses, coolant level sensor, brake pads, can't think of anything else...

Went out in the AM (8:30) to go to work (clear weather), opened the driver's door, had a mouth full of mouthwash (typical) that I needed to spit out, decided to start the car first, so I turned the key - NOTHING (no click, no nothing), door was still open, foot was off the brake (figured that was it), closed the door, put my foot on the brake, turned the key - STILL NOTHING. Radio worked, fan worked, headlights looked strong, battery (side) terminals clean as a whistle. Suspecting the starter (original part), went back inside to grab a hammer, but had to roll the car back away from my '89 Colt (a statue since '02) so I could shimmy underneath. Tried the key first, just for kicks, and the car started!! Drove to work, car re-started when I got there (twice - once for gas along the way, another after parking it). Drove home, started two more times going out to eat, and started fine this morning.

So which is it:

1.) Transmission selector? I didn't think to try starting the car in NEUTRAL. Did rolling the car back manually 3' somehow effectively do the same thing?

2.) The Starter? There was no 'click' when I turned the ignition key. NOTHING. That's why I suspected the starter. But #1 probably cuts out the starter all together, right?

3.) Low fuel? Probably not, right? I only mention this because I drove home from work the night before with the LOW FUEL message lit. I've done this many times before over the years because it's only 27 miles home and I know the message appears with 2 gallons remaining (which is worth about 40 miles, conservatively speaking). The next morning I probably only had 1.5 gallons in the tank (but maybe less). Could I have a weak fuel pump (also original part), and rolling the car caused the fuel to swish around in the tank, aiding the start? I drove the car about 16 miles back to work on this 1.5 gallons left and stopped to fill up, so the tank is full right now.

Oh- there *are* a couple of codes on the computer: 102 and 442. One of them (442, I believe) has been there since I cleaned the throttle body out about a year ago. The other one (102) is new ... but looks to be another cleaning issue (MAF ?). Both probably un-related to this starting problem, right?
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'll go with #1. I think shaking the selector or placing it in neutral would have solved the problem. The selector cable may be slightly stretched. If the problem persists, the cable can be adjusted.

(As to driving with a small amount of gasoline........not good. The fuel pump needs to be submerged in the gasoline to remain cool.)
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject:  Re: '02 Impala 3.4L, 170.3k: Sudden NO-START yesterday morni Reply with quote

ColtHero wrote:

3.) Low fuel? Probably not, right? I only mention this because I drove home from work the night before with the LOW FUEL message lit. I've done this many times before over the years because it's only 27 miles home and I know the message appears with 2 gallons remaining (which is worth about 40 miles, conservatively speaking). The next morning I probably only had 1.5 gallons in the tank (but maybe less). Could I have a weak fuel pump (also original part), and rolling the car caused the fuel to swish around in the tank, aiding the start? I drove the car about 16 miles back to work on this 1.5 gallons left and stopped to fill up, so the tank is full right now.

Oh- there *are* a couple of codes on the computer: 102 and 442. One of them (442, I believe) has been there since I cleaned the throttle body out about a year ago. The other one (102) is new ... but looks to be another cleaning issue (MAF ?). Both probably un-related to this starting problem, right?
you should not let the fuel get that low because the fuel pump uses the fuel the cool it down. hot fuel will overheat the pump and damage it over time.

A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened: A loose or improperly affixed gas cap A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand) A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube Other small leak in EVAP system Faulty vent o-ring seal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: