NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New motor!!!!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New motor!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> C'mon Down!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 12756
Posts per day: 2.54
Location: Tullahoma, TN

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject:  New motor!!!! Reply with quote

GM Fast Burn 385 - 385hp / 385tq


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Oct 23, 2008
Posts: 2082
Posts per day: 0.62
Location: Port Huron, MI

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum


PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

sweet!....this might be a dumb question buttt...why are the brake lines coiled like that? Confused

_________________

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 06, 2010
Posts: 263
Posts per day: 0.1


2009 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nice setup.

The Brake Lines are coiled that way as a Stress Relief because the body and the frame are not one piece like Unibody. The body is rubber mounted to the frame and the 2 move around quite a bit when motoring down the road.

the coils act like little springs so the lines don't vibrate loose at the master cylinder connection or work harden and split open over time.

Just some thing they did way back in the old days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
topgun
Resident
Resident


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 639
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Upstate N Y

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject:  engine Reply with quote

Wow, nice looking. How did u get that in the Imp? and what is your AC compressor connected too? Cool

_________________
Untamed . . . and don't try to change me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Posts: 1113
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Ilion, NY

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal


PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject:  Re: engine Reply with quote

topgun wrote:
Wow, nice looking. How did u get that in the Imp? and what is your AC compressor connected too? Cool


Look closer...........

_________________

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
overlordspock
Resident
Resident


Joined: Jul 22, 2007
Posts: 517
Posts per day: 0.14
Location: Twin Cities, MN

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I so wish I had a car i could drop a brand new engine into....

This is awesome and I can not wait to hear you describe how the car runs now!

_________________

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Jul 03, 2008
Posts: 2573
Posts per day: 0.75
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette


PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

EMMJAY wrote:
sweet!....this might be a dumb question buttt...why are the brake lines coiled like that? Confused



Standard practice for many years was to add a 'service' loop at the end of every hard line. The reason was if the line broke or other wise became not servicable, you could just straigten out the cut and flair a new fitting on with out having to replace the whole line. This is a fairly 'old school' way of doing things.

_________________


Sold 28/10/11
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Oct 23, 2008
Posts: 2082
Posts per day: 0.62
Location: Port Huron, MI

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VictoryRed09 wrote:
Nice setup.

The Brake Lines are coiled that way as a Stress Relief because the body and the frame are not one piece like Unibody. The body is rubber mounted to the frame and the 2 move around quite a bit when motoring down the road.

the coils act like little springs so the lines don't vibrate loose at the master cylinder connection or work harden and split open over time.

Just some thing they did way back in the old days.

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY wrote:
sweet!....this might be a dumb question buttt...why are the brake lines coiled like that? Confused



Standard practice for many years was to add a 'service' loop at the end of every hard line. The reason was if the line broke or other wise became not servicable, you could just straigten out the cut and flair a new fitting on with out having to replace the whole line. This is a fairly 'old school' way of doing things.


thanks guys, that why i asked...i wanted to know lol

_________________

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Oct 31, 2008
Posts: 650
Posts per day: 0.2
Location: Maryland

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject:  Re: engine Reply with quote

outonthetiles wrote:
topgun wrote:
Wow, nice looking. How did u get that in the Imp? and what is your AC compressor connected too? Cool


Look closer...........

No way the a/c is working. The evaporator lines are open, receiver/dryer bracket is empty, the clutch isn't plugged in. Looks great except the rat nest by the evaporator. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Posts: 1113
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Ilion, NY

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject:  Re: engine Reply with quote

Bill58 wrote:
outonthetiles wrote:
topgun wrote:
Wow, nice looking. How did u get that in the Imp? and what is your AC compressor connected too? Cool


Look closer...........

No way the a/c is working. The evaporator lines are open, receiver/dryer bracket is empty, the clutch isn't plugged in. Looks great except the rat nest by the evaporator. Laughing


Was referring to this part:
Quote:
How did u get that in the Imp?

_________________

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Oct 31, 2008
Posts: 650
Posts per day: 0.2
Location: Maryland

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject:  Re: engine Reply with quote

outonthetiles wrote:
Bill58 wrote:
outonthetiles wrote:
topgun wrote:
Wow, nice looking. How did u get that in the Imp? and what is your AC compressor connected too? Cool


Look closer...........

No way the a/c is working. The evaporator lines are open, receiver/dryer bracket is empty, the clutch isn't plugged in. Looks great except the rat nest by the evaporator. Laughing


Was referring to this part:
Quote:
How did u get that in the Imp?

oops, so obvious i missed it......'86 mc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topgun
Resident
Resident


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 639
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Upstate N Y

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject:  engine Reply with quote

hey outonthetiles . . .cant tell when balls are being busted? Cool

_________________
Untamed . . . and don't try to change me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Feb 01, 2010
Posts: 2653
Posts per day: 0.92
Location: Chicago, IL

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

God that looks clean. Nice job. Hows it drive?

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Posts: 1113
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Ilion, NY

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject:  Re: engine Reply with quote

topgun wrote:
hey outonthetiles . . .cant tell when balls are being busted? Cool


Thought you were serious.. my bad.

_________________

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 12756
Posts per day: 2.54
Location: Tullahoma, TN

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks

the AC isnt hooked up. It was too much money for the AC delete bracket and new belt for a temporary fix until I figure out the AC

The car originally had the compressor on the drivers side, so my condenser and lines wont work. I have to source a new condenser with the passenger side outlets and have lines fabbed up. After that, I'll clean up the "rats nest"

Havent really driven it much. Needs new headers and exhaust work. The new headers that are on there now hit EVERYTHING. So Im going with the same cheap crap headers I had before that fit very well but sending out to NitroPlate for ceramic coating. Exhaust will be a Flowmaster header back system.

From what I did drive it (home from shop and moved in yard a few times) Its very responsive, more power than before, no more bog down at passing. Roller cam / lifters / rockers rev real nice, sharp and quick.

Im looking into upgrades for next year, prob the GM hot cam kit (430hp / 430tq) and maybe some "go juice". I thought about a CSC supercharger, but dont want to lose my AC and would have to with the system I can afford.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> C'mon Down! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: December 15, 2017, 5:27:16 pm
Page Generation: 0.13 Seconds ( SQL 45:154 in 0.01 Seconds )