NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 04 A/C issue
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

04 A/C issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject:  04 A/C issue Reply with quote

I think I might have screwed up Embarassed and need some ideas.

My 04, 3.4 Impala's A/C didnt seem to be blowing as cold as it should be, so I slapped on a can of generic R-134 on it. It only took in about 1/3 of the can in about 5-10 minutes. The A/C clutch was kicking on & off a lot, so I stopped it. Stupid me, never hooked up a gauge or any thought, just assumed "it must have a leak, throw more 134A at it." Well.....

Now with the A/C on the clutch constantly kicks in & out. It bogg's the engine down, causing a irratic idle & surging. With the A/C off and everything is fine. Clearly I screwed up!

What should I do now? Living in Michigan, we use A/C about two weeks per year between blizzards Laughing Seriously, I am pretty sure I overcharged the system. I opened up the charging port for about 30 seconds but theres no change. I know this is bad for the environment so I didnt do any more. The car still runs the same with the A/C on. I'm thinking it was overcharged to begin with, my efforts only hurt that. I am NOT good with A/C systems, clearly!

If I put a gauge on it, what pressure am I looking for (clutch on & off)?? What sort of damage am I looking at? Is it worth draining the entire system & starting from scratch (new oil & refrig)?

Thanks for any ideas.
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well the first thing that comes to mind.....Take it to someone that knows what there doing...... How much did you put in? It only holds 2.3 lb when empty. IMO it sounds like it is way over full. You will have to keep letting some out until the compressor starts to run and sound normal. I can't tell you much about pressure unless you have the proper High & Low gauge. Your fans are running I hope?

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll email a chart to you.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bring it to someone who knows what he's doing. Evacuate it completely, & start over. GARY

VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes take it to some one with a Guage Set to see how much pressure you have.

However, The AC clutch does cycle off and on as a normal part of operation. It is not like the old days ( '60's ) when the compressor clutch was always engaged.

Have it checked , it might be that it needs a little more or a little less to settle down to normal operation.
snoggle

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject:  08 Imp AC overcharge troubleshot and written up by expert Reply with quote

This shows you how an expert does it, and the tools required.

http://www.sparkys-answers.com.....-results=1
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply Embarassed
I didnt have time to mess with it so I unplugged the compressor (for now) & the a/c button is off limits-92* outside & all.....That was just my "quick fix hope" to save the compressor & stop the irratic idle, just in case.

The cooling fans are working normally. It only took in about 1/3 of a 12oz (?) can of R-134 before the compressor started its on/off cycle (about 20 seconds per cycle). I do have a/c gauges but they rarely get used & they look bad-lets just say I shouldnt use them!

Thinking, in a last ditch effort, bleed out some more pressure & give it a whirl? If theres no change get some new gauges...
Taking it to a garage is not an option, I'd buy whatever new tools I need & fix it myself if need be Wink Hey, any excuse for a new tool or two and to learn something!
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

From your last post description the AC was not working then when you added the compressor started to cycle at 20 seconds..
You may NOT have added enough.
Low charge cycles frequently.. full charge the compressor runs longer and stays off for longer periods.

Get a can with a gauge on it and and set the guage for outside temp and add until the needle gets into the green.
plenty of DIY videos for how to charge a system with just the gauge on a can of freon.
Not the best option but many people have been successful.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the system should be evacuated and checked for leaks. Unless you are looking to spend a couple grand on equipment, a shop is your only choice.

They will evac the system and put it under vacuum to check for leaks. Then with the system empty, they will recharge the system with the correct amount of freon.

You only pay for how much you need and not the entire charge since they are recovering what you have in there now.

I know people like to save a buck, but some things are not for the home DIYer, especially when they require expensive machinery.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the input NAIOA

I bled off a decent amount from the low side & "whaaa-hoo" the clutch kicked in normal & stayed in. Cooling fans working properly, A/C is blowing at an acceptable temp, everything looks good. I let the car idle for 10 minutes, 92* outside & everything seemed normal. Think I dodged a bullet!
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well there you go Very Happy Most shops like between 250-270 on the high side, on a hot day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: