NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Tail lamp covers.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tail lamp covers.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject:  Tail lamp covers. Reply with quote

Today I was in the local U-Pick, & ran across tail lamps that were painted the color of the 2002 Impala. I know to buy these things is expensive, but I'm wondering if these are factory, or not. All 3 pieces had a thin vinyl covering attached with double sided tape, attaching them to real factory red lenses. The center vinyl piece actually had back up lenses that went right over the original lenses. Under the vinyl coverings were regular tail lamps. Is this how the factory made them, or was this an off shore cheap after market copy, made to be placed on top of the factory lenses? GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

factory covers were a thin molded plastic panel that taped on top of the lights.

here is my 04SS so you can see the covers...

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's what I saw. I would have thought factory pieces would have been made better than that. GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
That's what I saw. I would have thought factory pieces would have been made better than that. GARY

once installed, they are sturdy. If they made them any thicker, they would stick out of the back of the car. Only other option was to redesign the lights for the LS Sport and SS models only. Would have been a pricy venture.

They originally sold through GM parts for around $1k for the set of 3 pieces.

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:

They originally sold through GM parts for around $1k for the set of 3 pieces.
That's my point. I didn't see $1000 worth of anything. Sadly the cover over the right tail lamp was missing, otherwise I'd have got all 3 pieces for $75. GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the center is the hard one to get, the left and right are on ebay all the time

in fact, Rockauto sells them, about $75 each.

so $150 total for the rock auto one and the pieces from the junk yard, not a bad deal

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject:  Re: Tail lamp covers. Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Today I was in the local U-Pick, & ran across tail lamps that were painted the color of the 2002 Impala. I know to buy these things is expensive, but I'm wondering if these are factory, or not. All 3 pieces had a thin vinyl covering attached with double sided tape, attaching them to real factory red lenses. The center vinyl piece actually had back up lenses that went right over the original lenses. Under the vinyl coverings were regular tail lamps. Is this how the factory made them, or was this an off shore cheap after market copy, made to be placed on top of the factory lenses? GARY

I have some (black)
I can do about $250 including shipping for the set of 3.

shipping is going to cost me about $40-50 as It includes the whole tail assembly, no nuts/bolts included though, you reuse you own.

It has the gold bowie so people know it's a 04 or 05 Razz

includes brand new Sylvania bulbs as well which will be preinstalled.
I use slightly higher voltage bulbs so they last longer. 13.8v Vs 12v bulbs
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.75

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
factory covers were a thin molded plastic panel that taped on top of the lights.

here is my 04SS so you can see the covers...

Thought that was my old car for a second Laughing

Sold 28/10/11
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject:  Re: Tail lamp covers. Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:

Not sure about this part;
"The center vinyl piece actually had back up lenses that went right over the original lenses"

...but,I would probably go back and scoop them up.

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The left plastic painted cover over the lens [the right was missing] had a hole in it, so you'd be looking right at the tail lamp through the hole. But the center plastic cover had no holes for the reverse lamp. The cover had it's own reverse lenses that covered the reverse lenses in the red center piece. That's why I asked if it was factory. GARY

patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
The left plastic painted cover over the lens [the right was missing] had a hole in it, so you'd be looking right at the tail lamp through the hole. But the center plastic cover had no holes for the reverse lamp. The cover had it's own reverse lenses that covered the reverse lenses in the red center piece. That's why I asked if it was factory. GARY

It's sounding like an LSX cover,which there have been recent posts here about in the 4sale section...but,without pics,it's hard to say. And it could have been a home-job?

Let the experts chime in Confused

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Confusing description. Below are SS taillight covers:

and LSX taillight covers:

Perhaps the owner of the scrapyard car had an LSX centerpeice with the SS/LS Sport corner covers. Based on the description, that's my best guess. The LSX only has a centerpeice, no unique corner lights or corner light covers.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

...don't forget stock LS Sport covers Wink ...which,fortunately this car came with.

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Exactly the same as the above photo with the Virginia tags. GARY

patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Exactly the same as the above photo with the Virginia tags. GARY

Not with exact tags,I hope. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: