NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2003 Impala Fan and Radiator Questions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2003 Impala Fan and Radiator Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiltrotor22
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject:  2003 Impala Fan and Radiator Questions Reply with quote

Ok, so im dealing with a 2003 Impala Base model 3800 V6.

Correct me if im wrong, but when you first start the car and turn on the air conditioner BOTH fans should run correct??

Currently when the car is started and the A/C is turned on, only the Driver side fan operates.
However, every once in a while FAN CONT 1 fuse blows. Is FAN CONT 1 fuse for the driver side fan? Also, the fan does make some squeeling noises.
To me it seems like the passenger fan or (AUX fan) is bad and the primary is going bad.
The car cant be run with the air conditioner on as it starts to overheat.

Does anyone have the schematics for the fans and associated wiring? id like to check those out for shorts or other problems.

Also, the previous owner used stop leak in the radiator so I will replace the radiator to ensure proper cooling as the radiator looks to be all gummed up.
How difficult is a radiator replacement in this car? Anything I should be looking for, or any helpful hints?

How can I tell if it has HD cooling or not?

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Look on the RPO code decal for the option V08. Of course you could say any vehicle with factory A/C has a heavier duty cooling system than a car w/o A/C. GARY

"How can I tell if it has HD cooling or not?"

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would just flush the radiator unless you want to spend the $$ on a new radiator; GM actually added pellets to the cooling system to stop any slow leaks from the factory.

As far as the fans - I haven't looked at the specs, but the AC pressure or coolant temp has to be over a certain level to kick on both fans. When the bearings in my fan motor started going it was the drivers side fan first - I used a tuner to program the passenger side fan to primarily come on instead.

To test the fans themselves, check for continuity between both terminals. If you don't have continuity/excessive resistance, that motor is shot.

The 2000-2003 (or 2004) fans do not have replaceable motors, while the newer (2005 for sure and possibly 2004-2005 fans) have replaceable motors. The Dorman aftermarket fan assembly has replaceable motors as well as a lifetime warranty.

tiltrotor22
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject:  Well Reply with quote

Id still like the electrical schematics if anyone has them.
Also, im sure the primary fan comes on at 212 and the aix comes on at 221 under normal conditions without AC on, but I need to find out the pressures at which they come on.
Still though, in another thread someone said if you turned on the AC then both fans should run constantly, whats the truth in that statement?

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject:  Re: Well Reply with quote

tiltrotor22 wrote:

Still though, in another thread someone said if you turned on the AC then both fans should run constantly, whats the truth in that statement?
When I start my 05 Impala 3800 V-6, & immediately turn on the A/C, the cooling fans kick in after 10 seconds, & never stop as long as the A/C is running. The temp gage will always sit 2 marks below half, but when the A/C is off, the gage will fluctuate between half, & 2 marks below half. So my car actually runs cooler when the A/C is on. GARY

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject:  Re: 2003 Impala Fan and Radiator Questions Reply with quote

tiltrotor22 wrote:
Ok, so im dealing with a 2003 Impala Base model 3800 V6.

Correct me if im wrong, but when you first start the car and turn on the air conditioner BOTH fans should run correct??

I would take any info from 2004 or 2005 with a grain a salt since the electrical & A/C system is not the same as 99 to 03 (and early 04 batches) production years.

Yes both fans do come on immediately for me on the 2003 model year. when turning it on the A/C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: