NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - fram ultra filters suck, junk
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

fram ultra filters suck, junk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject:  fram ultra filters suck, junk Reply with quote

Tried a fram "ultra" filter las time(Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil 15k) now after only 3k miles I was kinda expecting to get about the same amount.
kinda sucks since now I got to spend $45 on a oil change Sad

AC delco filter lasted about 5,500-6000 miles last time before the oil(Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil) started getting dirty. oil was Clear still at 5k miles.

at 5500 to 6k it started using the by pass since the filter was used up.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just because the oil turns a darker brown doesn't mean that the oil needs to be changed. If there is a concern about the filter, just change the filter out and top off. I run the same oil and use a napa gold filter, which is a rebaged wix. The oil will turn brown with in a few thousand miles, but never black. I have no idea how to tell if the filter is on bypass or not, but a plugged filter will filter smaller particles than a brand new one. Also, how clean is your air filter? A dirty air filter will cause oil to turn dark quickly.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Oil is supposed to darken, if it doesnt then the detergents arent doing their job.

How do you know your filter is being bypassed? Where is said bypass tube?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On a side note, the pressure sensor near the oil filter on the newer model cars will turn the change oil light on if the filter goes into bypass.
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Its probably been posted before, but heres a great site for anything oil-related-

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

You can find lots of info on filter quality there, btw.
bigdog60
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

In a large truck engine ( I know apple and oranges) the oil will turn color in 15 minutes and its going through much bigger filters than a car engine. I don't think you have a problem. imo

Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Regardless of how wrong the OP is about filter function, Fram filters are junk. AC Delco filters are also junk, among the worst filters you can buy. If you're not using Purolator PureOne, Napa Gold, Mobil 1 or K&N oil filters, your oil filter is junk.

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sadly Dan is right. AC Delco filters were once good filters. Now they are made my Champion Labs,... which is Fram. Sad

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Sadly Dan is right. AC Delco filters were once good filters. Now they are made my Champion Labs,... which is Fram. Sad

Champion makes the K&N Filters and had merged operations with Fram. The only thing different about the K&N is the canister with the nut on the end. Otherwise it runs down the same assembly line.
WIX and Purolator for me Smile
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check out the internals of most oil filters. If you've ever cut some open you would be surprised by whats in there (or not in there)!

I used the good old Fram's for years because they were Chevy orange Cool After reading a lot of "internet stuff" I cut one open & didnt see much in there. I've whacked a few others open since then & now I ONLY use the Purolator PureOne (NOT THE WHITE PUROLATOR) filters or Wix if they are available.

The Bobs oil site forum shows a ton of different filter pics, its pretty clear who has a quality filter and who doesnt. Everybody has thier own opinion, but for $2.00 more per filter I'm going with the better quality filter every time!
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Regardless of how wrong the OP is about filter function, Fram filters are junk. AC Delco filters are also junk, among the worst filters you can buy. If you're not using Purolator PureOne, Napa Gold, Mobil 1 or K&N oil filters, your oil filter is junk.
Will that mobil 1 filter at lest get me 5,500 to 6,000 miles though?

I want to at lest get my moneys worth on the mobil 1 full synthetic oil I'm using.

I'm going to be take a 2,000 mile round trip soon and I want to not have to do a oil change after that.

I have not changed the oil yet
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't know who carries what, but some brands offer separate versions with longer filters (more filter media) which often means the filter lasts longer. I've seen Amsoil 12-month filters and very long interval oil (12 month/maybe 25k?). The Amsoil filters are longer but I don't know how they stack up, quality-wise. I've also found Amsoil is hard to find distributor/sellors for in Canada, so I've since changed brands.

If you want a longer interval, you just need more media. A 4" filter or whatever is typical will not filter long enough for extended interval oils.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have been using the mobil 1 extended for the last 120. I change the oil every other "change engine oil" light. At the first light I change the filter and top off. I use a napa gold which is a rebadged wix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: