NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 04 SS running hot!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

04 SS running hot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject:  04 SS running hot! Reply with quote

Just got home from deployment and noticed today the temp is about 230-240..while driving. Is this normal? It was 99F outside too. Ive owned this car for 7 years and dont remember seeing the temp gauge go that high with normal driving, even with the heat outside.

What are some things I can check?

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thermostat may need replacement or new coolant may be in order. Air in the cooling system?

99 is pretty hot by Canadian standards, but idling in traffic will also keep the temps a bit higher.

Not positive on when the fans are supposed to come on, but I believe at least one fan is supposed to come on at 210 degrees, with the second fan coming on somewhere above that. Are your fans running?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When cool, the coolant in the radiator should be just below the filler neck and the coolant in the reservoir should be at the cold mark. You can get an antifreeze tester from the auto parts for for about $5-8.

rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looks like I may have fixed this issue. The radiator was only abut 1/4 gal low. I guess thats enough to cause it to nearly overheat. I also found a small leak at the upper coolant elbow.

So far temps have stayed 195-200 in 95f heat in stop-n-go traffic. I just need to fix the elbow next...

rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Once again, I had to add coolant because the temps would go over 200 with normal driving, and its only been about 6 weeks since my last post...

So I have a leak or so I thought..The elbow doesnt appear to be leaking like I once thought. I dont see any leaks anywhere. No milky oil or trans fluid, and no white smoke in exhaust. I have no idea where my coolant is going. I did notice some dirty spots in the engine bay, so I decided to do an engine bay clean in hopes I can more easily spot leaks when they come back.

I was going to make another thread for this next issue but I guess Ill ask it here too. Every time Im due for an oil change, My oil level is about a quart low. My question is this acceptable? I have no oil pressure issues and no visible oil leaks.

Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

May want to do a head gasket leak test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f.....YQHkWVULn8
rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Allright, since I topped the radiator off a few days ago, engine temps have been normal. In the past I had problems getting heat in the winter, so I put the AC to full heat just to test it out....it was barely warm and the engine was 199F...both heater core hoses were super hot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: