NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 1st gear tranny slip
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

1st gear tranny slip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brennan

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject:  1st gear tranny slip Reply with quote

Also, for te first time since I got my 04 SS 2 year ago, the tranny slipped in 1st gear from a dead stop. Only happened twice in past month. I have Dex 6 synthetic since I bought it and changed filter 2 years ago as well. Any thoughts? Only happens from a dead stop, revs a little and jerks into first.
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like the Pressure control Solenoid is sticking.

If you have it replaced. Replace the Other 3 Solenoids while the side cover is opened up.

Process requires the passenger side of the cradle to be lossened and Drivers side of the Cradle to be lowered down far enough to get the side cover of the trans off.

Not a DIY type of thing unless you have the tools, Heavy Jack and enough jacks stands to keep the car from falling on you.

I had this done on the wifes Buick Century for 800 bucks at a local dealer 3 years ago. Been runing fine since. Price will vary by location and Labor rates.
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.29

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just to clarify,...
is it Dex 6 or synthetic?

I've run into it more than a few times where GM front wheel drive transmissions DO NOT like full synthetic trans fluid. It's too slick. Not saying that it's your problem, but just something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you. Also, how can I be sure that that is the problem? Dexron 6 is a synthetic blend and is what I have in my transmission currently.
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.29

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you trans is slipping, the car will keep a record of it, and keep a history. You could always swing by a place and have your codes read. Not sure if AutoZone can pull history codes or not though.

Dex 6 is fine. It's the full synthetic stuff that sometimes causes issues.

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.49

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
If you trans is slipping, the car will keep a record of it, and keep a history. You could always swing by a place and have your codes read. Not sure if AutoZone can pull history codes or not though.

Dex 6 is fine. It's the full synthetic stuff that sometimes causes issues.

unfortunately not. not with the equus they are probably using. If they are anything like the typical parts stores around here that's what they are using because they sell them and they are cheap. Transmission codes will require a full scan unit. transmission shops will often check for these codes for free though

On the off chance, are you using an oiled air filter? I had a first gear bang/slip and a local trans shop scanned and checked and said my line pressure was maxxed because oil and dirt all over my mass air flow sensor. Whether that holds water or not, not sure. But they didn't try to sell me a transmission for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Actually I am. A k&n air filter. That would be great news and a good explanation.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject:  Re: 1st gear tranny slip Reply with quote

brennan wrote:
Also, for te first time since I got my 04 SS 2 year ago, the tranny slipped in 1st gear from a dead stop. Only happened twice in past month. I have Dex 6 synthetic since I bought it and changed filter 2 years ago as well. Any thoughts? Only happens from a dead stop, revs a little and jerks into first.

Do you have a enough transmission oil?

check in "park" with the engine warmed up i.e: needle in the middle.

flat level preferred

The reason why is it can say full when the car is off, but be bone dry when it is running, this is what was causing the slipping in first gear for me .

I lose about 1/2 quart per week. so I have to check it often..

I do not see any transmission oil on the ground but i know it's leaking since the transmission oil can't be disappearing into thin air Rolling Eyes

good luck

Last edited by Impala_03 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
brennan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes the levels are ok. I always check in gear running.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

brennan wrote:
Yes the levels are ok. I always check in gear running.
You have to check in park. Not in gear.

I would seriously flush it and reinstall Dexron 3 don't change what works.

Dexron 6 is thinner then Dexron 3 so it just leaked out. when o

I removed the Dexron 6 and reinstalled the Dexron 3 ,no more leaking so far , hard shifts, cement mixer sounds, I had issues with gear 1(hard shifts and cement mixer sounds) & 2 (hard shifts)

but I will continue to monitor it. in the next week or two.

Dexron 6 was designed for 6T70 in mind and not the 4T65E, but the 2006 4T65E may have a new reversion code on it.

Last edited by Impala_03 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
brennan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sorry, park was the gear I was referring to. And just to be clear, I have had no issues with leaks in 2 years. Just the random hard shifts I spoke of
Trex

Posts per day: 0

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Pontiac GTO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

got a question also.

I also having this problem but with almost with every gears now. started with only this but progress to where i am at.

What parts do i need to get this problem fix. since i read something like theirs 6 different solenoids or something. and what other parts to replace while i'm at it also. wouldn't mind doing some other preventive maintenance while i have the tranny apart.

worth asking since i can not find an part list of what i need. and again sorry for just jumping in here and ask rather then making another thread.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: