NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Help diagnose fuel issue
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Help diagnose fuel issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jw319901
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Grrrr ! Help diagnose fuel issue Reply with quote

So I had some pretty bad misfiring today- idle and under load. Plugs are within range, so I pulled the, to take a look anyway. Cylinder 3 plug was blizack, all others were normal. Hd the codes checked at autozone: p0303, p0203, p0172 which all point to some kind of fuel injection problem.

Fast forward to tonight. I go out to check things out and replace the fuel filter since I was going to replace it anyway. I depress the f
Schroeder valve to relieve pressure and not a drop of fuel and only the slightest puff of air came out. I turn the key to make sure I here the pump and I do, but I also here a fart like groan come from back there after it pumps and when I turn the key back to off. Fuel filter nut was rusty and I had no pb blaster so I decided to leave it alone.

As a side note, my LIM was replaced about1000 miles ago at the dealership, not sure if that could be related, but I thought I would mention it.

So, what's the deal. If the cylinder 3 fuel injector stuck open? Could that cause the lack or pressure? I know I can check the ohms across the injector, but will that tell me whether or not it is stuck open? Possible to clean the injector or does it need to be replaced? im guessing if i replace one i should replace them all... Could it be the pump? Is the pump a difficult job? Any chance that a screwy MAF could cause this?

Any help is appreciated. Also, 160k on the clock if you are wondering. Thanks guys.

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not sure what exactly blizacked means
But I'd replace the plug then follow the wire to the coil pack then check the other plug that's connected to the same coil pack.
If its fouled then possibly the coil pack is going if not then the plug wire to the bad plug could be damaged. (If a coil pack goes it usually takes out both plugs not just one)
If all is good ( #3 wire is not arching) and number 3 fouls again and the others dont then I'd look at the injector
jw319901
Uber
Uber

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I insepected all the wires and everything looks good. I actually did replace the plug once, and the new one was covered in soot in about 50 miles of driving; sorry i forgot to mention that. No other plugs are fouled, and the codes not indicate a misfire in any other cylinder.

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can check to see if injector #3 is working pretty easy. If you have a stethascope then try that while the car is running. You can also use a long screwdriver, rubber hose, brake line tubing, your finger, ect. You should hear it cycling on/off as the car is running (compare it to another cylinder, rev it up a little & see if it changes with RPM).

50 miles is FAST to blacken a new plug. Does the car smoke at all that you can see? Black soot in the exhaust pipe? Can you smell gas when its running? Oil loss?

Black on the plug usually means oil (rich fuel would be more tan & you would smell fuel in the exhaust), but to just have one cylinder go bad (oil/compression rings) while the others are fine is rare. Dont happen to have a pic of #3 plug do you? I'm not going down that "bad rings" road just throwing stuff out there. I'm leaning towards a stuck open injector or maybe bad intake gasket, but not convinced yet.
jw319901
Uber
Uber

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks nick, here's an update. Switched the number 6/3 coil with the 2/5 coil, last night and also checked the 3 plug wire for resistance- wire checked out fine. Put a new plug in number 3 and drove to work today. Got the codes read tonight and he misfire stayed in cylinder 3. I also had a new code po203 which is a cylinder 3 injector code. I tested the number 3 injector with my multimeter tonight and it is dead. Spec is 11-14 and it only registered 1ohh, other front injectors showed the proper resistance. I'll be picking up an ac/deco injector tomorrow and a set of o-rings. Hopefully that takes care of it. I'll post back after sat afternoon with the results.

Update: replaced injector 3, runs like a top. Got the filter changed as well. All is right in the world.

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thats awesome! Did you replace all injectors or just #3?

I'd be on high alert wondering about the others, but even if another dies out you can swap it in no time. Congrats! Do you think "junk" just clogged it or it actually died?

(now I'm feeling guilty for no doing my fuel filter...new one has been sitting on the shelf for a month now)
jw319901
Uber
Uber

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Only replaced #3, but I replaced all the o-rings. At $100 a pop I'm willing to take my chances. The injector just died- showed no resistance when I tested with multimeter. My LIM went out while driving a couple months ago, maybe it got coolant on it or sumpin... Job was actually pretty easy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: