NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - BCM Replacing
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

BCM Replacing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staran68
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject:  BCM Replacing Reply with quote

My BCM's finally completely dead, after being on life support for the past few months. Ive heard from some that my only option is to buy a brand new one, and have a dealer program it to my exact VIN. Ive heard from other mechanics that that's BS, and so long as i find a BCM from the same year car, with the same options, i can just swap the part and be set to go.

Anyone have any first hand experience swapping a used one into their car? Or can anyone tell me for certain that it can or cant be done? Just trying to find the absolute cheapest and easiest way to keep the car running for a short while longer..

thanks,

richard
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The car will not start unless the VINs in the BCM and the PCM match.

Provided the car you are taking it from is the same year with the same options, you could change the the VIN in the PCM (which is programmable with a tuner) to match the VIN in the BCM (which is programmable only once), do a security relearn, and the BCM would theoretically work. However, the ID code from the airbag SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module, aka the SRS/airbag computer) is also stored in the BCM, so you may get an airbag light and your airbags may not work.

That being said, since they are known to go bad...why would you buy a used one? Smile

staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks for the info. and i was hoping to buy a used one, because not only would it have been cheaper, but i do anything i can to avoid bringing my car to a dealer.. not only is it 13 years old, but ive got a PCM tune from Intense years ago, and am always afraid a dealer is going to screw it up on me..

and also, i assume that even if i buy a brand new BCM, im mostly limited to going to a dealer to have it programmed? if so, i should be able to bring just the piece in and have it done, or is it required to be in the car to be programmed?
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

staran68 wrote:

if so, i should be able to bring just the piece in and have it done, or is it required to be in the car to be programmed?
It must be installed, as all programming is done through the OBD 2 connector under the dash. GARY

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The BCMs come unprogrammed, it has to be installed in the car to program it, and you will have to take it to someone with a Tech 2 to program it - which typically means the dealer. If you are lucky, you might be able to find a repair shop with one.

What people on here have done in the past is drive or tow the car to the dealer, change the BCM themselves in the parking lot, and then pay the dealer just to do the programming. The car will not start with an unprogrammed BCM and additionally will not start without doing the security relearn.

You can do the security relearn without any tools on your own, but the programming/option setup of the BCM requires a Tech 2.

staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks again, everyone. not what i wanted to hear, but exactly what i needed to know, none the less. much appreciated
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I actually checked on how much the dealer would charge me for a bcm last week. I think it was just under 300 bucks, 279 otd.
staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
I actually checked on how much the dealer would charge me for a bcm last week. I think it was just under 300 bucks, 279 otd.

that's for just the part, i assume? they quoted me between $50 and $100 just to program it, if i put it in myself. GMpartsdirect has it for like $125 or something.
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

staran68 wrote:
98ss wrote:

that's for just the part, i assume? they quoted me between $50 and $100 just to program it, if i put it in myself. GMpartsdirect has it for like $125 or something.

I can beat gmpartsdirect's price. Just let me know. Very Happy

Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PM sent, at your convenience. thanks alot
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's funny. I see people on auction sites selling used working BCM's for $50-$70. What they're not saying is they can't be reprogrammed to another car like ECM's can. Rip off. GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
It's funny. I see people on auction sites selling used working BCM's for $50-$70. What they're not saying is they can't be reprogrammed to another car like ECM's can. Rip off. GARY

most people outside of the W-Body community dont know they cant be reflashed. If they are just stripping cars for parts, they simply sell what they have without any knowledge of what can or cannot be used.

If you simply buy a used BCM / ECU / PCM without doing any research, you deserve to get burned whether it was done intentionally or not.

It doesnt take a whole lot of effort to use google.

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:

most people outside of the W-Body community dont know they cant be reflashed. If they are just stripping cars for parts, they simply sell what they have without any knowledge of what can or cannot be used.
But most I see are being sold by junk yards who should know this, since it's their business, not a hobby. GARY

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Pitch Black SS wrote:

But most I see are being sold by junk yards who should know this, since it's their business, not a hobby. GARY

their business is to sell parts, not to know every little detail about every part. Most computers are reflashable, Id say 95% if not more. So why wouldnt they expect the BCM to be.

You ask for a part, they sell you the part, thats all they do. Its up to you to know if that part will work for what you are doing.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
9C3 wrote:
Pitch Black SS wrote:

their business is to sell parts, not to know every little detail about every part. Most computers are reflashable, Id say 95% if not more. So why wouldnt they expect the BCM to be.

You ask for a part, they sell you the part, thats all they do. Its up to you to know if that part will work for what you are doing.

Agreed. These days, there is way too little emphasis on "buyer beware".
It is reasonable in some cases to expect a seller to know what they're selling. But used items in general, I'd suggest doing the research.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: