NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2004 impala SS
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2004 impala SS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject:  2004 impala SS Reply with quote

saw one locally for about 2500 is it worth it?
says it needs transmission rebuild which is about $1800

2004 Chevrolet Impala SS, Supercharged 3.8
Leather interior
Has a minor dent on right fender
Car is SALVAGED
Non-OP tags expired
GARAGED
Reason why i want to sell is because Car won't move, something is wrong with transmission.

I know I can get about 2 grand for the bumper and "front spoiler"
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Tough one, as far as 2g for front bumper/spoiler, what a joke..

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.3

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Meh,....

It might be worth it if you threw a $500 used transmission in it, and drove it. But I think if you tried to part the car out, you'll probably only break even.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject:  ss Reply with quote

Salvaged . . . stay away. Cool

jumpman23_ss
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Personally no. Unless you can get it cheaper and part out the car and make some money that's it. But if you wanna fix it up and use it I would say no. I personally always had a bad feeling about salvaged cars.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2g for the bumper? WTF have you been smoking. More like 400 + shipping if its in good shape

Get it for 1g or less, part it out and make some money. Anything over 1g-1500 its not worth the hassle

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
2g for the bumper? WTF have you been smoking. More like 400 + shipping if its in good shape

Get it for 1g or less, part it out and make some money. Anything over 1g-1500 its not worth the hassle

Agreed, for used. My dad hit a racoon that damaged his bumper and lip (ss components), and the repair was 3700 dollars including paint. But those are Canadian parts and labor prices, and new parts as well.

He should break even on the 2500 price if he sells:

-bumper and lip
-interior (with embroidered door panels, headrests and floor mats)
-spoiler & trunklid
-wheels and tires
-engine with M90
-Maybe some sheet metal? Doors, hood etc.

Of course he'd get some amount of salvage, but I'm not sure how much once the valuables are gone.

Really depends on just how clean the interior and body is, and wether he has any buyers lined up. The best place to start is to get that asking price moving south.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

or just buy a tranny and sell it as a whole car if its in good shape.
I bought a tranny for $500.00, had a friend install it, that was over 4 years ago and still running strong.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
I bought a tranny for $500.00, had a friend install it, that was over 4 years ago and still running strong.

Hell I may go this route. The fluid in my transmission has been black for five years almost. It's bound too break soon.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
00impala123 wrote:

Agreed, for used. My dad hit a racoon that damaged his bumper and lip (ss components), and the repair was 3700 dollars including paint. But those are Canadian parts and labor prices, and new parts as well.

He should break even on the 2500 price if he sells:

-bumper and lip
-interior (with embroidered door panels, headrests and floor mats)
-spoiler & trunklid
-wheels and tires
-engine with M90
-Maybe some sheet metal? Doors, hood etc.

Of course he'd get some amount of salvage, but I'm not sure how much once the valuables are gone.

Really depends on just how clean the interior and body is, and wether he has any buyers lined up. The best place to start is to get that asking price moving south.

Yeah, 2500 part out is do-able, but in what time frame? That's part of the consideration too. I could part that car out for 3g if I wanted an immovable car sitting in my driveway for up to 3 years Laughing

Basically, what I do in a situation is this.

Buy car
Remove parts that go for big money or sell quickly (front bumper, spoiler, interior, motor, etc.)
Scrap the rest of the car for a few hundred (could get about 250-300 around here if its in good condition no interior/motor)

Then you sell the parts quickly. Usually I get less than what I want for it, unless I wanna sit on the part for 6 months. So I take all that into consideration. For 2500 price tag, that's a hell of a lot of work for not much of a profit. Just my opinion, snag it for 1000 maybe even 1500 and its a good deal.

I paid 360 for an indy interior a few years ago. Front seats, 4 doors, dash, and cluster. Figure ~400 if you do the back seat too.

If you got 500 for the front bumper there's right around 900. Trunklid and spoiler I paid 100 for. There's 1g.
If the wheels and tires are good, there's 1400, another 6 or so for the motor, puts you at around 2,000.

The rest of the parts aren't such big ticket items, it could net you another grand or so, but it will take some time. You could throw it on craigslist and see what happens, and if not scrap it for a total of 2200-2300. (obviously I'm just estimating here, but realistically)

That's why I wouldn't go over 1500. A good price would be less than that, but over 1500 there isn't enough wiggle room for me personally.

Also, you could throw in a junkyard trans and sell the whole thing, almost better doing that if you can get it for closer to 2

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
grimsin wrote:

Hell I may go this route. The fluid in my transmission has been black for five years almost. It's bound too break soon.

It might go forever, buddy of mine had a gp gt for 8 years, sold it withh 400 000km and tranny was fine. Never changed fluids lols

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
grimsin wrote:

It might go forever, buddy of mine had a gp gt for 8 years, sold it withh 400 000km and tranny was fine. Never changed fluids lols

It was black when I bought it. I figured i'd change no big deal. Then read on here it's was a bad idea. So I'll see how far it goes.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: