NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Steam from T stat?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Steam from T stat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject:  Steam from T stat? Reply with quote

Today I was driving on the freeway, Hit WOT so a guy would get off my ass, then all of a sudden I notice smoke or what appeared to be smoke coming from my exhaust so I pulled over shut the car off, right away steam was coming from my engine, Pull it open thinking T stat went bad or radiator hose busted, my engine bay is completely covered in coolant, look down at the elbows, missing a big chunk out of the top portion, (thanks GM&Dorman) so had to get it towed back home. (AAA=Free!) had the alum elbows in the house, threw them on, fired it up put coolant back in, checked for leaks, wasn't any. let the car run till the fans kicked on, which they did @ the right time, then decided to bleed out any possible air in the system, let the t stat open, didn't get any bubbles only steam, left it open for over a min, still just steam, car was running a 1/4 past 1/2 the whole time it was running, is there just an ass load of air in my system or whats the deal with just steam coming out of the T stat?

*** After going back outside to try to see what was going on, noticed when I kept the fans on 5 it was not getting any hotter, had a slight smoke out of the exhaust, as well as condensation, my radiator hose to the T stat gets super hot but nothing would come out of T stat, not bubbles,not steam, also my radiator cap was not hot I could touch it with my bare hand, my oil looked like a chocolate look to it.. Could this be head gasket? There is no visible leaks from anywhere inside the engine bay..

Thanks again

Thanks

Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you did indeed fill it back up with coolant, how is your coolant level? I'm starting to think you may have a stuck thermostat or failing that, a bad water pump.

Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i filled up the resivor, i never fill the radiator, im guessing that might be an issue, but i inspected the t stat and it was in the open position when i removed it. I just replaced it last weekend..

**** Turns out their wasn't enough coolant in the system, I topped of the radiator this time and res, and bled the system, its good now, and I get heat. So all smiles for me.. Here is some pic of the elbow..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: