NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Cold air intake/induction systems
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cold air intake/induction systems
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmyimpala

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Cool Cold air intake/induction systems Reply with quote

Hey. Anyone out there who has installed the Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake #307-158-101? I've been searching for something compatible w/ my 3400, then stumbled across this unit from Car ID. Looks like it would work, and is reasonably priced. Then I spotted something on ebay, Intake Spot, for about $35. Any users of that brand? Any feedback is appreciated.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If they don't have an enclosure to keep engine heat out, they're a waste of money. A lot of members opt to build a Fenderwell or bumper intake if they don't want to shell out the cash for an intake system with an enclosure.

If you check the for sale posts here, there may be a good intake for sale by a member.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

brings in more air yet decreases HP since its a hot air intake.

Names like "Weapon R" and "Secret Weapon" spell junk in my mind. Usually garbage items with a "cool" sounding name.

Theres a shop near me called "Big Power Racing", sounds like a Chinese firm selling junk parts on ebay. They build performance cars, but I would just drive by with a name like that.

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The Weapon R unit includes a ram air intake, bringing cooler air from, say, the grill and direct to the cone filter.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

mmmyimpala wrote:
The Weapon R unit includes a ram air intake, bringing cooler air from, say, the grill and direct to the cone filter.

Its not bringing any air from the grille, its all advertising jargon to get people to buy.

- The open element cone filter in the engine bay will suck in hot air from the compartment itself.

- Any air from the grille passes through a 200 radiator heating the air to temps way above ambient temps.

- Ram Air effect only happens at very high speeds and requires direct funneling of air into the throttle body.

- The warm, less dense air this style intake is designed to capture will negatively effect horsepower and engine efficiency.

- Sealed units bring cold air in from the fender / bumper cavities.

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I see where your coming from...are there any tutorials or anything on this forum, which shows/tells how to fabricate a FWI? Judging by everything I have seen in my research, anything that is NOT FWI, is pretty much smoke and mirrors, and a waste of time and cash.

Oops, just saw the sticky about FWI install...I'll check it out.

OK, that wasn't helpful.

Last edited by mmmyimpala on Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Cool Re: Cold air intake/induction systems Reply with quote

mmmyimpala wrote:
Hey. Anyone out there who has installed the Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake #307-158-101? I've been searching for something compatible w/ my 3400, then stumbled across this unit from Car ID. Looks like it would work, and is reasonably priced. Then I spotted something on ebay, Intake Spot, for about $35. Any users of that brand? Any feedback is appreciated.

Don't bother, the stock intake is as good as it gets except when doing some wild setup and than you have to get it tuned.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Cool Re: Cold air intake/induction systems Reply with quote

SuperImpala00 wrote:
mmmyimpala wrote:

Don't bother, the stock intake is as good as it gets except when doing some wild setup and than you have to get it tuned.

Uh no, the stock intake is extremely restrictive. A FWI is much better. Especially in reducing KR

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Cool Re: Cold air intake/induction systems Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
SuperImpala00 wrote:
mmmyimpala wrote:

Uh no, the stock intake is extremely restrictive. A FWI is much better. Especially in reducing KR

Sorry, don't believe it one bit. Unless tuned for it, I have seen plenty of "CAI" on mostly unmodified applications really do nothing. Wildly modified well than yes it would.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If done right, the CAI on an Impala will help out. The factory airbox is very restrictive. Problem is, too many people buying universal or ebay style intakes and those do not work.

Stock Impalas have KR issues, the average person never knows about them because they dont know better. Opening up the intake does help lower KR especially on the 3800 motor.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Cool Re: Cold air intake/induction systems Reply with quote

SuperImpala00 wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
SuperImpala00 wrote:
mmmyimpala wrote:

Sorry, don't believe it one bit. Unless tuned for it, I have seen plenty of "CAI" on mostly unmodified applications really do nothing. Wildly modified well than yes it would.

My KR was reduced pre to post install of the NAIOA FWI, verified via OBDII live data scan. My mods are all listed in my signature and garage. Comments?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mmmyimpala

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, so far.
So, now I'm looking at the WizAired CAI and the JMB FWI systems...pros and cons? (The JMB unit is available from the W Body Store.) The ZZ Performance FWI system is similar to the JMB. On the FWI systems I don't see where the MAF sensor is attached. And will the FWIs work with the 3400?
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by mmmyimpala on Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Cool Re: Cold air intake/induction systems Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
SuperImpala00 wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
SuperImpala00 wrote:
mmmyimpala wrote:

My KR was reduced pre to post install of the NAIOA FWI, verified via OBDII live data scan. My mods are all listed in my signature and garage. Comments?

By how much did it reduce it? How much power did you gain? Dyno sheet? Was this done during WOT? You gotta give me more than " my live scanner said so". If you gained any power, I believe your sacrificing mid range to add to the top range, great at the track but not so much on the street.
mmmyimpala

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Cool Re: Cold air intake/induction systems Reply with quote

Is it just me, or have we gone off topic? I just wanted some advice...not start a war.

SuperImpala00 wrote:
Lingenfelter wrote:
SuperImpala00 wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
SuperImpala00 wrote:
mmmyimpala wrote:

By how much did it reduce it? How much power did you gain? Dyno sheet? Was this done during WOT? You gotta give me more than " my live scanner said so". If you gained any power, I believe your sacrificing mid range to add to the top range, great at the track but not so much on the street.
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Haha, no no war, just trying to get a good discussion on the subject. Apologies if I came off too hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: