NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New wiring assembly for rear view mirror? Or fix original?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New wiring assembly for rear view mirror? Or fix original?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordJezo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject:  New wiring assembly for rear view mirror? Or fix original? Reply with quote

So my mirror has been giving out over the past year or so and it has finally stopped working. I took a look and the wires in the back had popped out, not all of them, but enough to stop everything from working. I tried to put the wires back in after stripping them a little but I can't crimp them at all into the assembly and have no way of opening the piece up to get inside as it's all one unit.

Does a new wiring assembly / mirror connector exist that would work? Is there a way to get the wires back into the one I have now?
KISS

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Probably by now you got your mirror fixed.

I just worked on a 2000 Impala with a 7 pin connector.

That connector is removeable. It's not wires stuffed in the mirror. There is a tab at the top of the connector that needs to be pressed down with a screwdriver or something in order to remove it.

Here is the pin out used on the 2000 Impala:

The mirror pinout is:
1. Fuse Output IGN 3
2. BLK Ground
3. LT-GRN Backup lamp feed
4. Not used
5. Not used
6. Grey Interior lamp out (goes to transistor to ground for interior illumination)
7. Courtesy Lamp feed (+12)

This is GM p/n 12124782 7 way F GT 150 Series BLK. It's just the housing and not the connector.

#6 is a connection to ground via the BCM. it turns on the Map lights in response to the dome dimming.

I might know in about 2-3 weeks if I can get the connector and pins.

I've seen pigtails.

HOWEVER.

The likeliness the wires being the ONLY problem is slim. It's likely internal as well. e.g. wiggling makes functions work.

Your mirror can have a new glass and otherwise rebuilt for $100. When i talked to the OEM Magna-Donnelly, they suggested that the technology has improved that you really should rebuild.

So, you have power to the mirror that operates the auto dim stuff and the back-up lights turn it off.

If you measure grey to ground when dimming, it will start off as 12 V and end up nearly at ground.

With the original mirror, the wire had to be in a specific place for the dome/map lights to work.

with a salvage replacement, nearly nothing worked. I was able to force most of the connector to work with a toothpick as a wedge, but the dome circuit refused. Then the mirror just died.

So, I got the original rebuilt and strain relieved the wire with two wire ties.
The mirror didn't quite dim the same, but the addition of a special taped fixed it perfectly. Alternatively, if you have that problem hold up polarized sunglasses in front of the interior sensor. It can be shaped to fit, like I did with another vehicle. It's basically the same cost. the tape is like $20/roll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: